5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting Relaxation, 24 Aug. 2009
Mr. R. G. Butler "RG Butler" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
This album is uplifting and relaxing, it may sound like these two feeling should not go together, but listen to this album and you will see what I mean. 'Black Swan' builds on the best aspect of all three previous albums. It has the rare quality of being instantly likeable, I normally find I need to cycle an album a few times before it grows on me.

Superhuman Touch & The Getaway both have the uplifting beat which won Athlete many fans with their first album Vehicles & Animals. Whilst fans of Tourist will prefer Light The Way & Awkward Goodbye.

Black Swan Song has more of a Beyond the Neighbourhood feel, that melodic, relaxing yet uplifting tune which is typical of Athlete. Rubik's Cube is a great tune which could easily have drifted on for longer than 4m.

In summary, Athlete fans will be very happy with this return to their best, whilst the non-commercial and understated nature of the album should keep athlete from becoming snapped-up by the kiddies. My only criticism would be that the album could last a bit longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 26 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
When I first listened to Athlete's previous album 'Beyond the Neighbourhood', I was fooled into thinking that every song sounded pretty much like the last.....but how wrong was I? 'Beyond' has become one of my favourite albums of all time and seems to get better with each listen, even after two years!

It was with caution then that I approached 'Black Swan', and when it failed to grab me on first play I decided to listen again, and again and then I simply fell in love with it. I must have listened to it 15 times in the last two days and each song leaves me with a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, a shiver up my spine, a light heart or some combination of the aformentioned. To say this is a masterpiece would do it an injustice as that would imply a finely polished and over-worked album. This is raw, childlike, yet with a maturity, honesty and passion rarely seen in music these days.

There are stand out tracks on this album, and I have my favourites, but I expect that every listener will find their own as they identify with the songs for themselves. Buy this and don't make my mistake by judging it on one or two plays. This album will be with you for a lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Athlete's best so far...., 6 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Athlete for some reason remain one of them quiet often overlooked bands, always in the shadow of their big brothers Coldplay and Snow Patrol. I think this is unfairly so, as Athlete have tracks that can match if not beat both bands recent output.

I've enjoyed every album they've put out, from the cheesy electronic pop of their first album, to the more mature sound they have developed from their second album onwards. Black Swan continues where Beyond the Neighbourhood, their third album left off. This collection of songs though is much more consistent then their previous offering.

It's difficult to pick specific stand out tracks because the whole album is thoroughly enjoyable the whole way through. The tracks that connected with me on a more personal level were the swooning The Getaway, electronic mid tempo rocker Don't Hold Your Breath and stripped down acoustic tracks Love Come Rescue and Rubik's Cube. I agree with one other reviewer that says the album has a raw, laid back vibe with intimate almost fragile vocals provided by singer Joel Pott.

Athlete have raised their game with Black Swan, a slow burning but at the same time fiery third album from a band destined for bigger things.

* P.S I love the artwork of Black Swan but why is the case larger than a conventional plastic case? I can't fit the damn thing in my CD rack!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Beautiful Album of 2009!!, 4 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
This is the most beautiful album of 2009! and of the last few years definitley! Every song is amazing! beautiful and uplifting lyrics! i have it on repeate every day! i cant stop listening to it! i love it more and more every day! i cant praise it enough! if you want to know what im talkin about buy the album and find out for yourselfs! you wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Athlete are back!!!, 25 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Wow!! I think this album was well worth the wait. So many strong songs on here it's hard to pick out which are my favourites. At this point in time I would have to go with Rubik's Cube, Black Swan Song and Superhuman Touch but Magical Mistakes is also brilliant.

I think Athlete are one of the most underrated bands of the past few years. Each album seems to get stronger and stronger.

They may not be flavour of the month but this album is well worth investing in and will stay on your CD player / iPod for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar-pop perfection!, 4 Sept. 2009
M. Squibbs (Market Harborough, Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Only a quick to the point review from me. Buy this album. It's great. Maybe not as quirky and punchy as the genius Vehicles and Animals, but thankfully not as melancholy and "Coldplay"-like as Tourist, and far more immediate than Beyond The Neighbourhood.

Like all good albums, the third listen is a charm. I personally guarantee you'll like this. And if you read the unfoundedly negative review in the Big Issue, like me, the week of release, take no notice! This is brilliance.

If you like Athlete's music, make sure you check out In-Flight Safety. 2 albums and an EP and every bit as good. Don't let them, or this album pass you by!

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Swan - Athlete, 24 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Been waiting a long time for this album and it hasn't disappointed...can't stop listening to it. Particularly love Rubiks Cube, Black Swan Song and The Getaway. Nice artwork too. Thank God they are back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a grower..., 22 Sept. 2009
Mr. P. T. Trainor "petemachine" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
I actually dismissed it the first time I listened to it. Didn't think it was up to their previous standards... then I went back to it a couple of days later and gave it another go... wow... I haven't stopped listening to it since. Its immaculate. An instant classic. Some of their best work for sure. Its definitely going to rate in my top 5 albums of 2009 list.

4.0 out of 5 stars An album that will grow on you, 26 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Look, I like Athlete and feel they do deserve more praise for the music they've delivered so far and should be up there with Snow Patrol. But just because I like them doesn't mean I'll automatically say "Black Swan" is great. On my first listen to the album it was good but not great (so 4 stars). But as with other Athlete tracks I think the album will be a 'grower' ("Vehicles & Animals" was definitely this way for me). Having seen the band a couple of months ago and hence already heard Superhuman Touch, Black Swan Song & The Getaway, these were the tracks that to me were already heading towards 'great'. Now on my third listen the rest of the tracks on the main album are begining to head upwards from good (so perhaps the album will end up as a 5 star album). I'm not so struck with the tracks on the bonus album but who knows where they might get to with time. My advice would be to give the main album some time and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing album, 19 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Another fantastic album from Athlete - very catchy songs, as good as the last album and well worth adding to your CD collection - just GREAT!

Black Swan (Deluxe Edition)
Black Swan (Deluxe Edition) by Athlete (Audio CD - 2009)