5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kettle!
I bought this kettle to replace my last one that was all made from stainless steel. I think this is an amazing kettle for many reasons: Firstly, the walls are glass, which means that you can see the water and also the base, so you know when it's time to clean it. Also, the illuninating feature is really cool! I know, not a criterion for a kitchen item, but trust me it...
Published on 24 Dec. 2009 by Aristi Emmanouilidou

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed beauty
It's a rather expensive kettle, this. You can certainly buy a jug which you plug into the wall and which boils 1.7 litres of water for a much cheaper price than this. So, let there be no doubt about it, you are paying for its looks. So, do they justify the price?

Yes, and no. While it's cooking up, it is wonderful to behold. Within seconds of switching it...
Published on 1 Mar. 2010 by P. G. Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cherenkov light in a kettle!, 5 Jan. 2010
Joakim Thulin (Uppsala, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 15082 1.7 L Blue Illuminating Glass Kettle (Kitchen & Home)
First this: -Amazing to have something that looks like the beautiful blue Cherenkov light in a kitchen! In Sweden we usually have 10 A fuses for ordinary appliances, so I had to have an electrician come over and upgrade the fuse to 13 A for this 3 kW monster to work. After replacing the British plug I finally got the kettle into action and it works wonderful. It is fast and beautiful to look at, it is easy to pour from and easy to fill with cold water. The only thing that worries me is the thin and fragile-looking power switch.

1.0 out of 5 stars What no lid, 1 April 2011
The kettle was good and we were satisfied with it until, after about six months use the lid fell off.
The lid bracket has two thin plastic arms which are very flimsy but our kettle has never been mis used.
We now have the joy of trying to get the Manufacturer to replace it. If we had bought it elsewhere.........

2.0 out of 5 stars Was a very good kettle for about 2months, 26 Jan. 2010
M. White "Nano junky" (UK) - See all my reviews
Update:26th May 2011
I have now given up. Having patched and repaired this kettle it has finally gone to the dump as I got sick of the lid falling apart. The plastic that has been used for the lid is just wrong as it is too brittle and when the lid does break you cannot fill the kettle through the spout so it really is useless at that point. For the money I would have expected this kettle to last. Off the back of my experience I have now gone for a stainless steel kettle and one not made by Russell Hobbs.I will leave the original review and updates so people can follow the thread. Would I ever buy this kettle again? No and if I got one for free I would sell it on Ebay and get something else

Update to review below: this is a good kettle, fast boiling, great looking and holds a lot of water. I have had problems with the lid and that is my biggest gripe. After about 6 months the lid started to jam. For anyone else who has this problem here is how to fix it.

Lid fix for kettle: there are four screws that hold the lid on anode they were on the under side of the lid. Undo these screws and take the lid off to reveal the mechanism inside. It is likely youR problem is scale around the mechanism making it too stiff
For the action to work. Take the mechanism apart (it is held together by the force of the spring). Next coat the whole mechanism in Vaseline using a small brush and put it back together. Then also coat the edges of the lid in Vaseline to ensure a seal when you put it back together. Once done screw the lid back together and smooth the Vaseline around the join. This will stop water vapour getting into the mechanism again and even if it does the vaseline on the mechanism will stop it. Remember Vaseline was originally developed as a food spread during the second world war so do not worry about using it on the kettle.

Original review:
This is a very good kettle. I have to admit I didn't order it from Amazon in the end as I didn't fancy waiting 2 weeks for it. The kettle is of very good build quality. While I normally steer clear of lids with opening mechanisms on inspection this one is suitably sturdy.
It is a very nice looking kettle and personally I like the blue LEDs (they haven't lost their novelty yet). It is fast to boil and will boil water for 2 people in 1min 45secs (I know I need to get a life). With a 1.7 L capacity it will hold more than enough for most needs. I luckily live in a softer water area and would possibly not have considered a glass kettle if we had hard water due to the fact I would spend my life de-scaling it or having it look unsightly. Our last kettle was also Russell Hobbs (more by chance than a conscious selection) and it lasted 10 yrs before breaking and I see no reason that this one should be any different. All in, I would recommend this kettle.

2.0 out of 5 stars A sticky subject, 9 Mar. 2012
M. Harrison "Hamish" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
No doubt you are familiar with the term `built-in obsolescence'?

Well, the obsolescence of this particular kettle was, with exquisite timing, built-in to occur precisely one day after its 12 months guarantee expired.

