4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Fun Fun
It's easy to understand why Yorkshire Television commissioned this series. Though I'm sure it was initially a three episode toe in the water the actors would appeal to a mass audience. With Dennis Waterman (fresh from the ever popular Minder) combining his cheeky London charm with the gorgeous Yorkshire accented Jan Francis a sure hit was in the offing. I think they got...
Published on 26 Jan 2012 by P. F. Yardley

3.0 out of 5 stars A Steady Series
This first series of Stay Lucky comprises only three episodes. It is a light-hearted drama with a far fetched storyline. Dennis Waterman is a fine actor but this is not his best work. However it was something different for him after "Minder". Yorkshiremen may recognise some of the locations around Leeds etc.
Recommended as an easygoing drama, but nothing more.
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by Mr. P. Fixter

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to like Dennis Waterman and Jan Francis, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
I liked this because I like both of these actors and in the first series the wonderful Emma Wray was cast as well but sadly not in the rest. I suppose if I were to sum this up in one sentence I would have to say...When 'Terry' left his job as minder to 'Arfur', this is where he went. It even starts with him leaving London for a new life. Well that and to escape the villains. But I'm a Dennis Waterman fan, have been ever since 'Up the Junction' which incidentally is where I'm from so that probably makes me biased. But as far as I'm concerned, this is old Waterman and Francis at their best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stay Lucky Review, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
I received this DVD from Amazon, promptly by Royal Mail. DVD is in excellant condition. I never saw this series when originally shown on ITV, but have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars funny sast paced, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
These two click in these episodes. If only the series continues on this high note.

Later episodes were silly and cliched

5.0 out of 5 stars Minder Heads North, 6 Feb 2012
S. Riley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
I loved this show when it originally aired in the early '90s, and it's great to see it now finally available on DVD.

If you enjoyed Dennis Waterman in "Minder" you'll enjoy this show too, because his character (Thomas Gynn) is to all intents and purposes just Terry McCann under a different name. Recommended to all fans of quality UK comedy-drama.

4.0 out of 5 stars More please, 4 Oct 2010
David Wheadon "David, Hamburg" (Hamburg Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
I purchased this DVD and have had great fun watching it. It might not be a "Classic" series but it's entertaining, full of humour and quips. When will the rest be available? soon I hope, great watching for those cold wet Sunday evenings when there is nothing on the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun in Leeds, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
A nice comedy even if Jan Francis does a dodgy Yorkshire accent ! . Good storie lines, easy watching and fun . Enjoy :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Old memories, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this series as much as I did when it came out many years ago. It has a good story line and some comedy incorporated into it. The two leading actors really make this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky indeed!, 21 Sep 2010
Marysia (Brooklyn, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
This show (at least this first series) is so enjoyable, I've watched all three episodes six times in the past seven days. I certainly hope the rest of the series will be released soon. The cast is wonderful! This is light-hearted, thoroughly entertaining and a most relaxing way to ease the everyday nonsense of normal life. Beginning and ending with a theme that makes me want to get up and dance, I've got the dialogue almost memorized, and still look forward to watching it again and again. The American goons certainly annoyed me, but so did the English goons. However, they served their purpose. "Please, sir, I want some more!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky find, 9 Nov 2009
Mrs. MB LYMER (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
My husband loved this programme and we have been searching for a DVD for him. He will watch it over and over.

Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989]
Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] by Jan Francis (DVD - 2009)
10.67