4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, Great actor!
Published on 25 Oct 2005 by ruthie_uk2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Spader Man
Published on 24 May 2004 by S. P. Maxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Spader Man, 24 May 2004
S. P. Maxwell (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Stickup [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fun film which is worth the money if you like James Spader (and who doesn't? Okay, lots of people, especially after Crash, but if you do ...). It starts off with some pretty clichéd dialogue and situations, and the production values aren't particularly high, but the script lifts the film above average, with some very funny moments and a couple of good plot twists (it does cheat a bit, but I think it gets away with it). Having said all that there are many better ways to spend a tenner, so as I said, probably only worth the money if you're a Spader fan and you already have Secretary, Sex, Lie and Videotape, Stargate etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, Great actor!, 25 Oct 2005
This review is from: The Stickup [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit that my primary motivation for buying this film was James Spader; and whilst this is not his best film I was pleasantly surprised at its quality. The central plot revolves around a bank robbery, revealing the corruption of the local police force in attempts to solve the crime. I can recommend this highly to a Spader fan, though if you're not an avid watcher of his movies this may seem a little dull. Still, give it a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy, Tidy And Dangerous, 15 Nov 2005
Radiant Rose (from a rose-red 1960 Cadillac: solar-powered) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stickup [DVD] (DVD)
This film begins with a car chase. I prepared to be bored, as I dislike stories with fast cars or bank robberies. Yet, by the end, I was sad I would never again watch it without knowing what would happen. I encouraged my friends to watch it, and they all enjoyed it.
Why did I change my mind?
Mainly, I wondered what would happen to Natalie (Leslie Stefanson). Maybe what I had read about film heroines was out of date, but I was worried. She picks up a total stranger in a bar! Surely fate will punish her!
Yet I hoped that her rather drunken one-night stand with Parker (James Spader) would turn into something special. He is extremely sexy (you worked out why I was watching it in the first place!), yet also tidy! Alas, he then ambushes her, grabbing her around the throat. That cannot be a good sign.
True, the film has flaws. For example, the tiny scene at the petrol station marks a flashback, but this is not immediately clear. There are too many coincidences. Not Natalie's profession (that's kismet), but the cash till incident? Please!
The ending would be even better had we seen the finder of the stolen money receive a reward (in accordance with the wishes of the person who hid it!). Plus, I hope that writer-director Rowdy Herrington did not intend to suggest that Natalie would have driven whilst intoxicated.
However, these faults are cancelled out by the marvellous scene when the injured limp away. In a rather subtle manner, Herrington has set up situations where the good guys (whoever they are!) are jeopardised for not using more force. It is refreshing that death and injury are taken seriously.
Herrington, who has worked with Spader before ("Jack's Back") and since ("I Witness"), makes good use of his leading man's talent for playing mysterious characters who may be evil, or not. The whole cast is good, especially Stefanson and David Keith (as Natalie's ex).
Go on! Watch this! I would lend you my copy, but I think the lovely people at amazon would prefer you to buy one from them.
(This review refers to the ex-rental VHS version.)

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting plot, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Stick Up [DVD] (DVD)
When I first played this I thought it seems in the inital moments like a dated made for TV movie, but I quickly got caught up in the car chase then the rest of the plot and the acting by James Spader is as always, intense and engaging.

I ended up really liking it. The plot twist was good. Happy to recommend this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated B movie..., 7 Feb 2014
L. Hay "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Stickup [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great little film and was made on a small budget. It is definitely worth a viewing and is James Spader at his best. Quite a nice plot twist at the end.
So often the B movies endure and turn out to be the best.
Don't miss it.

4.0 out of 5 stars How did I miss this?, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Stick Up [DVD] (DVD)
A clever pacy crime thriller of a film with great performances. Very watchable with some neat plot twists and turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has an interesting development, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Stick Up [DVD] (DVD)
The Stick Up is a film with an unexpected twist. The plot catches the viewer's attention from start to finish. Absolutely entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars unexpected plot twist, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Stickup [DVD] (DVD)
this was an oldie but a goodie. A good plot twist that leaves you hanging. As usual he gets the girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, 25 Jun 2012
Robert Axelsson "Simone" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stick Up [DVD] (DVD)
A film that does not need big effects and still captures and holds your attention. Nice twist and James Spader is always a highlight to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 May 2009
This review is from: The Stickup [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of my favourite James Spader films. Lots of twists and turns. I've watched it over and over, it never gets stale.

ARRAY(0xa977efa8)

The Stick Up [DVD]
The Stick Up [DVD] by James Spader (DVD - 2008)
2.39