That was the moment it chose to reveal to me the simple but brilliantly disabling tendency - identified by other reviewers - for its lid mechanism to seize up.

Grateful for the assistance provided by my fellow reviewers, I got to work with my screwdriver, descaling liquid and vegetable oil - things which I had never previously regarded as routinely necessary to apply to a kettle lid 366 days after purchase.

The fix worked. For about a month. At that point the lid mechanism on my kitchen bin, which has worked flawlessly for ten years now, came into its own.

The kettle I bought in replacement has a slightly sticky lid mechanism too; but it also has a two year guarantee. Which, by my calculation (and this being a leap-year) at least gives me 732 days before I have to get to work again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lid jammed solid after 18 months, 15 May 2013
Dear Russell Hobbs,
It is very clever of you to produce an expensive kettle engineered to fail at or around the 18 month mark which is what happened to ours as well as many others.
Maybe you hope I will buy another? Well no. I, my family, my neighbours, my colleagues, will never buy another kettle or any other product made by Russell Hobbs unless you admit your fault, re-engineer the handle, replace mine with the new product that does not have this design flaw, stop marketing this current kettle. Show that you care what your customers think.
Mike S

1.0 out of 5 stars Lid design is faulty, 11 May 2011
Like other reviewers, the lid of my kettle also failed after 4 months and now won't open without brute force so I will be returning this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs Illuminating kettle, 8 Jan. 2012
Kettle looks great with the glass body, illuminating base and brushed stainless steel trim. Some kettles (including some that look like stainless steel) actually have plastic liners that can affect the taste - this kettle is only glass with a stainlness steel heating base which means the taste in unaffected. I have had the kettle for just over a year and has worked well, but like a few other reviews the lid release became very stiff and difficult to open (you have to push a button to release the lid for filling) - to fix this problem all I did was remove 4 screws on the bottom of the lid which exposes a simple mechanism which needs lubricating (I did this with some vaseline - dont use oil as this may drip into the kettle!). Has worked fine ever since (about a month now). 4 stars for this would have been 5 with a more reliable lid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs - Blue Illuminating Glass Kettle with brushed Stainless Steel trim, 3 July 2011
I have been using this kettle for a little over a month now and it is a very tasteful addition to my kitchen blending in with the other stainless steel elements of the kitchen. Once switched on the blue LED lights are illuminated which surround the covered heating element base, the 3000kw power brings a full kettle 1.7 litres to the boil and automatic switch off in about 5 minutes, although I rarely boil a kettle full of water at any time, boiling times are therefore reduced and energy saved. It has useful markings on the side for measuring the number cup fulls in the kettle for 2, 4, 6, and 1,7 or full (approx. 7-8 Cups). When the water comes to the boil it dances a fine jig in the kettle which is quite entertaining, as the light of the blue LEDs plays and reflects off the churning bubbling water.
The purchase of this kettle was prompted by the large amount of lime in the area I live, to aid me monitor the build-up of scale better. I have cleaned the scale out once a week with a citrus acid descaling product which brings the kettle back to an as new look once the kettle has boiled.

Technical suggestion (Kitchen safety)

I have written to the manufacture with a suggestion that multi coloured LEDs be used in the next generation of this kettle. The LEDs should change colour with the increase or decrease in temperature of the water for example;
Blue = 0-10deg C. Amber = 11-37deg C. RED = 38-100deg C.
In addition to this the LEDs should remain illuminated once the kettle has boiled, until the contents have returned to the room ambient temperature for 3 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, so far........., 18 Nov. 2010
Mrs. Charlotte L. Grice (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
After reading the reviews I must admit I didnt know what to expect. Saying that, I read reviews for probably every make & model of kettle in the western world and therefore you just have to go with what looks nice and decent value for money - which this kettle seems to be. Bearing in mind my new kettle is only 2 days old, so far so good. It looks fab, love the blue lights and cant fault it (yet)... I cannot understand at all how some people have found it too noisy, what are you people expecting? and why oh why even waste your time commenting on how it produces condensation after boiling - ITS GLASS!!!! I will, however, be keeping an eye on how long it takes for the lid to jam and how often we have to descale it (we live in a soft water area so hopefully not too often). For the money, I say go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast boil, 24 Jan. 2010
M. Snaddon - See all my reviews
Very fast boiling kettle. this is the second glass kettle I have had, easy to see how much water and fun to see the water boil, blue light makes it fun too. Not the best pouring spout and the lid would be better if it opened a little more for filling. Still love it though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›