5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
If you are considering buying this album because you've heard his singles I'm Not Alone, Dance Wiv Me and Ready For The Weekend and liked them, you should definitely buy this because the rest of the album is just as good, if not better, than those singles! Also, if you like his older songs, buy Ready For The Weekend - it's his best album by far.
It's very catchy as...
Published on 4 Sept. 2009 by Louisa

3.0 out of 5 stars ok......
Calvin isn't a very good singer, but when he sings... I DIG IT! Next time I go to the shops i'm gonna walk to the beat of the songs, but don't think the walk will be as funky as when i did it with the first album.
Published on 11 Sept. 2009 by K. Hanson

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready for the Weekend, 21 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
A great second album by Mr Harris.

The album starts off strongly with the varied and funky the rain, my favourite track on the album, it then flows nicely through all the recognisable chart successes that this album seemed to hurl out in abundance. Ending on a somewhat peculiar note for a 'dance' album with a bit of an acoustic vibe to tracks such as Burn's Night. But with Calvin's vocals remaining strong on these tracks they have their rightful place on the album.

Altogether a very smooth and easy listening dance album that is well produced and possesses some hidden gems, well worth investing in!

4.0 out of 5 stars A grown up Mr Harris!, 18 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
So, Calvin's new album - a definate improvement on I Created Disco. Its more grown up with a bigger, fuller sounding album.

Calvin's really worked on vocals on this album, he's done a great jobs with his and others vocals. Lots of harmony work and they sound fresh and pure. The 5th Track "Blue" is a prime example of his great work on his vocal harmonies. - lovely.

The album opens up with "The Rain". A feel good summer driving tune which is a brilliant intro and warm up to "Ready for the Weekend", his current radio smash hit which again is a feel good, electrotastic sythtastic song!

On from there almost every track is a sunny head bopping car driving joy. I've listened to the album 3 times now and it grows everytime.

The album in general is a job well done. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a wide variety of Dance and the electro side of pop.
8/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly there, 9 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
This album is a bit of a mixture. The singles that have been released from it and `The Rain' are excellent but a lot of the rest of the album is only ok. I had it in the cd player in my car for quiet a while and a lot of the songs do sound the same after a while, which is a shame.

The rather overused and unnecessary drug taking references that riddle the first album are gone, and all in all a very good album.

3.0 out of 5 stars deja vu, 20 Aug. 2009
D. J. Hoggett (norwich, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
Is Alan Rankine listening to this, because he should be claiming royalties! This is a blatant rip off, or at best a 'homage' of The Associates early work, most notably 'Double Hipness'. Calvin must be an Associates fan, otherwise this just could not of existed! It's still quite clever and an army of 14 year olds aren't going to complain are they? Wait for 'Party Fears Three'... :)

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALBUM, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
I bought this Cd on the strength of his hit single 'Feel So Close' I thought the tracks may be more suited to someone younger than myself like in there late teens & early '20s'rather than a boring 50's something fart as I am ??? !! , but I loved it from the first time I played it, I shall no doubt be buying more of Calvin Harris music in the future !!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars SUCH a shame...!, 25 Sept. 2009
Andrew J. Bullock (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
Earlier this year Calvin Harris released the amazing "I'm Not Alone" - a track arguably his best to date. This song was superb - it showed a progression in Harris' style, suggesting that he had moved away from the style displayed on his freshman album "I Created Disco", on to a more modern approach. "I Created Disco" was an outstanding album, but its sound was certainly different to the single "I'm Not Alone". It was more nostalgic, and displayed music of the past - it was 80s meets modern electronica. And it was awesome.
"I'm Not Alone" suggested then that Harris had decided to progress with a club track. But it was not a typical, repetitive club track. This offered a mixture of electric, disco and euphoria. The song was structured and mainstream yet clubby, catchy and brilliant. The single was so well thought out and produced - it was a typical summer track, each second of it superb. And on hearing it I was very excited about the release of his sophomore album, "Ready For The Weekend".

