5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this Lifemax reading lite!
This lamp is brilliant and so much better than the last one of it's kind that I had.

Published on 28 Oct 2009 by A. C. johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but assembly difficult
First the good stuff. Excellent spectrum for serious reading, with brightness more than adequate from the 27w CFL. I assume from the weight that there is quite a bit of electronics in the base unit, and it certainly keeps it well anchored!

Published on 25 May 2010 by C

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this Lifemax reading lite!, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: Lifemax 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light (Kitchen & Home)

The design is great and easy to use. The switch is in a handy position. The stem is completely flexible so that you can move the light-head around well. The base is compact so doesn't need a lot of space. I am particulaly pleased to see that it has an ordinary plug - not a transformer.( The last light that I had like this did have a transformer plug which got so hot - it melted. Very safe - NOT!)

The Lifemax light also makes me feel good when I'm reading in it's lovely daylight glow

I couldn't ask for me. I thoroughly recommend it - it is great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemax High Vision Reading Light 250 Floor standing, 19 Feb 2010
Phil (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent reading light giving a broad spread of pure white light
with minimal shadow. Small but solid base allows the lamp to be located
close beside user's chair. A liitle care is needed during assembly to
avoid cross-threading the two sections of the stand, a light smear of
petroleum jelly simplified assembly. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light, 8 Oct 2010
Mr. P. M. Plumridge (Far North UK) - See all my reviews
Followed the assembly instructions carefully and had no real problems. As this was in daylight I just did a quick on and off to check that it worked ok. Later on when there was still enough daylight left to read comfortably I tried reading my local paper with daylight and then with the lamp and was impressed how much clearer the words became.

One word of advice. High vision refers to the light output and not to the height of the lamp. It is actually quite small which of course means that the light is closer to the page but might come as a surprise when you first assemble it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light, very well built, 28 Nov 2010
Mark D. Spiteri (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I read some of the other reviews before buying, and noted the issues with assembly. For me, of course, having read of the difficulties, it was very straightforward. Basically just apply some grease on the threads before you attempt assembly - get a friend or spouse to help (much easier), and do the bottom and the top bits before attempting the middle bit. It will take 5 mins this way.

Once assembled it's a very solidly built light, and it produces a very nice crisp white light.

Love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but assembly difficult, 25 May 2010
C "Curmudgeonly Clive" (Cardiff, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The build quality is what one would expect for the price paid, viz pretty good, but not the beat. The description as being of plastic doesn't do it justice since it is substantially metal with plastic goose-neck and lamp housing etc. OK I'm 5ft 10ins, and taller sitting down than standing up (!) but I can't see how the on/off switch could be made any more accessible, a criticism voiced elsewhere.

Contrary to another comment the assembled sections are really quite rigid once you have correctly assembled the unit ( but see later). I thought that the height might be a little low cf a conventional standard lamp, but I must say it is ideal for reading which is its raison d'etre.

Now the not so good stuff. As has been highlighted by others, assembly is tricky at best, and I personally found it very difficult single handed. The sequence of assembly is non intuitive, viz base first, top second, and middle third and last. This deserves to he highlighted more than it is. Folding back the final excess of cable into the base pole is really very difficult indeed, and there just has to be a better way. The sections do not fit readily together and as has been commented elsewhere it would be only too easy to cross thread the sections. This does not impart a feeling of quality. These difficulties are compounded by the fact that none of the threads gave been lubricated (i.e. greased). Would it have been so hard to lightly grease the threads or at least to provide a small sachet of Silicone grease for the purpose? Fortunately I had such to hand, but at a minimum assembly should not be attempted without at least a modicum of Vaseline!

So basically a good performer but flawed because of poor assembly method ( come back MFI all is forgiven!). If you can live with this, buy it, otherwise you'll have to go for an Alex lamp at the egregious prices they charge. Can you guess what I did?

Bon courage

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine performance, 19 Jun 2010
I read all the reviews and concluded that whilst the light's performance seemed to be good, the build quality leaves something to be desired and assembly is difficult.

My sight is not what it was and, because I'm passionate about reading, the light's performance is all important. In this respect it doesn't disappoint and the light really does provide clarity and definition over a wide area. The build quality is only average, however, and I doubt whether you'd find it on sale in a top Dpt.Store. The finished article is solid enough, if a little "wonky" looking, and should last a few years if it's not moved around too much. If you take your time putting it together, lubricating the threaded connections as recommended by other reviewers, then there should be no real problems but be patient when pushing the over long cabling into the tubes.

Spare bulbs are available from the supplier but not easy to find elsewhere. Find the supplier's website and enter 250A in the "quick search" box.

In conclusion, I would buy another one if this one went missing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemax reading light, 3 Mar 2010
Mr. Ronald Baker "Ron Baker" (Isle of Sheppey) - See all my reviews
The lifemax reading light is great.
Easy to assemble, clear instructions, took about 5 minutes, with no problems.
The light is just what I hoped for, nice looking, substantial base, and a light I can really read well by.
The optician tod me to make sure I had a good light when I read, and not rely on an ordinary lamp, or the window. I don't have a major eyesight problem, but at 66 years old just need to make sure I have a good light to read by. This light is ideal, and I can bend it around so the light falls where I need it.
It also has a very economical wattage, 26 I think, so you get a brighter light for a quarter of the cost!
Definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemax High vision reading lamp, 21 Nov 2009
John Smith "johno" (devon england) - See all my reviews
This lamp is really brilliant as the fluorescent tubes spread the light in a much better way. The best light I have ever had and beats anything else

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps People with Poor Vision, 18 Feb 2010
Mrs. C. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this lamp for my 90 year old father who has macular degeneration and avoids having to read anything for very long. He has now increased the length of time he reads because the light given off by this lamp is just so good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Light fantastic, 28 Dec 2010
P. Hewer (Thame, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I would just echo the comments of other reviewers. This product Lifemax High Vision Reading Light 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light delivers an excellent level of light just where you need it. Next to it our previous "reading" light looks very dim and yellow. I bought this for my wife's birthday as she has a vision problem and she revels in it, reading for long spells.
However (and hence only 4 stars) putting it together is tricky and the upright pole on ours still tilts at an angle from the base. I read the reviews about how easy it is to get crossed threads and followed advice by lubricating the threads before assembly. Even with a degree in engineering and taking extreme care, it tilts from the base. I am 95% sure the threads are not crossed and the join seems secure, so possibly the threaded socket in the base is not set vertical. The other joints are properly aligned. Apart from this it has a solid, well-made feel to it. For the price this is an excellent piece of kit. A pity they can't come up with a better solution to the assembly.