5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL VIEWING FOR A COLD IRISH WINTER
This is a brilliant DVD, tackling a very serious and sad subject with a great deal of humour. Each episode tells the story of a species which is currently at the edge of extinction.

Published on 23 Nov. 2009 by Iorras

3.0 out of 5 stars this was supposed to be a two dvds disc. ...
this was supposed to be a two dvds disc.i ordered it twice and both times it came with only one dvd.
Published 1 month ago by DAVID HUGHES

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL VIEWING FOR A COLD IRISH WINTER, 23 Nov. 2009
Iorras (Mayo Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)

Whether or not the featured species can regenerate (when man no longer seeks them for personal adornment or other (ab)use), this film documents excellently the situation pertaining in the first decade of the 21st century.

How sad that the male kakapo spends forever preparing a suitable nesting site and nightly, for many months carries out a mating dance to attract a female partner who, because of the state of numbers of the species, is highly unlikely to ever appear. However, a hand reared male kakapo decides that Mark Carwardine is his ideal mate and proceeds to "mate" with his head, unfortunately for Mark, a bit roughly! Stephen Fry finds the situation completely hilarious and teases Mark endlessly about when he is due to lay kakapo eggs. You have to laugh with him and the series is filmed in such a way that the viewer feels very involved with the action. Harry Hill also had fun with this particular episode in his Saturday night TV Burps!!

The animals featured in these episodes are all now under strict protection from conservationists. How many more species, not as large or as attractive, simply disappear without anybody noticing? If man keeps on its crash course of greed and unsustainability, man could very well be the next endangered species. Hopefully man won't take all these species with him on the way.

As well as the funny Fry we all know and love, Stephen Fry shows compassion, understanding and love for each species investigated in this series in a humourous and yet deadly serious way and for that we must thank him and love him. Thank you Stephen and Mark for this wonderful series. If you buy these two DVD's (which are excellent value for money as they are packed full with 375 minutes worth of filming) you won't regret it or get fed up with viewing them. These DVD's will be viewed regularly as they have very wide appeal to everybody from infants to grannies.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYONE SHOULD OWN THIS!!! *****, 18 Aug. 2009
L. Carter "Lian Carter" (South Wales - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I have been lucky enough to see a preview episode of this series and I cant recommend it enough! The, what some may say strange, pairing of Stephen Fry and Mark Carwardine works phenomenally well and this series is bound to be a hit! Its funny, educational and uplifting. Albeit it sad at times when you think of the damage humans inflict on our worlds most fantastic animals and birds.
All I can say is buy the book, buy the DVD set and then start buying the back catalogue of Carwardines other books - the man is an inspiration.
Five Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A program that helps to save another endangered species : the high quality tv series, 29 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
20 years ago Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine produced a radio series and then a book of the same title in which they travelled the globe reporting on the precarious condition of some of the world's most endangered species. I didn't hear the radio show, but the book was one of Adams's finest, being both sobering and funny at the same time. Now a new sequel tv series re-visits the subject reporting on new endangered species as well as picking up the story of some of those that were reported on last time. This time Stephen Fry takes over the Adams role to accompany Mark.

This series is a worthwhile addition to the previous one and it works whether you are familiar with its legacy or not. What is most surprising is that I enjoyed it even though I'm not a fan of Fry's work, whether it be on quiz shows, sitcoms, travelogues or books. In fact I approached the series with some trepidation, wanting to watch because I was interested in the subject, but assuming his style of humour would detract rather than, as Adams had done, add to the enjoyment.

As it turns out Fry does all the things that irritate me (although of course many others love his style). He appears in the centre of the screen more times than the actual animals I wanted to see, as well as dragging humour out of situations with clever word play in a way that, to me anyhow, feels forced. But with Mark he has the easy camaraderie of a genuine friendship and the issues presented are just too important for them and for us. So together they provide an effective look at the side of wildlife that we don't often see on Nature shows as they visit the far-flung corners of the world and witness the cutting edge of our big ecological battles.

Again and again it's the subject of Mankind and our impact on the world that is displayed in different and thought-provoking ways and the victims are always the ones who are least able to do anything about it. Despite the humorous angle, this is a saddening, but ultimately rewarding series. I just hope some of the featured animals are here in twenty years to be reported on again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal. Please, please watch this., 29 Dec. 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I was lucky enough to receive the blu-ray 2-disc version of this series for Christmas and my partner and I have devoured it within a matter of days. It is utterly magnificent television and a real eye-opener of the natural world, drawing you completely into what is going on.

Presented by the witty Stephen Fry and superbly knowledgeable zoologist Mark Cawardine, the DVD traces a journey made by Cawardine and the now sadly deceased author Douglas Adams twenty years ago, looking at animals then on the verge of extinction and how they are now faring. Despite the serious overtones of the show, it does have its humorous bits too- particularly Cawardine's up close and personal encounter with a Kakapo!

