5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Criminal
After buying a Lachesis about 6 months ago, and being rather impressed with it, I thought it would be a good idea to protect its feet and enhance the experience further with a Razer mouse mat. So after reading about this 'desktop skin' on Razer's website, it seemed too good to be true.

I ordered a Sphex as soon as it was available, so I've had this about a...
Published on 13 Sep 2009 by Rudie

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad.
This mouse mat impressed me ALOT when I first got it and also surprised me alot because of how thin it is.

The good
-Best surface I have EVER felt on a mouse mat, an absolute joy.
-Once you put it on it doesn't come off unless you want it, it wont move.
-Incredibly thin. (For me it was a problem)

The bad
-Very thin and it ripped...
Published 2 months ago by Peekatew

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Criminal, 13 Sep 2009
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)

I ordered a Sphex as soon as it was available, so I've had this about a month now and yes it is awesome. I won't try and explain what the surface feels like, because there's no point, let's just say it's the best surface you will ever put your mouse on, and moving the mouse is an absolute joy.

It is as thin as they say: 2 sheets of standard paper. The only thing that doesn't quite live up to the hype is the 'infinite' adhesive bottom. There is a lattice of adhesive on bottom of the mat, which to the touch hardly feels sticky at all, but although isn't sticky like tape, it obviously uses the same principles as tape. (it isn't some magical material).

Sure it's impressive, but on the near edge of the mat where it gets more pressure and rubbing from your hand, a tiny bit of the sticky stuff has started to come off on to the desk (nothing a bit of lighter fluid wont sort out I'm sure). But seeing as once the mat is on the desk, it's there for good, it's not really much of a problem.

That's only a minor gripe, but overall it performs and looks great. I know it's marketed as a gaming mouse mat, but it's obviously awesome for design work too or anything else for that matter - would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mouse surface I've ever used, 24 Feb 2010
Robert Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)
When I received this item my first thought was "They're joking right?".

Upon unpacking I was greeted with what appeared to be a piece of reinforced paper with mild adhesive on one side. Had a really paid £10 for this?

As soon as I started to use it though, any negative thoughts soon disappeared.

The slightly tacky side holds it firm on your desk (it doesn't leave any residue either and it can be wiped clean), and the fact that it is thin means if provides the same firm surface your desk does, albeit with a much friendly surface for laser mice.

It will be a bit of a shock if you're used to soft mouse mats, but what it does mean is that it doesn't give the tracking issues I've had with gaming grade laser mice on soft surfaces.

I used to search around for the perfect surface for my mouse, changing every few months to the latest surface which promised to be the best. Since owning the Sphex I haven;t felt the need to look for anything else, which is the highest praise I can give it.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)

The good
-Best surface I have EVER felt on a mouse mat, an absolute joy.
-Once you put it on it doesn't come off unless you want it, it wont move.
-Incredibly thin. (For me it was a problem)

The bad
-Very thin and it ripped on me when I left it on my table for about 3-4 weeks.
-The adhesive material appeared to be too sticky, so that combined with how thin it is is a VERY bad thing.

My problem
-After leaving the mat on my table for about 3-4 weeks, I decided to move it, I lifted the flap and slowly peeled it off. It ripped and left chunks of mouse mat on the table which I had to scrape off with a knife, which was sad because I thought this mat would slightly alter my opinion on razer, it did, I wont be buying from it again because I had 3 razer products before this which I loved until they died.

Razer Naga original- Never dropped it and took good care of it.- Sensor died in less than 2 months. (It was my favourite mouse)
Razer Kraken Pro- I treated them carefully and put them on the desk when I wasn't using them.- Left ear died in less than 6 months. (I loved them)

Razer Hammerhead Pro- Great little earphones with good bass and sound, I always put them back in the little case when I wasn't using them.- Died in less than 2 months. (Were some of my favourite earphones at the time)

I wont be buying razer products anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - beware if using all day, 5 Sep 2013
RGA (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)
This is a great paper thin product giving a precise experience and just the right friction to feel in control moving the mouse around.