I expected an album that would continue Harris' style from "I Created Disco", but that would be more advanced and follow in the attractive, clubby, dance theme of its first single "I'm Not Alone". I expected the album to be consistent in its catchy content - modern and defined. I expected to like each song on it and to come across some real gems.
Then Harris released the next single from this forthcoming album, which shared its name: "Ready For The Weekend". This was nowhere near as good as "I'm Not Alone" and I wasn't bowled over by it at all. But I still highly anticipated the album. What I should have done is realise the sad fact that this new single was a reflection of Harris' new album; it was a forecast that the album would disappoint me.
And it did. And I hate to say it.

"Ready For The Weekend" is nowhere near as good as "I Created Disco". But comparisons aside, the tracks just seem half-hearted, much less memorable and rarely even catchy. It starts well. Although not great, the first song "The Rain" gets you in the mood and warms you up. It acts as an intro to "Ready For The Weekend" which grows on you as you hear it. This then makes way for "Stars Come Out". This is a superb track, by far the best on the album; this is the point where you think "here we go..." and psyche yourself up for hit after hit. "You Used To Hold Me" then follows, which, again, is catchy, clubby and great. "Blue" then follows, which is okay but rather bland. You are then treated to the wonderful "I'm Not Alone", which never fails to mesmerize me with its brilliance. "Flashback" follows which is another decent club anthem. But then, we approach the dead-end. "Worst Day", "Relax" and "Limits" are just weird, pointless and mundane. "Burns Night" tries to be chilled and avant-garde but fails horrendously. Instead it sounds robotic, odd and messy. Hearing it makes me think I'm watching "Austin Powers". The album then redeems itself slightly by offering up "Yeah Yeah Yeah La La La" and "Dance Wiv Me" which are both brilliant - the former currently featured on the Coca Cola ads on TV. "5iliconeator" ends the album on a slow note - this track is laid back and pleasing but after an album that does not match up to expectation, one would think Harris might end with a surprising bang.

I would say that this album is half good. It only features two or three outstanding tracks that are truly brilliant. Then there are a handful of passable tracks - songs that will do and are pleasing and that are worth several listens. The remainder of the tracks, namely the ones that feature three quarters of the way through, are uninteresting, pointless, un-catchy and nothing special. Overall, very few tracks are outstanding here.

And it truly pains me to report this, as I am a huge Harris fan. "I Created Disco" remains one of my favourite and most played albums in my collection and I was massively excited about album # 2. "Ready For The Weekend" however just does not deliver in the way that its predecessor did. "I Created Disco" was consistently good while "Ready For The Weekend" seems like a half-hearted attempt. I hope that Harris makes a third album quickly; and that he builds more on the chic of "I'm Not Alone", developing his dance/club/electronic style into an album that displays this consistently throughout. Harris is typically good at creating catchy tunes with dazzling hooks - we need an album next that demonstrates this flawlessly. And I think he can do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars ENERGY, 1 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
We shouldn't be too difficult while judging the album and trying to seek for deeper layers. Calvin Harris' "Ready for the weekend" gives you energy! Just buy it, it is worth it. It will bring you back to those night where you danced all nights long and those hot and steamy summer beach holidays on Ibiza!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you ready for the weekend!, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
This album really kicked him into the limelight so much more

Wish he'd go back to making some songs with his voice in it like this album, his new stuff is amazing mind you. But a few more tunes like 'Im Not Alone' wouldnt go a miss!

Get this album btw, cant beat it for a party.

4.0 out of 5 stars Calvin strikes again, 22 Dec. 2009
S. May "speed freak" (leicester, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
on first listen to this i was only impressed by the songs that he had released but after a couple listens through though his so far unreleased tracks are the best. songs like stars come out and you used to hold me, are reasons why i love Calvin Harris.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
Soem of his best 'true' songs on here I think, before he became truly popular, the real Calvin lives on this Album I think, would recommend a listen to any techno/dance music fans any Calvin fan has to have this album or you are a bit of a fraud.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Ready For The Weekend
Ready For The Weekend by Calvin Harris (Audio CD - 2009)