5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 21 Jan 2010 by David E. Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Luck of the draw brought me blisters
Looking at all the positive reviews I feel I must have drawn the short straw with the pair I received.

Published 13 months ago by Insula

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Jan 2010
David E. Black "D. Black" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Having first used Hi-Tech Silver Shadow and Silver Shadow X4's from around 1991 I have continued to use them ever since. I have tried others that left me with shin splints and other niggling difficulties and always returned to the old faithfuls. I love Asics for the gym but for road running, and I have completed literally thousands of miles over the years, Hi-Tech Silver Shadow have always provided me with both the comfort and reliability at minimum cost that most plodders need. Inexpensive and easily located through the web. Like others, I dread the day that Hi-Tech stop making them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned, 16 Nov 2009
My grown up children hate them because they look so old fashioned.However I love them and buy pair after pair.They are so comfy and warm I wear them as slippers.
They are great for jogging in (not that I do much nowadays).I use older pairs for outside and still older pairs for gardening etc.
They are increasingly difficult to get and not quite as good as they were 15 years ago but the price hasn't gone up much in all those years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Luck of the draw brought me blisters, 11 Sep 2013

I used to wear and love Silver Shadows many years ago, and was looking forward to using them again. At first they seemed very comfortable right out of the box, but after my first long walk in them I developed a large blister in a very unusual place - about one inch up in the middle of the outer side of my left foot, and nowhere else. I'm used to walking, and also to using inserts etc. to counteract problems with blisters, but there was nothing I could use to stop this problem due to its location.

I hoped that the problem would disappear once the shoes were worn in, but, unfortunately, the blister kept re-appearing in the same place and got even larger - well over an inch in diameter. It would take me several days of waiting for it to heal before I could go out walking anywhere again. Also, I unwittingly let too much time go by, and now I can't return them.

On examining the shoe I can feel a very hard piece of something (plastic?) that's inside the cloth etc. and wrapped around the heel of the shoe, presumably to give it support. But the edges are very hard, especially in the left shoe, and this is what's causing the blister to form. Short of performing surgery to try and soften the offending edge, I can't see any solution, so, reluctantly, I must bin them.

As I say, it's probably just that I got a duff pair, with the insert wrongly placed during the manufacturing process somehow, or maybe it's because these shoes are not any good for walking (though they used to be, in the past) but I'm putting the review in just in case anyone else gets this oddly-placed blister problem so that they know that they're not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, 13 Feb 2011
Thompson Family "jst" (Tanfield, Co. Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I no longer wear these for running (tempus fugit & overweight!!), however I have worn Silver Shadows for leisure & casual wear for over 10 years now (not the same pair!). Hard-wearing. Can be washed & even scrubbed. Wide fitting. When new I think they are extremely smart (they must be, as my wife accepts them as my footwear when we are out). Light weight. As they become scruffier over time they are then used as walking shoes (not suitable for rough walking)& then when on their last legs, as gardening wear! Excellent value. I am so surprised that I can still buy them, as they have been on the market place for over 10 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi tec silver shadow running shoes, 26 Mar 2009
These are the most comfortable trainers you can buy. Now on the fourth pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value!!, 4 Sep 2010
I purchased these running shoes as my last pair of shoes were leaving me with shin splints at the end of a not so long run. Since wearing these Silver Shadows, problem has disappeared. For the price I cannot recommend them highly enough. I am not a very experienced runner, but like to get out for a few kilometers a couple of times per week. This shoe totally fits my needs and provides excellent value!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for oldies!, 29 Nov 2009
M. Hogg (Belfast N Ireland) - See all my reviews
My 14 year (hard to please) twins love these trainers. They both do track running at school and I had been buying expensive track shoes but at the rate their feet are growing - now size 10 I couldn't afford to replace these shoes every few months.

My boys say these trainers are really good for running and general use and I will definitely be buying more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoe-shine, 9 Oct 2012
I have been buying this item for over twenty years and have never been disappointed with the product. the Hi Tec Silver Shadow looks good and feels comfortable and washes well in the washing machine, what more can you want in footwear? They were also recommended by the local hospital!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 15 Dec 2011
Have worn these trainers about 4 times and the bottom split nearly causing me to fall, will try to return them but to be honest do not hold out much hope. Its a real shame as they are very comfortable and the reviews were so positive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 4 Aug 2009
R. Thomas (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
These trainers are of excellent quality and very hard-wearing. At this price, they are extremely good value for money. In addition, the service from the seller is first rate: very quick delivery.