on 10 December 2009
Really nice dress, got it through the post today.
I'm going to write some info that I would have found useful when deciding whether to buy this dress.
So the dress is a really smooth, very stretchy material. I am 5' 8" or possibly just above, and it sits just blow my knee. So for someone a lot shorter it would be put several inches below the knee. The waist section is quite malleable, so you can almost reshape the dress in a way, depending on your shape.
I am very curvaceous, so I am quite busty and very hippy, but with a relatively slight waist. The dress slims me down in a lot of areas, and certainly hides any hint of a stomach or anything similar. It also hides any potential backfat overhang (haha horrific I know, but we all know what it is like trying to get a formal dress and if its too rigid it can be hell!
It's a really comfortable dress.. and the colour of red is exactly the same as in the photograph, so it is quite rich, and not too light, which I was worried would drain my colour. I have mid/dark blonde long hair and it goes well with my colourings.
Id be tempted to buy this dress in the cobalt blue too, but will restrict my spending for now!!!
I would v. much recommend this one!!
66 comments|210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2010
I bought this dress last week from blue banana web site.It's the first time I 've bought clothes over the internet and I must say I'm really happy about it.
At first I chose the wrong size but I sent it back and got the right one in no time! The customers service was absolutely brilliant. The dress was beautifully wraped and the fabric had the good quality I expected. The dress is really impressing and I'm thinking of bying it also in another colour.
I definitely recommend it!!
on 10 May 2010
I recently purchased this dress from Blue Banana, but I had to return it. Two reasons:

1. I bought the dress primarily because of the color which on the website looked like a very rich bright red. When I received it, I realized that the red wasn't as bright and fresh as it looked on the screen, but more like dark red wine. It wasn't bad, it was just different from what I wanted.
2. The other reason is that the material sticks to your body a lot and I wasn't comfortable with the way that looked on me.

Overall, the model of the dress is fabulous and it really does cover certain problem areas. The top part looked amazing after I put it on, however the material "stuck" to my lower body in a very unflattering way. This may be avoided with an underdskirt, but I didn't want to go to all the trouble.

As for the seller, I have to say I was very impressed both with the great packaging and the super fast shipping (and refund of my money). I would definitely buy from this seller again as it is rare to receive such fast and customer friendly service.
on 10 January 2010
This is the rare type of dress that you feel sexy in no matter what! I've worn it out several times now for all different occasions and it's a dress that works for you. So many compliments when wearing this dress I don't know what to do with them! This is the second item I have bought from Blue Banana and the first dress, and it makes me feel so good when I wear it, I've worn it at home for no good reason other then to prance about and feel great about myself. This dress takes good and great parts of your body and shouts about them, while discretly covering the not so fabulous areas. The way the dress hangs and moves makes you look fantastic, and whether you walk normally or not (or drunk!), this dress swishes about you, making you look like you sashay places for a living!
on 1 March 2010
This is a definate buy for anyone looking for a dress for special occasions. It came wrapped up in a lovely little box with a free lollipop. Ideal as a present for someone special.

I was worried about this dress as I have very large boobs (36HH)and a bigger stomach than I would like. However, this dress was very flattering and fits perfectly & as a previous reviewer said it hides most of the bulges you want hidden.

It is a stretchy material so on first inspection I thought it would cling to my bulges but it did the opposite. Due to my boobs, the underarm of the dress is quite low so I would advise buying a bra the same colour to hide this section or use a shrug. Those with less up front will probably not have this problem.

Overall I am very impressed with this purchase and will buy from Blue Banana again.
on 5 April 2010
I'm not a major fan of wearing dresses and I've never bought a dress online before. However I needed a dress for my prom and decided to take a risk on this one. It's a lovely rich red colour and is made from a beautiful material that feels silky smooth and really comfortable. The sizing is perfect for me, something I often can't find, and it is also not quite so "low-cut" as the picture makes it out to be. It's a brilliant investment and I'm currently debating buying another colour.
on 13 April 2010
This dress fitted very nicely on the body just as everyone described, however I felt it was an odd length for me, it was too short to be long (calf length) and to long to be short. I am only 5' 2" but this dress ended on my knee and looked like it could do with another couple of inches in length to be elegant, I felt like a school kid in it.
material was good, colour was good just the length was wrong for me.
on 18 May 2010
I am glad to say that I am another satisfied customer. As my fellow shoppers mentioned this dress is a fantastic value for money. I am quite top heavy size 10/12. I got it in 12 and it really fits perfectly in the right places and hides some of the less flattering areas. The drapery front is ideal for concealing any lines from slimming big mamma pants. Not that any of you ladies need them. :-) I am 5.6, which is probably the ideal height for this dress. The dress hem just finishes under my knees, so it looks quite classy but still shows enough of my legs. The packaging is also superb and if you bought this dress as a gift, you don't need to worry about repackaging it. The only thing that you should watch out is that this dress (in the deep read) is just too pretty to be spoiled by black shoes, however delicate they might be. I realised that ideal accessory colour would either be champagne or nude. Of course I had no shoes or bags in that colour. So, cut the long story short, I end up spending another £120 on accessories. But that's hardly the dress's fault.
on 13 May 2010
I purchased this dress for a 'posh' do and it fits the bill perfectly. It arrived in super quick time, beautifully presented and with clear instructions for return or exchange. The dress is soooo smoth and floaty that I feel like a million dollars in it!!! I'm 5ft 8'' and it sits on my knee. I ordered the wrong size but had the replacement in 24hrs!!! Fab.... and very impressed with Blue Banana
on 7 September 2010
Read the other reviews and thought, hmmm - I'm a good size 16 but it sounded almost too good to be true. So I took the plunge and bought one in a size 16 and what an amazing dress. Hard to believe that size 16 and slinky dress go together WITHOUT the need for body shaping underwear. Ruched section over the waist hides all manner of sins and the dress is so flattering irrespective of size.

Another big plus - the seller. Dress received very promptly, beautifully wrapped in a box with tissue paper and a lolly pop. OK, so you might not like the lolly; but top marks for a lovely thought.

Very sexy dress, but still not too revealing, plenty of material to hide bra straps and so on, probably best worn with underwired plunge/push up type bra. Highly recommended.