5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this Lifemax reading lite!
This lamp is brilliant and so much better than the last one of it's kind that I had.

Published on 28 Oct. 2009 by A. C. johnson

Read the reviews of replacement bulbs and only buy the lamp if you're prepared to spend c. £10 on new bulbs fairly frequently. I'm giving mine away, if anyone wants it.

UPDATE
Before I gave it away, it stopped working again, 2 1/2 years old. I strongly advise against buying these things.

I bought another new bulb but it still didn't work, so I...
Published 16 months ago by Mr Gumby

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this Lifemax reading lite!, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Lifemax 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light (Kitchen & Home)

The design is great and easy to use. The switch is in a handy position. The stem is completely flexible so that you can move the light-head around well. The base is compact so doesn't need a lot of space. I am particulaly pleased to see that it has an ordinary plug - not a transformer.( The last light that I had like this did have a transformer plug which got so hot - it melted. Very safe - NOT!)

The Lifemax light also makes me feel good when I'm reading in it's lovely daylight glow

I couldn't ask for me. I thoroughly recommend it - it is great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemax High Vision Reading Light 250 Floor standing, 19 Feb. 2010
Phil (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent reading light giving a broad spread of pure white light
with minimal shadow. Small but solid base allows the lamp to be located
close beside user's chair. A liitle care is needed during assembly to
avoid cross-threading the two sections of the stand, a light smear of
petroleum jelly simplified assembly. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light, 8 Oct. 2010
Mr. P. M. Plumridge (Far North UK) - See all my reviews
Followed the assembly instructions carefully and had no real problems. As this was in daylight I just did a quick on and off to check that it worked ok. Later on when there was still enough daylight left to read comfortably I tried reading my local paper with daylight and then with the lamp and was impressed how much clearer the words became.

One word of advice. High vision refers to the light output and not to the height of the lamp. It is actually quite small which of course means that the light is closer to the page but might come as a surprise when you first assemble it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light, very well built, 28 Nov. 2010
Mark D. Spiteri (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I read some of the other reviews before buying, and noted the issues with assembly. For me, of course, having read of the difficulties, it was very straightforward. Basically just apply some grease on the threads before you attempt assembly - get a friend or spouse to help (much easier), and do the bottom and the top bits before attempting the middle bit. It will take 5 mins this way.

Once assembled it's a very solidly built light, and it produces a very nice crisp white light.

Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemax reading light, 3 Mar. 2010
Mr. Ronald Baker "Ron Baker" (Isle of Sheppey) - See all my reviews
The lifemax reading light is great.
Easy to assemble, clear instructions, took about 5 minutes, with no problems.
The light is just what I hoped for, nice looking, substantial base, and a light I can really read well by.
The optician tod me to make sure I had a good light when I read, and not rely on an ordinary lamp, or the window. I don't have a major eyesight problem, but at 66 years old just need to make sure I have a good light to read by. This light is ideal, and I can bend it around so the light falls where I need it.
It also has a very economical wattage, 26 I think, so you get a brighter light for a quarter of the cost!
Definitely recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bulbs and the lamps themselves fail prematurely - you have been warned, 16 Nov. 2013
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

UPDATE

I bought another new bulb but it still didn't work, so I tried the old and new lamps in someone else's lamp and they both worked. Clearly my lamp was faulty. I called Lifemax in Thatcham who told me the lamps are not repairable and all they were prepared to offer was a replacement 'at cost' but 'cost' turned out to be higher than Amazon's selling price!

These lamps are dreadful - unreliable, with expensive, short-lived bulbs. There are better, more attractive ways of getting artificial daylight into your home, such as buying a daylight bulb for an existing lamp.

Incidentally, if yours fails, the Sale of Goods Act 1979, section 14, says that goods must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and durable. That means something like a lamp should last a lot longer than 18 months. If it doesn't, you should demand a free repair or replacement (including any postage costs) from the retailer (not the manufacturer).

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but assembly difficult, 25 May 2010
C "Curmudgeonly Clive" (Cardiff, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First the good stuff. Excellent spectrum for serious reading, with brightness more than adequate from the 27w CFL. I assume from the weight that there is quite a bit of electronics in the base unit, and it certainly keeps it well anchored!

The build quality is what one would expect for the price paid, viz pretty good, but not the beat. The description as being of plastic doesn't do it justice since it is substantially metal with plastic goose-neck and lamp housing etc. OK I'm 5ft 10ins, and taller sitting down than standing up (!) but I can't see how the on/off switch could be made any more accessible, a criticism voiced elsewhere.

Contrary to another comment the assembled sections are really quite rigid once you have correctly assembled the unit ( but see later). I thought that the height might be a little low cf a conventional standard lamp, but I must say it is ideal for reading which is its raison d'etre.

