4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout
At first I didnt know if I was going to go for the iron gym or the P90X but decided on this for its simplicity and cost and I am not disappointed.

I recieved my iron gym about 2 hours ago and decided to put it straight to the test as part of my back work out.

Building 5/5
Putting it together was very straight forward and probably took the best...
Published on 26 Aug 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars CHECK YOUR DOOR FRAME BEFORE ORDERING!!!!
I bought this as it has some good reviews for the price! It arrived fine with no problems, and was very easy to assemble - just 4 screws and you even get a rather weak mini-spanner to tighten the nuts with. However, having assembled the unit, I was horrified to find it didn't fit any of the doors in my flat :(

The long black plastic bar that "sits" on the...
Published on 18 Aug 2011 by Mr.T

3.0 out of 5 stars CHECK YOUR DOOR FRAME BEFORE ORDERING!!!!, 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)

The long black plastic bar that "sits" on the horizontal door frame top was just too thick to sit safely on my door frame, and there's no way I could have even inserted the metal safety clip to keep it in place, as the thickness of my door frame edgeing is only about 1cm deep.

If you are going to use this then make sure the top of your door frame is I'd say an inch thick.

I think someone else has posted the dimensions elsewhere in a review on here, but save yourself a lot of trouble and make sure you have a suitably thick door frame BEFORE you order!. I have had to return mine, obviously unused - as it won't fit on any of my door frames!

Maybe "Amazon" should include minimum door frame requirements in their product description to avoid returns, or maybe it's just me who has the wrong type of door frame edgeing...

1.0 out of 5 stars The contents of the box is of poor quality and is not a JML genuine product, 21 July 2014
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
I purchased the "JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar". Firstly, this is not a JML product, the product is a fraud and the seller is not honest. The contents of the box is of poor quality and is not a JML genuine product. The part of the product which cantilevers off the door frame has an imprinted text that says "Door Gym" (probably the name given by the manufacturers of this copied product). I have owned the original JML Iron Gym in the past, and this is definitly not genuine. There is no JML logo to be found anywhere on the product, the box, the booklet inside nor the makeshift copied mini DVD.

The mini DVD that comes with this product did not load on my DVD player, so I attempted to load it on my laptop. The DVD immediately was flagged up by my anti-virus software as containing a 'malicious trojan', something that steals bank details, passwords and other information that you access through the computer. Furthermore, the DVD is a copied DVD, not genuine. In my view, this is criminal activity on behalf of the seller, and I may be taking consumer legal action against "Pure Source Nutrition" as they have named themselves.

Back to the actual product. As this product is not genuine, I would not risk the injury/potential of paralysis when I am hanging from this cheaply made bar with my 200lbs of bodyweight. I am very disappointed as this is an issue of health and safety. The foam handles are already flimsy and peeling off and I have not bothered to assemble this joke of a pullup bar as it cannot be trusted.

All in all, very disappointed with the seller and this bar. Amazon.co.uk will be notified promptly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout, 26 Aug 2009

Building 5/5
Putting it together was very straight forward and probably took the best part of 5/10 minutes. The spanner that comes with it is very basic but it does the job.

Backs 5/5
The wide grip was not as wide as I would have liked but it was good enough to really work my lats, I used the other two grips one set a piece until I finished my set of 6 and was very pleased with the workout. I was able to move slowly and controlled and the iron gym left no marks on my wall. Im not a small guy I weight in at 210lb there was no fear of falling.

Dips 0/5
I'm not convinced by the dips as the range of movement is limited, personally I think that is just trying too hard to make the sale. If dips is your thing I would suggest looking at an additional products to go with this one.

Press ups 3/5
Okay you can do press ups on here and the range of movement was good if you are a beginner, however intermediate and above may prefer to do some clapping press ups to build explosive power.

Abs 5/5 (hanging) 3/5 (seated)
The sit up function is good if you are top half heavy or a beginner but I prefer to work my abs by doing hanging leg raises when it is on the door and then mix them up with traditional crunches, however there is a wide variety of movements you can do depending on space as you can work a wider range of movement.

The Guide 2/5
The guide that comes with it is basic, if you aready have intermediate experience of training and eating for performance they you will not learn anything new. However if you are new then the guide will help set up a basic foundation based on its example menu and food types.

Overall 4/5
I would say this is a great product for what you pay for its going to do what it is suppose to; give you a great workout as part of a bigger plan. I would say this product is great for maintaining and build lean mass but if you are looking for that spartan look you may want to invest in some dumb bells too.

Eat well and train safe

David

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of kit!, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
I was a bit unsure over whether to buy this item considering some other reviews it got. However I received it very quickly, came with all the parts, was in mint condition and is fantastic value for money. It also came with a little hex screw thing that helped you tie the head of the medium bolts and the long bolts. Also a handy safety wedge which you hammer to the top of the door, very small thing however if your going to use this all round your house it's not entirely convenient. My main concern WAS the dimensions, I couldn't find the ones I needed anywhere so I did them myself.

