5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear - great signal
I have had this Netgear router for about 2 years now and never had any problems and always get a great wireless signal throughout the house, even in the conservatory! I have got a PC connected in the bedroom and 2 laptops downstairs with no issues. Just bought another one for my folks, easy to setup with no problems at all.
Published on 11 Jan 2011 by J. Howell

3.0 out of 5 stars not used
Not used in the end as fault found in virgins modem and replaced by them with a combined modem/router. Can't fault virgin as first problem in 7 years with our cable internet
Published 22 days ago by Peter Ludek

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear - great signal, 11 Jan 2011
J. Howell (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR WGR614 v9 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless-G Router for Virgin Cable customers

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, 3 Jan 2011
I am quite happy with this item. It is easy to configure, and it works perfectly. Don't bother with the Virgin Installation CD, though, I found it just useless and misleading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear wireless router WGR614 v9 54., 29 Jan 2012
I bought this router after having purchased a 'Netbook' that I wanted to use downstairs. I consulted my wife's brother-in-law for advice as he works with computers and he recommended a 'Netgear'. My main computer is located upstairs in a front bedroom with the broadband being supplied by Virgin, via cable. I'm not very technically minded but the router was easy to install between my modem and computer and I was up and running within minutes.The router is smart looking and I can get an excellent signal with my Netbook and my wife's 'I-pod' anywhere in the house. All in all an excellent product that does exactly as it says.

3.0 out of 5 stars not used, 21 Jun 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Not simple.... No CD or instructions, 30 Jan 2013
Just bought this router based on positive comments in other reviews and because my cheap Belkin kept cutting out every hour or so.
Biggest issue is there are no instructions and no CD despite what it says on the box. PLugged it in and it kicked off OK but had frustrating struggle to get my PC talking to it. I consider myself reasonably computer-savvy but it was not straightforward or intuitive. Plugged in the old Belkin to download a manual which only partly helped. One key step was that you have to get control of the router by addressing it through a browser using the URL: [...]. You then log into the router using the username (virgin) and password (password) and the Netgear SmartWizard opens up. The rest of the setup can be done for there 'relatively' easily and you can change the network name and password (which is not the same thing as the router's name and password)

The good news is that it has worked solidly since I set it up unlike my old Belkin router. Let's see how reliable it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally got Wi-fi, hurrah!, 30 Jan 2013
John Meanwood (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Being a Virgin Cable customer, it is very difficult to find a router that will work with it and connect to other items via Wi-fi. I have tried about three different Belkin models, all to no avail; the original Belkin G Wireless Router that I purchased when I first became a Virgin customer connected all the PC's via ethernet cable but I could not connect anything wirelessly. This Netgear is the first router that not only works with Virgin Cable, but also to which I can connect a Galaxy Ace 2 smartphone, a Nexus 7 tablet, two Kindles and a Kobo Mini without any problems.

Took a bit of setting up because there are no instructions, just a diagram on the side of the box and no information as to why it would not connect to the Internet when I first plugged it all in (you set it all up and then it asks you to enter a Router Name & Password and it then brings up another window asking you to put the same name & passwords in, then refuses to connect you to the Internet saying the name & passwords are wrong), so one star off for that. I was nearly at the gibbering stage by the time I decided to enter a router name & password, then switch the entire system (PC's, modem, router etc) off at the plug, count to 20 then switch it all back on again just in case it was a modem problem (which it was). Now works flawlessly.

I am now a very, very happy bunny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cable Router, 27 May 2011
Ignore one of the previous reviews. The product is advertised as a cable router, and thats exactly what it is. A cable router. It is not a broadband modem, but there again it doesnt say it is, does it.

Also an ethernet port is exactly that, an ethernet port. It doesnt claim to be a phone connection at all.

I suggest you research a product properly before making such ridiculous complaints against something that does exactly what it says on the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but would have liked some instructions, 16 May 2014
Happy with the product. Packaging was good and delivery was prompt. My only complaint, as a non-expert, is that some insallation instructions would have been helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent product let down by frustrating issues., 16 April 2014
I've been using this product for a few years with a Virgin cable internet link. Generally, I've been quite happy with it. It has more functionality than I'd really use and on the whole works quite well. I particularly like the security aspects and the ability to filter content.

My major gripe with it is that every week, for no apparent reason, the wireless connection just stops. Despite numerous attempts to resolve this through the Netgear forum, I've not succeeded in nailing it. The only thing that fixes is it is not restarting the router but changing the channel. Incidentally, I'm really surprised how slow the HTML UI is considering that I'm it's only client, and the wireless config screen is buggy in that my first change is normally ignored and a second attempt is usually necessary.

The constant hassle of having to change channel led me to replace the router recently with a Billion BiPAC 7800DXL. The most immediate change - apart form not having to change channel each week - is that the speed is very much faster. I'm now getting around 60Mb throughput, which is what I should be getting rather than the 20Mb that the WGR614.

Perhaps I should have spotted this and dealt with it earlier, but on the whole as I said, I was happy with it generally and for this reason I'm giving it three stars rather than two. I'm undecided though whether I consider it fully fit for purpose.

2.0 out of 5 stars short of information, 21 July 2013
would not work as it was looking for a usb adapter which I don't appear to have and a network security number which I don't know.
No information on these came with the unit.