5.0 out of 5 stars A really great film for children and adults alike.
Published on 26 Feb. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a dated film!
I remembered this fondly from my childhood, it was not as good as the new version with Mr Depp starring. My 5 year old liked it but she repeatedly asks to watch the new version. The new one is more accurate to the book and sadly it did not get the credit it deserved.
Published 7 months ago by Big kid

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great film for children and adults alike., 26 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This was one of my favourite films as a child and now, many years later, is a favourite of my own small children. The colour, imagery, songs and wicked humour stay in the mind long after watching. The moral content (if you are very rude/greedy/selfish etc.., you get your comeuppence in the end) is as relevant today as it's ever been. Even though the ending differs slightly from Roald Dahl's book - Charlie is not as faultless in the film, but redeems himself with his honesty - the story is as enjoyable and heartwarming as they get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colgate must be livid?, 31 Jan. 2013
I think I may have already referred to this film in some of the discussions that appear on Amazon of some other book.

However - the plot 'thickens'. I think I noted that some rumour went about that the Chocolate Factory in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was based on the Chocolate industry in York - and I think I had found out that this film was filmed at a GasWorks in Germany.

I found out several years ago that Joseph Rowntree had chosen to use sugar cane for his factory rather than the local sugar beet factory down the road. What I hadn't fully realized at the time is that the whole of the slave trade in America - the slaves lured to the South from Africa - were lured there on promise of working for the sugar industry in America. Joseph Rowntree was a Quaker - I have a book now about Terry's which openly confirms that Joseph Terry used sugar cane as well - I don't know whether they shared Quaker interests - but if they did - William Wilberforce who apparently urged the banning of slavery seemingly on behalf of the Quakers - belonged to the organization that had encouraged it in the first place.

Were the Oompa Lumpas meant to reflect all this??

Moreover, in this book I have about Terry's Chocolate Factory it says Terry's were also involved in Colagate Palmolive. When it comes to the 'industrial espionage' story in this film - I am forced to reflect how angry Colgate and Aquafresh must be now Oral B seems to have come along. Do they just accept it, and lay up the ghost - or do they 'forge' through claims of 'improvement' and 'further improvement' etc that may not really be improvements at all, but even detrimental if they want to keep the dentist industry going as well?

I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm being disloyal to my country or the Quakers by mentioning and acknowledging this - my theory is that some people must have already realized this anyway - has President Obama, for instance? In which case, to deal with it by acknowledging it would be the most sensible way forward...

UPDATE: 01/02/13

I realize now that William Wilberforce was in operation long before Rowntrees and Terry's - but apparently slavery was only abolished by his influence in the British Empire as it continued in America quite a long time after he died. I suppose Rowntrees and Terry's could have just wanted to employ people in the Colonies. However, what confuses me is that I found out some time ago that there were still (a couple of years ago) child labourer's in Chinese clothes Mills making our clothes - and child labourers in Malawi growing tobacco that might eventually end up for sale here .....also, a lawyer friend of mine once told me that if you want to break the law you simply go abroad to a country that allows the kind of activity you fancy taking part in....I suppose if you are rich enough, that may be an option????

5.0 out of 5 stars Original & Best, 16 Nov. 2012
This is one of my favourite musicals, from the opening song "The Candy Man." how ever, it really takes off when the Golden Ticket competition is announced. Highlights are Tim Brooke Taylor telling a computer exactly what it could do with a life time supply of chocolates, a psychiatrist asking his patient where he dreamed the ticket was, her Majesty bidding at an auction and the woman; when told that the kidnappers will kill her husband if they don't get her box of Wonka Bars says "How long will they give me to think it over" Obviously none of the other winners are as deserving as little Charlie Bucket. One of the most; slighting disturbing quote of the film is when Mike Teevee is asked if he likes the killing, and he answers "What do you think life is all about?" The two scenes featuring the teacher are hilarious, especially when after Charlie tells him how many chocolate bars he opened he says "Well, I can't figure out just two!" Then we get to the Chocolate Factory where the fun really begins. One scene I don't appreciate, is the one in which when Charlie and Grandpa Joe are heading towards the fan, they keep burping to get down, which is slightly unpleasant. Gene Wilder delivers two of the best, thought provoking lines in the entire film "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams," and then as Charlie proves he is worthy of the grand prize, he (Wonka) says "So shines a good deed in a weary world" One thing that is peculiar, is that in the opening scene, where the candy man gives a bunch of kids free rein of his shop, when Charlie buys a chocolate bar, the candy man clears his throat and holds out his hands for Charlie to give him the cash. Gene Wilder was fantastic as the titular character, especially in the scene where Verucca Salt throws a tantrum - how he managed to keep a stony face was fantastic. I know a lot of people prefer the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with Mr Depp, but for me he never came close to Mr Wilder. Fantastic Fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Willy Wonka, 8 Nov. 2011
Bought this for my six years old granddaughter as they had been to a local chocolate factory on a school project, it delighted her as much as it did her mum 30 years ago. This is a film that will never grow old.