Thickness of rectangular bar holding onto the door tab = 2 cm exactly
Length from the longest point = 90 cm

Great bit of kit seriously recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars The "secret" dimensions of the JML Iron Gym, 14 Jan 2010
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
I recently bought the Iron Gym by JML. I saw many reviews and I thought I should put my own opinion about the product. The structure of IG is OK, aluminium and light. What you must check is the dimensions of your door and the thickness of the frame! The height of my door is almost 2,00 metres, meaning that the bar of the IG is coming down to 1.80m. You must bent your knees to do your exercises and if you are taller than I am (1.80m) you should consider it twice... The other thing is the width of the door. My door is 61cm wide and the width of the IG bars is 92cm. The bars are facing the side walls, so it is not possible to have your hands wide open. Now, the tricky part has to do with the door frame. The IG's plastic bar that stands on the frame is 45cm wide, 4cm tall and 2,3cm deep. So, in the usual frames, which are not more than 1,5cm thick seems insecure. The IG comes with a hook to hold the plastic bar (the plastic bar is OK), but the hook is ridiculously thin, definitely not made to hold your body. I am lucky because my frames are deep (5cm) and I can put the IG without any fear. The three stars are there because the IG, as a product is OK and stands easily my 70kgs, but the firm doesn't say anything about its dimensions (the hook is not mentioned either). Certainly, the other guy, who mentioned the bar with the screws is right, but if you don't own a house you have to compromise. Also, the IG is OK for push ups but use the coffee table against your sofa to do your dips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Piece of Equipment, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
What will it do for you? Buy this piece of equipment if you want to strengthen your upper body and stomach muscles. More specifically, you will be able to work your biceps (front of arms), triceps (back of arms), latissimus dorsi (the back muscle that give you that V-shape), pectorals (chest muscles), and abdominals (stomach muscles). Note I would not expect this piece of equipment to work any of your leg muscles if used conventionally. Of course there's a lot of accessory muscles that might get a little work-out too, such as your forearm muscles because you're gripping a lot, and parts of your shoulder, but the major muscles that will get worked the most are listed above.

How do you use it? You do a lot of the exercises hanging. Therefore, if you're not into hanging on to things, skip this piece of equipment entirely. The first big exercise you can do on it is the chin-up, where you're pulling yourself up to the bar and then lowering. This will work you biceps and lats the most.

You can vary the grip. Know that using a palms up grip is best, simply because you'll be putting your biceps in the most mechanically efficient position for them to contract, and so you'll able to pull up more times than if you used a palms-down grip. Try it- you won't be able to do as many chins with your palms down, or in a middle position. In fact, the palms down grip will work your biceps a lot less, so if you want bigger biceps, use a palms up grip! Switch grips for variety if you want- I'm just sayin' what's more productive and what works what the best.

The next big exercise is the dip. The dip will work your triceps and your chest muscles the most. Your front deltoid will get a fair workout as well. However, because the exercise is called a "dip", and setting this thing on the floor to do dips doesn't allow you to "dip" down very far, don't expect to get much of a workout doing a dip with the Iron Gym.

Next is the push up. You put the bar on the floor and do push-ups with it- which will work the triceps, as well as the chest. This is a good, productive exercise, and the Iron Gym makes it harder than a regular floor push-up because you are up off the floor and can lower yourself lower- which gives your chest a good stretch as well as making the push-ups harder.

Lastly is the sit-ups. You can put this bar on the floor to anchor your feet to help stabilize your body better to do a sit-up. Contrary to popular belief, if you are doing a sit-up with maximal effort (doing them until you can't do another one), EMG studies have shown that your ENTIRE ab muscle is contracting. Sooo, know that you're not working the "upper abs" more than the "lower abs" when using this device to do a sit-up- rather your whole abdominal rectus muscle is getting worked and stronger.

Okay, so that's the major exercises you can do, although I guess you could pick it up and make up a few of you own moves if you wanted to. A few details. Some people have had trouble with this thing fitting in their doorway. My advice is to just try it- if it doesn't work, ship it back to Amazon for a refund and call it a day. If you're an engineer, look at some of the other reviews that have given precise dimensions, get out your protractor, and measure away to be sure it will work. That's just too much work for me...

Will this get you stronger? Yep- but only so much. Anyone reading the strength training research knows that once you can do more than around 20 reps in a row, you're going to be building muscle ENDURANCE more than muscle STRENGTH. That's the major beef I have with these kinds of pieces of exercise equipment- there's no way to easily make the exercise harder as you get stronger. And if you can't make the exercise progressively harder, the muscle isn't stimulated to get bigger and stronger as time goes on- unlike exercise machines with a weight stack that enable you to gradually increase the weight to constantly challenge the muscle. Trust me, the guy in the video didn't get arms like that by just doing chin after chin using just his own body weight. Perhaps he had a small child grab his legs as he did the chins, or had his girlfriend sit on his back as he did pushups...

