Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 April 2012
I think that the follow up record "Lost & found" realises the potential apparent on this record and , of the two, is the one to choose. This earlier effort is no less enjoyable and includes some terrific tracks such as "I can't help it", "Within me", "Butterfly" and "Weak." The standout track is the brillian "On the other side" which absolutely nails this song and is totally infectious.

That said, there are a few moments where the results aren't quite as magical and "ESP" doesn't quite work as well as the jazz originals on the "Lost & found" release nor as successful as Herbie Hancock's "Butterfly" on this record. Ellington's "Azure" doesn't quite take off either but these reservations aside, Gretchen Parlato remains for me one of the most exciting jazz artists to arrive on the scene in the last couple of years after a period in the 2000's where alot of the new talent seemed a bit conservative. Backed by a very good band that includes Aaron Parks on piano, I think presents a brave redefining of what jazz vocals are now about and whilst I love the pop-savvy quality of this record, the follow up really fulfils the potential. That said, I am a big fan of this singer and would recommend both CD's unreservedly.
on 10 December 2012
I discovered Gretchen recently. I was surprised to read that she was the daughter of one of Frank Zappa's Mother's of Invention. Strange pedigree one may think. But Gretchen gets it right and touches that sound when it comes to Brazilian / Latin music. A must for anybody who loves Latin Jazz.
on 14 June 2010
Great vocalists and instrumentalists.Comes over as an overture to modern love.Like the mix of musicians from different continents and styles.Guitar piano drums and bass.Songs old and new.Perfect and makes you dream new dreams?!