Price:£10.57+ Free shipping

on 29 November 2009
I'm a "silver" gamer (age-wise) so this game's hip-hop, rap, gang warfare and 'gangsta' culture is a bit out of my usual line of interests as RPG player.

Many people have compared GTAIV with Saints Row 2 (SR2). I do have and enjoy GTAIV, and I am sure enough has been said on the quality and content of that game.

SR2 I agree has a similar structure but excels in irreverence, humour, lunacy and great action which combine to make it a very different game, and one I find great fun to play. Oddly, graphics vary from very good to rather PS2 level, but after I while I tend not to notice. However during the FMV movie sequences your created character remains in the looks and clothes you give him (and the weather / surroundings also maintain continuity). Many games do not achieve this and I really like that touch.

Apart from some niggles and frustrations, I find game play fun and the AI of non-playing citizens of Stilwater provide many chuckles. For instance I paused to watch a fire-eating juggler perform (a bit surprised to find this in a game) only for a passer-by to catch alight, scream, run into my character setting him on fire too. All sorts of little surprises like this pop up.

AI can also be dumb, like a shoot out at five paces with machine pistols. It takes a few thousand point-blank rounds to persuade the target he is supposed to be dead!

There are an immense range of motors from sludge lorries to motorbikes, missile-equipped helicopters, jet skis, etc. Powerboating at speed with SR2 presenting stunning views of sunset over Stilwater (graphics were spot on, there) took me right back to Miami Vice days (and the nearest I'll ever get to owning a powerboat).

I do get frustrated over driving - vehicle steering is just awkward on the PS3 and it really should be better. Maybe THQ could patch this? There are a number of glitches - finding one person half buried in a mall pavement but yelling on a mobile was weird. I also find the character creation wardrobe element buggy and prone to crashes. Save regularly. These reduce my overall star rating.

I rarely do on-line multiplay so I can't comment on that. This is not a game for youngsters - the language is strong and there is a great deal of violence. Stick to the age limit please.

I bought this because other reviewers highlighted the irreverent fun of it. They were right and I am really enjoying SR2 and even its 'gangsta' theme. I am now anticipating SR3...

UPDATE: One year on, storyline well completed. I'm still pottering around Stilwater finding new things, acquiring cars, boats and planes, customising things and my character, and having a great time. This game is a gem.
on 1 June 2012
So many different things to do, you can play for hours and it is really fun. I think the graphics make it more enjoyable than GTA as you can see the roads and junctions clearly. Looking forward to playing number 3!
on 30 July 2011
This is a brilliant game, I love sandbox (open world) games and this one is no different. If you liked any GTA game you will most likely like this game.

A lot of people compare this game to GTAIV, I would disagree and compare it more with GTA San Andreas (which is my favourite GTA). I believe this game has gone further than SA in many ways, with the grittiness of the storyline and the gang life to the funny side of things (which at times is just crazy, over-the-top humour.

There is a great deal of customising in this game, the creators really wanted you to feel like you could be whoever you want to be while playing (eg you can play as a naked man with a woman's voice, or just a gangster looking person... whatever you want really)

There are a number of bugs in this game but I think they are all very forgiveable for a game of this size and I don't think they hinder your ability to play the game and have lots of fun while doing so!

I felt that GTAIV brought a lot of realism to the game which was good and bad at the same time because the game lost a lot of the fun aspects that san andreas had. I feel that Saints Row 2 has brought that fun back into the game, while having decent graphics to go along with it. After completing GTAIV I felt like there wasn't much left to do, but with Saints Row there's always something fun to do (like fly planes, blow up trains, discover secret nuclear bases :)) I can't wait for SR3 :)
on 4 March 2010
Firstly let's get this out of the way. It ain't as good as GTA, but it doesn't try to be.
Comparisons are bound to happen due to the nature of the game, sandbox with lots of car theft, shooting and other criminal activities. However, this game is not trying to emulate GTA, it's got its own way of looking at things and soon as you can accept that, this game becomes FUN.
OK, the graphics ain't that good, the sound track is more than a bit ropey and sometimes the camera work can be a bit of a pain, but all in all, if you like this type of game you should probably get it, if you do and you can ignore the bugs I can guarantee you WILL enjoy it.
on 18 May 2013
i like it so much.
it's fantastic!
thanks saints row 2- platinum edition
I am addicted to this game and scarcely I sleep hehe
on 2 July 2012
Saint's Row 2 - it's not GTA, but if you're looking for some irreverent fun this game is for you. Fully customisable character is good.
on 24 December 2012
Se volete spendere poco e dovete fare un regalo è un buon acquisto, altrimenti lasciate perdere ora c'è di meglio.
on 27 February 2013
i choose this rating because i like this game.
i like this game very much.
I picked myself this game
on 4 January 2012
my son loves this game! he plays all modes but prefers online with his friends. prefers it to the gta series
on 11 April 2013
The package has arrived on time and with quality. Both boxes were in good shape and my son love it.