5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try...
Undoubtedly many die-hard fans were waiting for a longtime for the gaps to be filled in on tales alluded to in the orignal series. This is Weis & Hickman's first effort at trying to answer those questions.
Published on 9 Dec. 2007 by madradubh

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. . .
Published on 10 Jun. 2007 by Patrick St-Denis, editor of Pa...

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. . ., 10 Jun. 2007
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragons of Autumn Twilight was the first "true" fantasy novel I ever read. This was the book that made me fall in love with the genre, and I never looked back! Much like the first girl you kiss, these two authors have always held a special place in my heart. Even though they haven't written anything that really capture the imagination since the conclusion of The Deathgate Cycle in 1994, I always give them the benefit of the doubt and purchase their new books/series. Sadly, since then Weis and Hickman (together, solo, or with other collaborators) have produced works of average quality at best.:-(

Their last Dragonlance offering, The War of Souls trilogy, was a far cry from their popular Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends. This new series, The Lost Chronicles, will explore some of the storylines that were not part of the narrative of the original main sequence. Hence, it boded well for fans eager to see Weis and Hickman recapture their erstwhile excellence. After all, they were going back to their old stomping grounds, the world of Krynn, during the War of the Lance.

Honestly, I was pretty excited myself! For fans of the original series, this opportunity to go back in time and once again follow the adventures of the Companions is quite a kick. Characters such as Tanis, Raistlin Majere, Sturm Brightblade, Laurana, and Tasslehoff Burrfoot have all left an indelible mark in the fantasy genre.

The predominant problem with Dragons of the Dwarven Depths lies in the fact that there's nowhere near enough material to make a full-length novel. At best, this should have been a novella. Personally, I believe it would have worked best as a short story such as the ones Weis and Hickman came up with for the Tales trilogy.

There is so much "filler" in this book. . . I couldn't quite believe it. There are unnecessary portions filling us in on the back story. Given the fact that one needs to have read the original Dragonlance Chronicles, these parts of the narrative are totally obsolete. Add to that the inordinate amount of time spent journeying and I estimate that a good 50% of the novel could be excised without readers losing much of the story.

The second shortcoming of this book lies in the selection of the plotline that would serve as its backdrop. The search for the Hammer of Kharas was not part of the original saga, and there's a good reason why it was only alluded to in Dragons of Winter Night. It was only part of the Dragonlance roleplaying modules because the storyline wasn't that interesting to begin with. As I mentioned, not enough material. . .

Nevertheless, the narrative flows well enough, though the writing is a bit clunky at times. Although it's fun to be reunited with the characters we have grown to love, the fact that nothing really happens throughout the novel makes it hard to maintain our level of interest. I'm afraid that even Tass can't save this one.

My hopes for the forthcoming Dragons of the Highlord Skies are somewhat higher, what with the search of the dragon orb storyline and the presence of Lord Soth. I mean, come on! This one has to be good!

Hence, as fun as it is to go back in time and return to the events that marked the beginning of the War of the Lance, Dragons of the Dwarven Depths is a disappointing effort.

Check out my blog: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try..., 9 Dec. 2007
madradubh (The Universe) - See all my reviews
This is a work promised to us for nearly a decade by Weis & Hickman and it duly delivers. The plotting is good answering a raft of questions and keeping with the Dragonlance canon - something Weis (in particular)has been guilty of in the past - asserting their ownership of the franchise and smashing away Krynn history and canon - in their defence, they did create it...
However after the distinctly average 'War of the Souls' series, we find both writers on fine form here. The plot is fast paced (yes there are fillers -it is a common feature now of modern books that they recount plot ad infinitum - Trudi Canavan's 'Magicians' Guild' drove me crazy with the recap nearly every section in her trilogy)and very witty at times - Tas' sense of comedy has rarely shined better on occasion in this book. You can tell that Hickman & Weis are very comfortable around these characters, they own the page when they write as well as this. A great start to a hopefully very enjoyable series. Well done Weis & Hickman.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good to be back with old friends, 10 Nov. 2007
AK Jones (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
For me, the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends are the best Dungeons and Dragons-based novels available. Weis and Hickman created a band of heroes you really cared for. You witnessed them together and saw them split up to follow their own paths of destiny. This book is set between Dragonlance Chronicles 1 and 2. That means all the heroes are together and it's great to see them interacting with each other. It's like being with old friends and a certain amount of nostalgia creeps in. You also get a sense of the characters gaining in power, especially with Raistlin. In the original books you basically see him as a low level mage - cast the odd sleep spell here and there - who then becomes all powerful. In this novel you get to see him as a more intermediate-powered mage able now to cast fireball. The strength of this novel is revisiting the Heroes of the Lance. The story itself isn't that great and the ending with the appearance and defeat of the main eneimies was a bit lame and felt rushed.
Overall, I enjoyed the book but it's near impossible to be of the same quality as the Chronicles and Legends where the bar is set so high.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but not of the standard of the chronocles series, 26 Mar. 2008
Dmitri M. A. Hubbard (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
For those of you who read the chronocles series in the eighties or nineties and reread this beside those books, the author's writing style has matured considerably, but at the same time it appears that they have decided to pad out events to a large extent. In short, this book is not very exciting, although will be a trip down memory lane for those in need of one. There are no cliffhangers in the entire book of note.

