5.0 out of 5 stars It's on TWO disks, 1080i, DTS-HD
I just wanted to point out that this set is on two disks, and not on one as Amazon states.
I've tried to use their method of "updating product info", but I got a rejection email back.

Basically, after watching the first three episodes on BBC-HD, I decided I wanted to buy it.
I came along to Amazon, and noticed that it says all 6 episodes (and...
Published on 13 Nov 2009 by Vin

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting? Not really.
I thought this would be more interesting than it is. Stephen Fry might be great with his gallivanting around the world in his cars. As for this, three stars is the maximum, I'm afraid.
Published 3 months ago by Keith R. Sauerwald

5.0 out of 5 stars It's on TWO disks, 1080i, DTS-HD, 13 Nov 2009
Vin (UK, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance To See with Stephen Fry and Mark Carwardine [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)

I came along to Amazon, and noticed that it says all 6 episodes (and therefore approx 6 hours) is squeezed onto one single bluray disk.

Pathetic I thought, I'm not buying that, the quality will be severely compromised.

A few days later, I came across the set at another online store, and it stated 2 disks.
I ordered it, it IS on two disks, and can confirm that it does have a nice high bitrate.

Audio is LCPM Stereo or DTS-HD 5.0. (5.0 comes from the box, my equipment only reports it as multi-channel DTS-HD)

The picture is 1080i, the same as when it aired on BBCHD. It looks fantastic.

So far I've only watched episode 4, and I was concerned initially, as I noticed what looked like video noise in the sky, at the beginning, when Stephen and Mark are on the boat, but after that, it looked flawless, indeed beautiful.
VBR bitrate jumps up to the 30s when required.

I'm very happy with it.

I just wanted to confirm to anybody else who's interested, that this set is a two disk set, with 3 eps per disk, so the quality isn't compromised by squeezing it all onto one bluray.

Maybe when we get quad layer disks would that be acceptable! :)

Enjoy the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Few hours of pleasure, 24 Nov 2009
Ivano Dones - See all my reviews
This is actually a brilliant documentary over one of the major plagues of this planet. It is shot and treated with the usual outstanding british humor where even small ongoing accidents to the staff create a funny show. At the end you feel delighted by the professional shooting by BBC but you also feel that one of the endangered species on the planet are great people like Stephen Fry and his band.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I had seen them all!, 3 Jan 2010
PJ Merchant (UK) - See all my reviews
If you think you have seen all animal documentaries, watch this! I loved the book by Mark and Douglas as it blends scientific knowledge with a fantastic sense of humour! I laughed tears of joy as well as sadness when I read about the incredible creatures that roam our world and are almost extinct because of our selfish way of life. When I saw that Mark produced this film with Stephen, I was not quite sure if I would enjoy it as much as the book, as I loved Douglas Adams. However, I am very pleased that Stephen and Mark managed to pull it off. When they both revisit the places that Mark and Douglas had been to before, it is good to see that some of the protection projects have succeeded but it is also very depressing to see how our human race still destroys habitats and therefore threatens entire eco-systems. I have bought this DVD for friends and family and will use it also in my lessons to teach my children not to repeat the mistakes that my generation has made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 15 Jan 2010
M. Barry "mikebarry_uk" (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
Looks great on Blu-Ray. This is 1080i, not 1080p like most Blu-Rays, possibly a limitation of the cameras used.

The reviewer above states this looks as good as on BBC HD. Well it looks much better, the BBC HD channel runs at a far lower birate than a Blu-Ray and you can tell from the very first shot on this disc. It looks far better to me than it did on the BBC HD channel. In addition the sound quality is better. You won't be dissapointed.

Order the book while you're here too, Mark's photography is stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight to watch! Stephen Fry is a genius!, 5 Jan 2011
A wonderful series taking place in the Amazon, Southern Africa, Madagascar, Indonesia, New Zealand and the Pacific. Beautiful locations, and the animals they visit are simply amazing.

The Kakapo parrot is one of the cutest things i've ever seen, and when it shagged Mark I laughed my heart out - Hilarious!

Stephen Fry asks the right questions, nothing is left unanswered, and he manages to carry the whole series by adding a perfectly balanced sense of both adventure and humor.

Furthermore this exellent series looks absolutely stunning in High-def! No complaints regarding picture quality - it's perfect.

I genuinely consider this nature documentary as one of the jewels of my Blu-Ray collection and I would like to praise BBC for this amazing achievement!
5/5 - No doubt!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very very enjoyable 6 hours!!, 26 Jan 2010
Mark Carwardine, a thoroughly amiable naturalists, teamed up with the " 2nd Greatest Living Englishman" Mr Stephen Fry (sorry but David A gets the award!), makes a great TV series and fine blu-ray experience. I do not know if it is 1080i or p, but who cares when it looks this fabulous on my 50 inch Panasonic Plasma. The footage of the helicopter flight over the mountains of New Zealand, was simply stunning.

The real pleasure was seeing Fry, a man in love with his 3 i-phones, nespresso coffee machine, macbook pro and wi-fi, become genuinely touched by experiencing the wonder that is wildlife. His "almost in tears" viewing of mountain gorillas, made my girlfriend ask if we can go next year - yes indeed, a big thank you to Mr Fry.
Get the blu-ray, buy the book and hope they repeat this fine series in twenty years time and find these marvelous creatures still holding on!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting? Not really., 28 Dec 2013
Keith R. Sauerwald "Aves Para Siempre." (Darwin, AUSTRALIA.) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up, 12 Sep 2010
Sometimes humanity requires a kick in the bum to appreciate what this planet currently has, and what we risk losing. This is such a kick. Statistics about animals at risk don't grab you by the throat, but by actually focusing on specific species, this series brings it home. It's an excellent series, combining Fry's amateur enthusiasm with the expert eye of Carwardine. It's not unlike a soap opera, in that it can bring you down with the depressing situations, and then be uplifting with the (all too few) successes. Great camera work, sound and direction. I love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rare Animals compete with home comforts, 3 Feb 2010
From watching this you get the impression that Stephen is every so slightly tech addicted in one scene he prduces five mobile phones from his luggage. Sadly a couple of the species they aimed to revisit from the trip Douglas Adams made are now declared extinct. Stephen is to a degree an unlikely explorer in the first episode he manages to break his arm in two places but he carries on with the series albiet containing a bit more metal. The program shows not just the animals featured but also shows them in the context of the people around them and conservation efforts. I would like to see more animals covered in another series armchair explorer tv. It does make you want to go and support conservation one man on his own in the program managed to save an entire species so one person can make a difference!

ARRAY(0xb6500e70)