5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, buy this!
I have been following FFD for a few years now and been waiting for this to be released eagerly.

Boy was it worth the wait. Asked to describe it to friends I have had to say jazzy, souly and dubby, and each genre flows seamlessly and tightly.

Published on 18 Jun 2009 by Je Whitehead

3.0 out of 5 stars Dropped
I am a great fan of FFD and Based on a True Story. Bought them, seen them, relaxed with them at home at played them to great rooms at parties. This album though is pretty lame compared to True Story. It has good bits, like The Camel and Shiverman, but has oh-so-boring R&B noodles like The Raft and Big BW. Why did you make them, Freddys? I almost regret buying it. Their...
Published on 16 Oct 2009 by S. Denness

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, buy this!, 18 Jun 2009

If you like Based On A True Story you'll love this straight out of the box and it gets better with each play.

If you don't know FFD, then give them a go and if you get a chance, see them live. They have recreated the live feel on a studio album real well.

This is a fabulous album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 4 May 2013
I already had this on CD but thought it was worth trying on vinyl. It sounds great with the full richness that can be achieved with vinyl. I think it came with a cd too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb album of upbeat tracks!, 5 Jun 2010
A. Downey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat freddy's Drop: Dr. Boondigga & The Big BW (Audio CD)
How can somebody give this 1 star?

Fat Freddy's Drop are simply awesome and this album is no exception.

Some of my favourites are Shiverman, Pull the Catch, The Raft & The Nod.

You must be tone deaf not to like some of these!

Can't wait to see them live again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diggin' deeper and deeper for the Boon...!, 1 Sep 2009
Lots of bands come out with fresh and creative debut albums; the fans and critics love them until their eagerly awaited second album comes out and just thoroughly disappoints. Luckily for us FFD fans, this is well and truly not the case here! 'Dr. Boondigga & the Big BW' seems, to me, to represent a whole new depth for the band.

Listening back to 'Based on a true story' after replaying and replaying 'Dr. B...' it is so apparent that they have been working really hard on these compositions. They've really honed in on that fusion of eclectic elements/genres that make up their original sound. Apart from anything else, FFD have really stepped up their production quality, too. Worldwide, they are renowned for their weighty 'dub' sound, with throbbing bass lines and reggae off-beat bass drum grooves. But there is something else about the 'depth' that seems to emanate from this album. FFD seem to have fallen into a deep, rhythmical stupor on many of these tracks- almost as if, when they were jamming the material for this album, their producer had to say to them, finally: "Guys, it's a wonderful groove, but you'll have to cut it down from 18 minutes to at least 8!".

I suppose, if there was one criticism I would make about this album it would be that some of the tracks seem to be extended longer than necessary. Track 6, "the Camel", for example, which features the warm harmonies of the guest vocalist, Alice Russell, seems to have an unnecessary 4 mins tagged onto the end. I actually bought this album on the strength of watching a YouTube video of this track but was really surprised when listening to the album that the song continues on for an extra 4 minutes after the YouTube-'radio edit'- finishes. I can't really work out why they've released this track at the length it is...it works really well as a 5 minute track. Why the extra 4 minutes? I suppose this would allude to what some of the other reviewers have said about this album being "aimless" at times...

On the other hand, however, track 2 ("Shiverman") - which weighs in at a whopping 10 minutes 36 seconds (!)- seems to take us on a real voyage. We get sucked into the pulsating rhythms and just as the bass and various synth effects, cow bell etc starts to make us feel really heady, in comes a signature FFD horn line, completely elevating the track! I'm sure that the DJs buying this album will be rubbing their hands together with the various 'clubby' beats for their decks, too! Elsewhere on the album we get a different kind feeling from the more orthodox 'song' based tracks, such as 'Boondigga' (track 3) itself and 'Pull the Catch' (track 5) and this is where "Dr. Boondigga" as really distinguishes itself as a second album. This is where we get much more of a mature sound in comparison to 'Based on a true story' and it is what makes us thirsty for more...

Let's just hope that FFD 'don't leave it too late' before the next album...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, nice on vinyl, 30 May 2014
This is a great album, with some catchy songs and punching bass. It is nice to have on vinyl. It comes as 2LPs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shake that Shiverman loose.. oose.. ose.. se...e, 12 April 2014
N. Cherian "The Dude" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This album, WOW!! Definitely more upbeat than the first album and took me two listens to fully get into it, but once I did there was no going back. The techno and R&B influence on this take over on tracks like "Shiverman" and "Big BW". There are also some mellow moments in "Boondigga" and the finale "Breakthrough", one of my favourite FFD tracks so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars FFD, 17 Mar 2013
Great album from FFD with The Raft being my favourite. MP3 download was quick without any issues at all. Wish I had the CD though just in case the PC fails.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great back ground party music, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: Fat freddy's Drop: Dr. Boondigga & The Big BW (Audio CD)
We first heard this CD at a bar in Portugal. We were having a great time and this music made it even better. The best music is always that one track you like at the time. I'm in my 50's and my son is in his 20's - a good listen for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better and better the more you listen!, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Fat freddy's Drop: Dr. Boondigga & The Big BW (Audio CD)
Although the album starts in a less than upbeat way, it builds up to a tour de force that gets you in the groove in a very natural way. I enjoy this album more and more as I listen to it. The messages the songs bring are clear and pure and I love the musical depth and the warmth that exudes from the tracks. If you are new to FFD, then start off with Based on a True Story and you will be won over!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Superb, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: Fat freddy's Drop: Dr. Boondigga & The Big BW (Audio CD)
Another fantastic album from Fat Freddy's. At least as good as the last album. This has a number of stand out tracks and is a consistent pleasure. Several leagues above the mainstream effluent that passes for music. Funky, fun, authentic and upbeat. Congratulations to the FFD team on a superb effort.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fat freddy's Drop: Dr. Boondigga & The Big BW
Fat freddy's Drop: Dr. Boondigga & The Big BW by Fat Freddy's Drop (Audio CD - 2009)