Do not read this book unless you are a fan of Flint, or at least Tasslehoff (who isn't?). The book seems designed to give Flint more "screen time" as he doesnt make it to the end of the chronocles series.

I would say this book is worse than anything in the chronocles trilogy, the legends trilogy, or the soulforge. If you have already read those, you will probably better enjoy Dragons of the Highlord Skies, the follow-up to this effort. In short, this book is like an old friend who is familiar, comforting, but possibly not as interesting as you remembered.

4.0 out of 5 stars sounds familiar, 30 Sept. 2011
Omar Farid "order of choice" (from Qatar) - See all my reviews
basically, this was the firstbook i had read for Margaret weis and it thrilled me to the bones. it's full of action/magic adventure and so paced that i couldn't put it down, and it was a tremendous welcome for me into the realm of the dragonlance's big Jigsaw. however,chronologically speaking, this book could be the sequel to the dragons of autaums twilight espacially that the events are well synchronized within these two adventures.

Also, in terms of analogical point of view, i realized that some bits and pieces of this story sound familiar to me. For instance the finding the Hammer of Kharas is brilliantly and symetrically a twisted resemblance to finsinf the Excalibur sword for King Arthur even though the characters differ.

overall, since this was my first experience with margaret weis i would say i had totally been bewithed by her she is definitely a magic user like Raistlin as each chapter consumed me and mentally overpowered me within her dragon Orb .

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling, 17 Oct. 2010
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Dwarven Depths is a standalone novel featuring the all-star Companions from the original Dragons sequence. The timeline is set between the first two books and features a quest for the mystical Hammer of Kharas and a trip to Thorbardin, the sealed home of the dwarves. The material is rather lighthearted, as is the tone, making this Dragons book easy on the tension and emotions, which are clear strengths of Weis & Hickman in their previous work. Dwarven Depths feels like a short story and although completists will lap it up, as a singular novel it doesn't represent the strength of their previous work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could read these books for another 20years, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Dragons of the Dwarven Depths: Lost Chronicles, Volume One (Kindle Edition)
I read the chronicles when I was 18 and have read many books in the series since, now 43 and finding the time to read again the lost chronicles is like meeting up with old friends, a great read and my only wish would be to see Dragonlance given the same Hollywood attention that Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings has received, I'd recommend these stories as a must read for all fantasy lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The TWO, 8 Mar. 2014
I always wonder how those like the Brothers Grim, and others of their ilk seem to truly understand young children. The parents read these books solely for their kids.

Give them all the books by Margaret Weiss and Tracey Hickman and both child and parent will be transported to a world of wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dwarven Depths., 3 Aug. 2013
I loved it. I find the imaginative writing absorbes you into the various twists and turns of the numerable plots so that you find yourself actually picturing the story as it unfolds.

3.0 out of 5 stars more of the same- good!, 24 July 2006
I have just started reading this book, I'm only 25% into the story so far.

I bought the Dragons of Autumn Twilight book when it was first released (21 years ago?) and have lived with the characters ever since -I even took the chronicles with me when I backpacked around Australia and so read it countless times.

Returning to the 'young' characters is a bit odd and I think it should be read by those who have already read the Chronicles and Legend series first. (Raistlin risks losing a bit of his early mystery as hints are dropped about his involvement with Fistantipoodle - as Tika called him!)

It's good to be with old friends again, even so I'll only give the book three stars so far as I'm yet undecided about the story and the possibility of revealing too much of the characters early motivations too soon.

Edit: I enjoyed the book in the end so I heartily reccomend it.

By the way a dragonlance animated movie is in production for Autumn 2007 covering the whole of the book "Dragons of Autumn Twilight"!