Now the not so good stuff. As has been highlighted by others, assembly is tricky at best, and I personally found it very difficult single handed. The sequence of assembly is non intuitive, viz base first, top second, and middle third and last. This deserves to he highlighted more than it is. Folding back the final excess of cable into the base pole is really very difficult indeed, and there just has to be a better way. The sections do not fit readily together and as has been commented elsewhere it would be only too easy to cross thread the sections. This does not impart a feeling of quality. These difficulties are compounded by the fact that none of the threads gave been lubricated (i.e. greased). Would it have been so hard to lightly grease the threads or at least to provide a small sachet of Silicone grease for the purpose? Fortunately I had such to hand, but at a minimum assembly should not be attempted without at least a modicum of Vaseline!

So basically a good performer but flawed because of poor assembly method ( come back MFI all is forgiven!). If you can live with this, buy it, otherwise you'll have to go for an Alex lamp at the egregious prices they charge. Can you guess what I did?

Bon courage

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly warm bright light that is not hard on the eyes,"modern look" stand and base, 25 Oct. 2011
Amazon Customer (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
×The latest version of this light has now done away with the interlocking section on the pole and the cable has click in terminals for the to and from feeds for the lamp and base×
I purchased one of these very affordable and substantial looking lamps and was immediately asked to get another so the two of us could use our own independently whilst together on the same large sofa.
Setting the lights angle, height and distance from what we are reading or for what we are using is an absolute doddle.

I find the Lifemax floor standing reading light has a *very* pleasant bright ,yet it's a softer white light output not in any way fatiguing,it is certainly not as clinical in spectrum as some other lamps I have encountered (which have kept me awake when I should be feeling sleepy) Also I do not detect any flicker,it's noiseless on startup too.

I cannot emphasize how good I rate the quality of light emitted enough for reading without sounding like I have shares in the company -- it is simply superb. On/off is at the top so no looking for an inline switch on a trailing mains lead or on the base.
[I shall attempt to upload pictures after this written review]

Economy: One of these units would have to be on around 37 hours to take 1KW of electricity -- (which on average is charged at around 19p in the UK)

The 27 Watt (6500K colour temperature) lamps in each of these emit the equivalent of 150w (if compared to a filament bulb output in lux) and is described as "full spectrum" , only in this design the light distribution is aided by a diffused style of reflector behind it and it does not overpower the user when it is pointed at any reading material -- in fact it illuminates our furniture or anything within its projection angle better than any lights we have owned ,creating a relaxing mood whilst still remaining practical and user adjustable.

I found that on placing both units we have-either side of the sofa but pointing the head instead of forwards, toward the wall behind our sofa their light reflects the colour of the paint on that wall throughout the entire room, this is adds ambiance and creates an inviting warming relaxing look to our Lounge I had not seen this achieved with such ease,with conventional style bulbs including halogen/filament,or Eco types before this at this cost.

Assembly was quite straight forward, the two cables that run from the entire length of the lamp in the top section are already channeled in the box through *all sections* to the base and it is simply a case of assembling -- completely without screwdrivers ensuring cable stays within each section before either twisting or turning to screw sections in place -- at the base a screw is used to hold it in position,this can be turned using fingers as the top has a wide plastic head.
As long as the cables in the base end-- lamp end and sections are evenly distributed without pushing too much cable into any one section you shouldn't have any problems.
There is an issue with one section twisting to an open/unlocked position -- which needs a band of strong neutral coloured electrical tape or similar to prevent pulling on the internal cables on lifting.
One of the best buys we made on Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps People with Poor Vision, 18 Feb. 2010
Mrs. C. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this lamp for my 90 year old father who has macular degeneration and avoids having to read anything for very long. He has now increased the length of time he reads because the light given off by this lamp is just so good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine performance, 19 Jun. 2010
I read all the reviews and concluded that whilst the light's performance seemed to be good, the build quality leaves something to be desired and assembly is difficult.

My sight is not what it was and, because I'm passionate about reading, the light's performance is all important. In this respect it doesn't disappoint and the light really does provide clarity and definition over a wide area. The build quality is only average, however, and I doubt whether you'd find it on sale in a top Dpt.Store. The finished article is solid enough, if a little "wonky" looking, and should last a few years if it's not moved around too much. If you take your time putting it together, lubricating the threaded connections as recommended by other reviewers, then there should be no real problems but be patient when pushing the over long cabling into the tubes.

Spare bulbs are available from the supplier but not easy to find elsewhere. Find the supplier's website and enter 250A in the "quick search" box.

In conclusion, I would buy another one if this one went missing!