4.0 out of 5 stars Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, 9 Aug. 2005
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of the all time classic children's' films ever made and even after some 30 years since its original release, this version remains as fresh, as bright, as delightful and as exciting as ever.
It's the classic tale of the poor little boy who makes good when deprived Charlie Bucket finds one of only 5 golden tickets hidden inside bars of famous Wonka chocolate. The tickets give the winner entry for the day into the fabulous and top secret Wonka chocolate factory and to meet the even more famous inventor Willy Wonka. Charlie joins the other 4 finders of the golden tickets, a motley crew of horrible children of varying bad habits, for his wonderful day out in WonkaLand.
What I really like about the film is the trip around the factory is just a real visual delight around every corner with its madcap inventions, chocolate river, crazy machinery and absurd take on everyday life.
The other thing I really think the film does well is that it has an almost sinister side to it. Willy Wonka himself is not the friendly old uncle he seems at times, at moments he turns on the children and positively scares them to death. The Oompa Lumpas are also not the cuddly cute little men they first seem and I'm sure they have induced many a childhood nightmare. I think this element is good as it stops the film becomes to sickly sweet and keeps the action on edge.
I think the final word can be that I remember this film delighting me as a child and when my own children watched it recently they too were totally taken into the story and watched entraced for the duration.

5.0 out of 5 stars i've got a golden ticket!, 28 Dec. 2003
Both the book and the movie are fantastic but there are differences naturally, even so, i think that the film stays close to the book fairly well making this movie simply fantastic.
No matter how many times it appears on T.V i'll always watch it. The songs are great (both from normal people and ompalumpas!), the scenery from Munich is beautiful and the actual chocolate factory brings to life the fantastic places and adventures that the book contains.
The actual character of Willie Wonka, is a great one anyway but to get Gene Wilder to play the part was a stroke of genius. Some argue that Wilder overdoes it and is a bit too crazy but Wilder has simply brought his own personal style to the role.
The children are as horrible as Dahl intended, ranging from Mike Teevee, the tele addict to spoilt brat Veruka Salt. To balance this we have the great Charlie who is still wholesome even in the face of extreme poverty.
All the family will love this DVD, the very fact that it is still a hit today, shows that it is a true classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've got a golden ticket, 6 Nov. 2011
Excellent value and a true classic movie that you can watch again and again! Uplifting and fun. Much cheaper than my search on ebay.

4.0 out of 5 stars BLURAY REVIEW (2015), 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory [Blu-ray] [1971] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Great film - but let's review the actual bluray, and not how well Amazon delivered it, or its 'as described'. As those type of reviews are plain bollocks.

Bluray quality:-

3 / 5

This film has always looked garishly cheap, something which a bluray at 1080p just accentuates.

Saying that, it's never looked so bad, which in turn is good! See. I'm down with the kids.

Colours are vibrant, garish and OTT - but that's Wonka!

Bluray sound:-

It's a lovely 5.1 mix, which adds depth to the fun scenes of the movie, some of the singing unfortunately showcases some bad audio obviously from the original that couldn't be fixed with today's tech. It's the low ranges that are effected. But if you're buying this film to simply watch it and be entertained. That doesn't matter to you.

Overall :-

4/5

It'll not look any better unless they retouch every single cell and rescan at 4k.

The price I paid, £6 was worth the risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars willy wonka and the chocolate factory, 1 Oct. 2013
this film is funny and entertaining

I watched this film since i was 10 year old and now iam 22 years old i still like watching this film.

i dont know what some people are talking about this film is fine and this film is for all ages and for family times.

i like everything about this film and the girl that wanted everything she wanted gets on my nerves she never shuts up its always " daddy i want this i want that".

and the actors and actresses in this film are terrific and every word they say is loud and clear and they never forgot their acting words in the script.

everyone knows that when charlie bucket and grandpa joe drink fizzy lifting drinks and that they have got invisible wires hook around their their hips to look like they were really flying.

and everyone who hasen't watched this like families,friends and children should really watch this film and every years to come in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest kids film ever made, 29 April 2011
C. Davies "Wordrabbit" (Blackpool UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my girl friends birthday. What can I say? Ever since I was a child I've loved this movie, everything about it. It was a dream like quality that make's it warm and utterly watchable. Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka as far as I'm concerned. It touches the heart and soul of the book, changing it enough for filming purposes while holding onto the credible imagination of Mr Dahl.

This blue ray edition is perfect. The picture quality is very good and the colours are strong and bold. Blue Ray is effortless to watch. I know that may sound odd but, I have found every Blue Ray replacement for my previous DVD versions to just be better to watch. Even when the picture hasn't blown me away, by the end of the film I feel I have enjoyed the film more.

This is a must have addition to anybody who claims to be a fan of classic films. This typifies what makes a classic. Watch it over and over again and remember what it was like to be child.

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory [Blu-ray] [1971] [Region Free]