on 27 July 2011
I wanted to convert my vinyl records into MP3's on my laptop as they are sitting in my loft. At first I looked at USB Turntables, such as the ION and Numark branded versions, but then came across this little device from Behringer. I have an old conventional turntable (a Dual CS 503-1) with phono leads out of it but understood I would need to have some form of pre-amp to turn the sound level to acceptable levels (I think it is called "line level"). My old turntable would give better results than the cheap looking USB turntables and this device would allow me to connect the turntable directly to the laptop (rather than going through a pre-amp, then the main amp, then having to connnect to the laptop with another lead from the amp). Using the Behringer UFO202 I also spent less than £28 (from Blue Aran), rather than £50 to £100+ for a USB turntable of questionable quality.
I downloaded the latest version of Audacity software from the internet (rather than use the included software discs) as I was led to believe this is a good bit of software for recording purposes. It is also free and very widely used. I connected up the turntable to the Behringer UFO202 and then to my Sony Vaio laptop, which is using Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit version) operating system. I looked at the instructions for Audacity software which are good but not as straight forward as you might think for USB connections, but I did get there in the end. It looked as though it all might work, but then I found that I had to adjust the recording level right down to reduce the distortion (I reduced it to 1 on a ten point scale - it typically should be around 7, I believe). I knew that this could not be right. I searched the web for clues and eventually found that Behringer have a USB Driver download on their site that sorts out this problem (look under XENYX/U-Control Downloads and select the download for your operating system - mine was the "32-bit USB ASIO driver"). So the problem is sorted. Who is to blame for having to download a USB driver is difficult to say - Is it Behringer? Is it Audacity or is it Microsoft Windows? It is one of those issues that can come up when you use a combination of IT products. But it does mean that for me it was not quite "plug and play". However, the final results are good and Barbara Jones singing "Why did you leave" sounds great in MP3 format. Hopefully, this tip will help someone else if they come across this problem. Now to download those Northern Soul singles that have still not been released on CD yet.
11 comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2011
Like other reviewers I have been digitising my vinyl record collection, but I got a distortion on the playback sound I knew was not the records. Having eliminated the turntable and software as culprits, I came to the conclusion that the sound card in my computer just wasn't very good. As I could not replace the internal sound card, my computer is too small, I looked for external options. Enter the Behringer UFO 202, from the product description and user comments it seemed the answer to my prayers.
So I coughed up the money and crossed my fingers. And I am so glad I did. The Behringer has done everything I hoped for and more. There is no distortion, no hiss, the sound is beautifully clear. The sound my much loved records deserve. I am using Golden Records vinyl conversion software, which I already had, and I have had no problems with installation or operation.
As if that wasn't enough the quality of the sound on the other music on my computer, my exCDs and downloads, is hugely improved. I only have a cheap audio system but the increase in depth, clarity, sharpness and immediacy is just fantastic. The 202 will now be a permanent attachment to my computer. I have not even looked at the music creation and editing software that came with it as my focus has been on recording my albums, but I am sure it will provide many hours of enjoyment in the long winter evenings.
A word on Audacity. At first glance it does seem completely baffling (at least it did to me) but once you get the hang of it it is a very good program. There is a quick video guide to the basics on Behringer's website, and there is a small library's worth of tutorials on YouTube.
Praises also for Juno Records, the supplier, I ordered the 202 online over a weekend and it arrived the following Tuesday morning. Top class service.
on 9 March 2012
Isn't it nice when something just works? I bought this product to transcribe my old vinyl LPs. It has a pre-amplifier for moving-magnet type phono cartridges, so I was able to plug my record deck straight in. The USB driver installed without trouble and the device was immediately recognised as a Windows audio source. It was very easy to use Audacity to record one side at a time and then edit it up into MP3 files. Or, of course you can keep the uncompressed files and enjoy perfect reproduction, if you have enough spare disk space. Audacity even has features that will allow you to remove the effects of scratches on the LP.
Very well designed product with excellent sound quality.
on 12 June 2012
I have previously used a USB turntable and it's convenient and good as far as it goes, but really if you're copying your treasured vinyl you want to make them as good as they can be. So I decided to utilise my 'proper' hi-fi and turntable and thence to record at greater than MP3 bit rates. But there is a problem, if like me you run a laptop, you're unlikely to have the necessary inputs to a sound card. This is where the Behringer box comes in. It take the output from your hi-fi and feeds it into your laptop via the USB. That's basically it.

Of course you need software, and Behringer has made the right decision to steer you to Audacity software. A great and free tool for any musician and music lover. Whilst not for simpletons it is certainly easy enough to use and well worth the temporary frustrations of your 'learning curve'. It's a powerful tool that will give endless possibilities for making your vinyl rips as fine as you'd want them.

Windows tip: Your Windows computer may initially think that this USB device is now used for speaker output, so go to control panel-audio and ensure that your built-in speakers are set again as the default.

Thank you Mr Behringer, a fine piece of kit.
on 14 February 2012
This is a cheap cost effective device, that is easy to set up and has good sound quality. It also has good effects and editing capabilities. It is suitable for transferring audio vinyl or tape recordings onto your computer.
I have a Mac. The problem is that this device comes with Audacity software, which by itslef will not convert records, tapes etc to MP3 file format. In order to do that, one has to follow these instructions. It takes about five minutes, but once installed, the Audacity will convert to MP3. The fiddly process of installing the MP3 creation capability, is why I have given this four stars and not five.