Overall this is not a bad piece of equipment, you just have to know its limitations- like how strong it will get you, and what muscles it works. A few tips. If you can't pull yourself up and do a single chin-up (have your wife or girlfriend try one for fun), just use a chair to stand on to get you to the top position, and then slowly lower yourself to the floor while hanging on to the bar- then repeat until you can't do any more. You'll find that after a week or two of doing chins like this (just the lowering part), you'll soon be able to do a full regular chin-up where you pull yourself up to the top position no problem. This works because you're about 50% stronger lowering something than you are lifting it. And for those who have a shoulder problem (or want to avoid one)- I suggest the rotator cuff exercises outlined in Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars Measure your walls first!, 24 Oct 2009
R. D. SWEENEY "Richard" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
Hi. Just got the Iron Gym through the door, put it together and when I went to try it out I discovered that in order to stay in position my walls would have to be aprox. 12 cm thick for the bar to stay in the correct horizontal position.On top of that, even if the walls were thick enough I doubt if the frame is and the hook is as about as helpful as a piece of blue tack. Anyway, it is clear that the sellers of Iron Gym do not include measurements for the simple reason that it would affect their sales, as it is quite easy to measure and inform the customers of the minimum depth of wall or doorframe needed. Before buying the product I checked out the other reviews which were mainly 4 or 5 stars. Now I am quite wary of such reviews because I find it hard to believe that so many people have walls of such depth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Careful!!, 8 Nov 2011
Tw Parker (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
Take note. The sales spill is wonderful and makes out this is the best thing since sliced bread.

However out of all the door frames in my house it only fits on one! That's in the toilet.

I'm under 12 stone the instructions are that it can handle far more weight than this.
However after 1 months use, there is already a hairline split in the frame!
I dread to think how this will develop in time.

I'll use it until it breaks in two, hopefully i wont injure myself too mich!
then look elsewhere for another one.

Would not purchase this one again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Check your doorframe depth first, 21 Oct 2009
G. Russell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
I put this together as per the instructions. So far, so good. It feels fairly sturdy and was straightforward to construct. Where it all falls down (literally) is that when I attach the chin up bar across the doorframe, it doesn't stay in place when I start putting my (10st) weight on it, and the safety hook (a thin safety hook that you slide into the back of the doorframe, between the frame and the wall) just gives way. My best guess is that it needs a much deeper doorframe i.e. that the frames in my house do not stick out enough from the wall. The depth of my doorframes is about 4mm with the result that the bar had little to catch on and the hook was left taking most of the weight. My guess is you're probably supposed to have frames of at least 1.5cm, and judging from the depth of the safety hook and the thickness of the bar that rests on the frame, perhaps as much as 2.5cm. There's nothing in the product description or installation instructions that mentions this. Unfortunately none of my doors appear to have a frame deep enough for this, so I'm left a bar that can only be used for push ups and sit ups, both of which I can do without a bar anyway. So it'll be going to the charity shop.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning - Check Your Door Frame First!, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: JML Iron Total Gym Upper Body Workout Bar (Sports)
As with a previous reviewer, I also had an issue with the size of the door frame. But whilst his was too small, allowing slipping, mine is too big, preventing the bar from fitting at all.

The door frame in question is in an old Victorian house, and measures 0.81m (32") inside to inside, with a depth of 0.18m (7") and the height of the architrave is 0.18m (7"). The issue is not with the inside measurement, the bar fits perfectly in this dimension; as advertised. The issue is with the depth and the height of the architrave, the door is too deep in order to allow the bar to sit on top of the architrave - making it completely ineffective and useless to me.

But at this point I did not give up. I took the bar to my parents house to see if it would fit on one of their doors. It did. Their door frame was about 0.81m (32") inside to inside, with a depth of about 0.13m (5") and the height of the architrave was only about 0.08m (3") (with a decent lip to enable the bar to sit on, about 0.025m (1")).

At this point I was satisfied, I could have had a better setting for my workout, but I hadn't wasted my money. So I then proceeded to test the bar out.

This is when I came across another issue. I grasped the bar and went to dangle from it, except whilst my knees were touching the floor, my arms were not fully extended. I was too tall to exercise properly (I am 1.89m (6'2")).

In addition to this, whilst I was testing it, the door frame was making some unhealthy noises. I wasn't even putting all of my weight on the bar. I have a mass of 88kg (13st 10lb). And so I would only even use this bit of kit if you are lighter than me, or have very sturdy door frames. Admittedly, my parents door frames are a bit flimsy.

So what I had to do with the bar in the end is use it in my garage. I simply placed it above some beams in the roof structure and have to stand on a gas canister to reach it. I'm sure you will agree that I could have got a much cheaper bar in order to do this, or quite simply - just a pipe.

So if you are going to buy one of these bars, I would make sure your door frame is suitable i.e. smaller than my Victorian one and made to last. I would also advise someone as tall, or nearly as tall, as me to find an alternative. You will only be disappointed.

I have given this 2 stars because even though it does not work for me, I'm sure it will work flawlessly for certain people with the right set of conditions.

I hope this review was helpful.