4.0 out of 5 stars Good price and easy to use
OK, I've only had it for a day but I really can't find anything not to like about this unit. It does everything that it claims to and I had it working within seconds of it leaving the box. Tested it out on a 60 mile route and had no problems at all.
Good build quality and I really can't find a fault.

Pity it does not give OS map grid references (only...
Published on 4 Jan 2010 by Kenneth Rybarczyk

1.0 out of 5 stars Support? What support!
Binatone G500 5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps

Published 17 months ago by Canuteronomy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price and easy to use, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Binatone G500 5-inch Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (Electronics)
Good build quality and I really can't find a fault.

Pity it does not give OS map grid references (only longitude and latitude) as it would have been handy for walking treks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Support? What support!, 22 Nov 2012
Binatone G500 5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps

I purchased one of these sat navs over a year ago, not from Amazon I hasten to add! It worked so well for a week or two that I actually got to my intended destinations without turning down a single (spurious) cul-de-sac. And then one day it just wouldn't boot up. Not particularly worried by this as it's just a basic computer, should be easy enough to put right, I went to find the appropriate support page so that I could either find a manufacturer's patch to solve the problem or reload the software if necessary. Well, the title of my review should tell you the rest of the story. I never found the support page and to my knowledge there remains no such obvious support in place. I understand that if it needs sorting out then it has to go back to the manufacturer. Presumably Binatone think that if you're daft enough to buy one of their products then you're clearly too stupid to be trusted with sorting out a minor software issue by running a patch.

Well okay Binatone, I accept my moment of stupidity. It happened the day I bought one of your products! I promise you that it's a mistake I will never repeat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality product, 28 May 2011
Carl (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
At the earliest convenience I will be returning this product and here's why.
1, It will not except postcodes. A SAT NAV THAT DOES NOT EXCEPT POST CODES! I had to type in towns and then it gave me the first 3 digits of the code.
2, Some of the streets on my estate it did not recognise.
3, Testing it in areas I know well, the on screen map set routes that go all round the houses over speed bumps ect. when there were direct easy routes available. It did this on both quickest and shortest settings.
4, The audio directions seemed to have a mind of it's own, constantly repeating 'keep left keep right' or telling me I was close to my destination when I had only just started. If I followed the voice instructions in traffic it would cause havoc as the thing can't make up it's mind.
5, It tried to get me to use no entry roads.
I have not tested it on motorway journeys but did run it in 'sim' mode. It seems ok for long journeys only and worked well for rounderbouts but that's all.
Thinking that it may just need a software update, I visited the Binatone website but found nothing for this model.
Perhaps I've just been unlucky and got a faulty one but it's going back

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy, 3 Aug 2012
I purchased 4 of these for staff at work who are on the road all the time, 2 have completely stopped working with 1 month and are un repairable!!

Buy cheap, buy twice.....this is so true

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor product, 9 Aug 2012
Takes a long time to load up each time, slow to re-route and despite re-setting the settings it still chooses unsuitable routes.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for- just., 24 July 2012
Very basic unit, with poor illumination that is quickly swamped even by bright cloudy condidtions. The screen reflects anything nearby and has to be positioned carefully to reduce this. The mount is also very prone to vibration even on motorways in a Honda CRV and needs to "lean" against a side pillar for example to stop this. Navigation can be erratic with unnecessary dog-legs up side streets rather than keeping to a main road, happening at times. I bought two units and they have the same problems. In future I'll go for the more expensive brands. My old Navman still outclasses this one hands down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit Iffy, Not-All-That, Odd Niggles, Eh..., 14 Aug 2012
Atlas "Corey" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
received Binatone as a gift a few years ago. since this I have had a Number of issues. the first to crop up was that the plAstic holder was poor quality and came loose from The glass while i was driving. i also found the ui to be lacking and have a somewhat ominOus quality about it. it's got real screwy pathfiNding as well, on a trip to a festival it told me to drive off the road and into a lakE. it's also instructed me to drive onto incoming traffic, down a one-way street, onto a motorway in the wrong direction and once, bizarrely, to the bottom of a local quarry. and for some reason, the only postcodes it accepts are those of morgues and cemeteries.

My native-american friend Mike said he feels uneasy in the car ever since I got Binatone - I figure it's probably 'cause the heater is broken. In the last few weeks I've additionally noticed a few glitches. Every now and then the screen goes to static and you can almost see words behind it; it almost looks like it's trying to pick up a signal. The voice keeps going off and on, and it's impossible to mute. Every time I try to turn off the voice in the menu, a glitching noise sounds and increases in volume louder and louder, and it doesn't stop. This forces me to disconnect it completely, and lose my settings! Infuriatingly, this keeps resetting the date to "16/08/12".

Binatone is not a very good binatone at all. It's just too buggy. Kind of hope it sorts itself out 'cause I have to take a business trip in a couple of days.

ARRAY(0xb6a08588)