Create a folder in Applications called Audacity. Copy Audacity.app, the Nyquist folder, the Plugin folder, and maybe even the Languages folder. You can delete the rest of the languages if you want. Then download the Lame plugin from the link I provided. Make sure it's the one that says:
Quote:
For Audacity 1.3.3 on Mac OS X (Intel or PPC),
or Audacity 1.2.6 on Mac OS X (Intel):
libmp3lame-osx-universal-3.97.zip
Open up the zip file if it doesn't automatically open. Click on Package, USR, Local, Lib, and drag the libmp3lame.dylib file as-is into the Plugins folder in that Audacity folder in Applications. Open the Audacity.app, got to Audacity, Preferences, File Formats, and go down to where it says MP3 Export Setup. Click on Find Library, then Browse to that Plugin folder and click on the libmp3lame.dylib file. Click Ok, then Ok, then you're all set.
on 5 February 2012
The Behringer UFO202 U-phono USB Audio Interface I received is as described, worked first time win7x64 (note: haven't tried input yet, only output so cannot comment on recordings in this review). As a direct replacement for a laptop sound card this product surpassed my expectations for the price. Phono out is much better than 3.5mm and there is no crackle and noise that used to be present on the internal laptop sound interface. Stereo separation seems better too when used with a decent power amp and speakers. Cannot recommend enough, well worth the upgrade and to be honest I have used an Audigy in the past and cost/performance is much better for this product in my opinion.

I can now also confirm this product works well with Windows 8. UPDATE: and Windows 8.1 x64 no issues to report still works a treat.
on 19 March 2012
I bought this to digitise some of my old cassettes, in order that I could enjoy them 'in car' once more. After downloading the USB driver from Behringers site (see other reviews, thanks BB Albert Freddie King) all is progressing well, It takes a little time, but the end results are surprisingly good for such a little outlay.
I might even process some of my vinyls too, after all in the car the loss of detail of an MP3 won't be noticeable.
If you are thinking about getting a UFO202, (as I did for over a month, indicisive old fool me) go for it and enjoy.
on 10 June 2013
Easy to use analogue to USB interface. I used it to record vinyl records to wav files, connected at line level to the tape output of my hifi amp ( the phono stage in my amp is better than the phono inputs on the UFO202). Unusually for one of these, it works the opposite direction as well, allowing the playing of music stored on computer via my hifi amp, and I have just left it permanently connected as though it was a tape machine. The only slight pain is recording with Audacity software, which is awkward to use, but it works OK, and I will keep searching for a more user-friendly program.
on 10 August 2013
Was looking for a device that I could use to convert my records and old tapes (which can no longer be obtained) into a digital format I can use while travelling. I say two products that interested me - a product from Project and the Behringer product.

I thought I would try the Behringer product to see if it would fit my needs - firstly it's cheaper and secondly I dont really need another phono preamp, and thirdly the Behringer does not need an additional power supply as it takes this from the USB port.

Got the package and first thing I found is that even though the manual mentions 'supplied software', there is none provided in the package. Not a big issue really as you can download the latest version of the Audacity software directly from their website for free.

The product quality is reasonable. It is mainly made of plastic - but it's not too bad. The phono connectors all seem to be gold plated, so I guess there is some acknowledgement to the hi-fi world.

I connected the device to my laptop, and the after the device drive automatically loaded, Audacity was able to see it.

To test it out, I connected connected my ipod to the line input and recorded some music - I saved the music in MP3 format (320 bits) and did a compare of the original vs the recorded. conclusions:

* You really have to watch the recording volume - it will be interesting to see what level I need to set when I attach this device to the output of my phono stage - since I cant adjust the level on that device, it will all depend on the gain setting within Audacity.

* There is small level of noise generated within the Behringer - I suspect that this is combination of the power for the device coming via the USB port - this may be where the device from Project will be better. In addition I believe you can adjust the gain on the analogue side with this device. But I will decide if the Behringer is 'good enough' when I actually try recording a record.
on 26 February 2015
I wanted to convert some of my old vinyl to MP3 and a USB turntable was not an option because of their poor sound quality. For significantly less than the price of one, and after reading reviews, I decided upon the Behringer UFO202. I am non tech and feared that the Audacity software (not included but easy to down load) would be a mine field. This was the case and I will not go into detail. The instructions are not the best, but its forum is very helpful as are You Tube video tutorials. After much trial an error, I mastered the software and made the necessary adjustment to my version of Windows to record in sterio.

The problems I encountered with Audacity are not relevant to the UF0202 and therefore do not effect my product rating. Plugged directly into the lead from my Rega Planar 3, not via my amp, the results are superb. My MP3 recordings retain the warmth associated with vinyl. Although different to ripped CDs, the sound is in no way inferior. I retain uncompressed versions, but they do take up a lot of space on storage devices. The instructions state that the UF0202 is only compatible with moving magnet cartridges. This is not the case as my high output Denon moving coil cartridge provides sufficient output.