1,248

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 February 2011
This review is to help anybody who, like me, is new to the wide variety of cables and ways of linking up electronic equipment. I wanted to connect a 2 Core Duo iMac to a Sony Bravia TV in order to stream films from LoveFilm or watch programmes using the BBC's iPlayer. Below I describe how, with the help of NEET technical services I managed to achieve my goal.

(1) I plugged in the Mini Display Port to HDMI Adaptor into the iMac; attached an HDMI cable and plugged the other end into an HDMI socket on the Sony TV, but could only get the background screen of the TV and not anything playing: solved this by going into the iMac's System Preferences and opening Displays and turning on Screen mirroring. This got me what was playing on the screen, but not the sound.

(2) I tried plugging in an audio cable into the iMac's headphone socket. That didn't work. I then thought that I needed the more expensive Mini Display Port to HDMI Adaptor Mini DisplayPort + TOSLINK Digital Audio to HDMI (v1.3b) adapter cable by Neet® - ( for Unibody MacBook - Pro - iMac etc. ), but first contacted NEET technical services on-line. They were very helpful and checked the manufacturing date of my iMac. Apparently those produced before April 2010 need the more expensive adaptor, but mine fell into the more recent batch and should work with the one I'm reviewing. Neet tipped me off that I needed to enable the adaptor before the audio part would work. So I went into the iMac's System Preferences and opened Sound and hey presto 'Sony TV" was listed. Note, though, you have to have the Adaptor and HDMI cable plugged in at both ends and the TV on.
Thank you NEET technical services!
1515 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2011
Ok, so I noticed that a couple comments have been left saying there is no sound when connecting to a TV.

I had the same problem when I connected and could not find any help online, but got the solution from Apple Care, it's pretty straight forward.

Go to System Preferences > Sound > Output > Change output device to the TV it is connected to (eg SONY).

That's it, but you have to change it everytime you plug you MacBook Pro into the TV.
33 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2011
I bought this cable as a means of connecting my Mac Book to my TV in order to watch movies stored on my computer on my TV and it works perfectly. Before I purchased the lead I was researching what exactly I needed and saw that a lot of people were stating that I needed to get a Mini Display to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable and another cable for the sound. Although this will probably work it is unnecessary as this cable has a Mini Display Port on one end and a HDMI port on the other and it transfers picture and sound eliminating the need for adaptors or separate sound cables!
on 17 May 2011
Great item, well made and well packaged - plastic covers on the metal connectors at either end.

Within 5 mins of plugging the cable in and googling I had my Mac on my Sony tv with display and audio.

On the Mac just make sure that you display displays on the menu bar and then plug in to tv and from the displays menu bar choices make sure you choose mirror so you can have the screen on both Mac and Tv. All that's left is Sound, just open the Sound preferences and just choose your tv under the Output area.
on 25 April 2012
Setup: Mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro, various TV sets.

Price: 4 stars.
Delivery: 5 stars.
Quality: 4 stars.

Experience:

I purchased this Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for my 15" Macbook Pro back in March 2010. It's fared well since I've had it, with only a few instances where the signal would cut out and re-established itself, but 2 years down the line it stopped functioning altogether. This review was originally fair but slightly negative, where I expressed my disappointment with the product. However, a few weeks after writing my review Sean from Neet® commented (see below) and said as they have sold 30,000 of these items with very few being faulty it wouldn't be a problem to arrange a replacement to be sent to me. And what do you know? A new one arrived in this morning's post, only a day after I'd contacted Neet® by email with my details! I'm extremely impressed, and the new one works absolutely fine. As my title says, great customer service makes all the difference.

Overall rating: 4 stars.

(Review updated 01/06/2012).
on 6 November 2012
I purchased one of these in Jan of 2011 and it worked flawlessly until Nov of 2012 prior to a presentation that unfortunately had to be done without projection. Whilst looking for a replacement I noticed that the Amazon description mentioned a 'lifetime warranty' so I emailed Neet Cables on Sunday. Within hours on the Sunday I received a courteous reply that they rarely have any issues with this product and would gladly replace the cable. I received the replacement in the Tuesday morning post, connected it to the projector and problem solved it displayed as expected.

Rarely do you encounter this sort of customer support nowadays and when you do it is gratifying to be able to bring it the attention of any prospective customers as a reassuring and important aspect that can be considered in the purchasing decision. I am one very satisfied customer, thank you Danny and Neet Cables.

Additional comment
I have just seen amongst the other reviews one from Henry Trull in America who received the same response as myself. If you need any more proof of their dedication to excellent customer support see his review also.
on 16 August 2011
joust bought a brand new macbook pro 13" last saturday and ordered this cable the day before, it arrived in the post next morning so already to go when i returned, it works a treat seriously almost plug and play, plugged one end to the thunderbolt and the other to HDMI socket on tv, screen flashed blue and then the galaxy display of the desktop (as it is on lion) couldn't see any icons at the bottom so go

System preferences>Displays>Detect Displays> it should open a window with the name of your TV, select mirror display and it showed the dock also,

at first the sound was only coming out of the macbook so again system preferences>Sound>Output again it should list your TV, click on it and hey presto!

Very easy to set up, very happy
on 8 March 2010
If you've got a current Apple portable and you want to be able to connect it to either a VGA (PC) monitor or a video projector, the chances are you're going to need a VGA adapter to convert from the laptop's Mini DisplayPort to the old VGA "DB15" analogue standard. Apple do sell their own adapter but it costs more than the Neet one.
As virtually everyone else who's bought a Neet product has written, this is a high quality, value-for-money product, delivered efficiently. Even the packaging looks comparable to what you'd get in an Apple Store. Really, the only difference is that the Neet adapter is light grey whereas the Apple one is white. If, like me, you're living in western Europe rather than the UK, Neet don't even charge anything extra for delivery, which is pretty unique.
Again, as other reviewers have mentioned, in the event that you need to contact them, Neet have friendly and responsive customer support.
I'm an IT professional and so it would appear are the Neet guys. Clueless, fly-by-night box-shifters they are not. 10 out of 10.
on 19 March 2016
With my MacBook Pro 2011 laptop not having a HDMI port as standard, I looked for an adapter to use in the thunderbolt port to covert to HDMI
The mini display port is a small and useful alternative to allow you to connect your laptop to your TV with ease. It is light and small to transport around with you. However after searching on the internet, I found a cable that connects my laptop to the HDMI port on the TV direct from my thunderbolt port without the need of this small adapter. This saves me space as I don't need an adapter plus a normal HDMI wire on top. But if your looking for something small to carry around where someone already has an HDMI cable provided, this is a good solution.
on 27 March 2011
I can confirm that this DP to HDMI adapter works with the 2011 model of MacBook's with Thunderbolt.
And yes, it does also support audio through HDMI too.

Great little adapter and half the price...is what I would be saying if Apple actually made a HDMI adapter...
But still, great little thing. Feels a little hollow and plasticly if you know what I mean, the Apple adapters feel more study but I have no reason to say this wont last you a long, long time.

Tested with a 2011 17" MBP with Thunderbolt.

Hope this helps some of you out there who were wondering.