However, the surface is very slightly rough like very fine sandpaper. If you use for long periods of time and your wrist rubs on it continuously I have found that it will exfoliate your skin. Nothing major but noticeable and worth considering.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mouse mat in the World, 26 Oct 2011
Thalax (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)
After using this mouse mat for a few weeks I feel that it is time to share my thoughts on it, obviously I will edit this if I feel there is anything I overlooked or if it somehow breaks (I don't know how to break a mouse mat but oh well). So I got this mat as both a gamer and someone who needed it for everyday use too, I will also add that I have limited desk space.

So firstly the packaging looks nice and proffessional and inside you will find the mat, a "certificate of authenticity" which really makes you feel special in some way (nice touch Razer), and some stickers of the Razer logo which honestly are actually really good quality, well for stickers anyway, and they stay stuck firmly to wherever you put them.

On to the mat. It is insanely thin, about as thick as two sheets of paper. It stuck first time and rooted itself firmly to the desk, but can also be removed very easily and stuck somewhere else if you want. The general feel of the mat is a very grippy but also smooth surface which lets the mouse glide along it's surface with minimal effort, but also gives the control needed for gaming.

In conclusion it is a very high quality mouse mat that delivers what very little can, a smooth but grippy surface that doesn't move around your desk at all, and does it all for just £10 which is a fraction of the cost of other equal quality products (If there are any out there). Although I would like to add that it will probably lose it's stickness if you move it around alot although I have heard in places that a splash of water on the bottom fixes this. 5/5 Buy it, I doubt anything better will ever come out

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a hard surface!, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)
I assumed 'hard surface' meant the mat was rigid but it's not! Needed it to perch on my armchair arm occasionally but its too floppy on its own to do that. I've mounted it on my old rigid mouse mat and and it now serves that purpose. Apart from that great mat, very fast and looks good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 9 July 2014
A. Marks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)
Love this mouse mat. I have a glass desk so most mice dont tend to work well on it.

WIth this mat, you simply stick it down to the glass and it stays put. Lovely texture to it too. Along with my Deathadder mouse this is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

2.0 out of 5 stars It tracks pretty well but there was dents in the mat, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)
Hardly what I would call a mouse mat, it's a piece of coloured paper and is extremely flimsy.

It tracks pretty well but there was dents in the mat...well paper. So it became unusable after less than one week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of equipment, 14 Nov 2010
Charles Allen (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
MY BEST PURCHASE IN A LONG TIME

The key points
------------------------------

Some Razor cleverness has produced a product which offers:

- high comfort
- very smooth mouse glide
- brilliant feedback
- no desk space conflict*

* Normally mouse mats are a bit thicker and they prevent your work from encroaching on your mat area. By being very thin, this mat can be large, giving you the freedom at any moment to either maximise the area you give your mouse, or let your work spill out. I find this very useful as I find my desk space is highly dynamic.

The back story
------------------------------

Having just grabbed a copy of Starcraft 2, and knowing that I spend a lot of time interacting with computers, I decided I should invest in a decent mouse (209646: Logitech G9x Laser Mouse (910-001153)), a second external keyboard (Microsoft Arc Keyboard - for home dock - already had 1 in the office), and a travel mouse (Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black - I'm fed up of track pads). When spending all that money it seemed sensible to investigate mouse mats as well. I was highly skeptical that it would make any difference, and they do seem very expensive, but I'm happy to say it was the best thing I bought (and the rest was all pretty good too)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 1 Sep 2014
Mr. R. H. Edwards "esotericmumble" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface (Accessory)
I was disappointed at first as I was expecting a solid mat but instead received a really thin, floppy piece of plastic. HOWEVER, this thing is awesome. I can't stress just how much difference this surface makes with either a wired optical or a wireless laser mouse. It also has some sort of adhesive backing that apparently is reusable but I haven't used it as I use this on various surfaces. I imagine though that if used, it would basically 'become' part of the desk.