Divided into six episodes, the 375 minute long DVDs look at the following: the Amazonian Manatee, the Northern White Rhino, The Aye-Aye, the Komodo Dragon, the Kakapo and the Blue Whale. There are also special accompanying bonus features on both DVDs.

The cinematography is beautiful- on a par with Life and Planet Earth, most definitely. It had me spellbound throughout- particularly the magnificent scenery shots and the close-ups of the grey whales. The narration from Fry is witty and Cawardine's knowledge is fascinating without being preachy. The first time Fry catches sight of a blue whale you really do feel his awe and like you are there with them. It is just such a shame that Douglas Adams never got the opportunity to retrace his journey for himself which makes it all the more bittersweet. It really does make you think about animal conservation and I would not hesitate in recommending this programme to anyone.

As an aside, we are now looking into the (rather expensive!) possibility of visiting Baja (featured in this DVD) in 2013 for the opportunity to try and spot blue whales in the wild ourselves. I really cannot recommend this thought-provoking DVD highly enough if you have an interest in animals and the natural world.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY FANTASTIC, 13 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I watched the television series with great joy. I usually do not like wild life programmes, but this was above and beyond anything I have ever seen.
The book is fantastic. I never thought I would read a wildlife book, but my Son brought me this for Christmas and I can not put it down. It is a true delight. Mark Carwardine has a way of making you feel that you are there with them, he explains things in easy to read and funny ways. The comments he writes about Stephen Fry and comments made during the filming are laugh out loud funny. The photographs are wonderful. The way he explains animals, and their sad demise is truly touching and in his words you can feel his passion for what he does. He draws you into the world they are experiencing and seeing, you are transported there with them.
The book is fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It is a joy to read.
I also have the DVD which is also outstanding and both have given my a passion for endangered species that I never even knew existed. Read it and enjoy! Best book I have read for a very long time, I even find myself quoting bits from the book to family and friends. I have even purchased it as gifts for other people who I know would enjoy it. You will not be disappointed with this book in anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, entertaining, educational., 28 Dec. 2009
Martin Belcher (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I loved this series when I first saw it on BBC TWO and I made some hints that I would love the DVD for Christmas, luckily Santa reciprocated and I am now very happy!

The pairing of Mark Carwardine and Stephen Fry at first seems odd but they are just perfect together and the banter and laughs continue right through the six episodes. Of course the most important part of these documentaries are the endangered animals and we get some amazing close ups and encounters along the way with a few added additional animals local to the environment.

There are many "stand out" moments which are too numerous to mention. My particular favourite of the six is the Kakapo in New Zealand; an incredible animal. I only hope that this TV series and book encourages more people to embrace our endangered species on this planet of ours, because once their gone, thats it.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect viewing, 21 Mar. 2010
Gregory J. Willis (Istanbul) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
For me this series is perfect viewing - informative, entertaining, beautiful, and with a serious message. Each episode focuses on a particular endangered animal, but Mark and Stephen take us on a tour of the environment and related animals and issues leading up to it. The pairing of Mark and Stephen works really well, their enthusiasm infectious as they follow the trail of some of the rarest animals in the world, with Mark providing interesting detail and the sad facts relating to their plight and Stephen the wide-eyed wonder as they manage to track them down in environments all over the world. It's also a beautiful series, with amazing close up shots of animals in their natural environments - the style makes you feel very close to Mark and Stephen, and highlights how close they really are to the animals. I just wish there was more like this on TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Chance to See, 25 May 2010
Lucy (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I watched this series last year on TV and really enjoyed it. Each episode left me wanting to have been there with Mark and Stephen. They visited some brilliant places, met some brilliant dedicated people along the way, saw lots of brilliant animals, and made a brilliant series and book about it so that everyone else could share it with them.

I had the book for Christmas which was just as good as watching the series. Mark Carwardine is fantastic - I would love to see him make a second series of this. As a fellow nature lover with more than a passing interesting in wildlife I could really relate to everything he said. I couldn't wait to watch the whole series again (or to re-read the book as soon as I had finished it!). I can't recommend this enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then Attenborough, 21 Aug. 2010
A. Hayman "Lexington" (God's Port, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I have recently watched every episode of this programme an I-Player and it has been a joy to watch. Absolutely brilliant. My favourite nature series ever. Stephen and Mark arr such a great pairing! I'm thinking that maybe David Attenborough should get himself a comedic apprentice. Every episode has been worth the weekly wait for the next installment. If I'm being honest, people should buy this just for the episode where Mark gets raped by Sirocco the Kakapo. This is packed full of such interesting animals, and will at times make your blood boil for the things humanity has done to the creatures of this world. The blue whale episode touched me the most. Hopefully, in twenty years time we'll have another update and we'll find said animals thriving again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I read Douglas Adams' book of this title, many years ago. The DVD is an amazingly good "follow-up". It is fascinating, sad and funny. Poor Stephen. I think,to him, staying at a 3 star hotel would be 'roughing it'. Sweating, plodding, climbing and missing out on a flush lavatory and mobile 'phone coverage plunges him into near purgatory. But he does cope quite well and very humourosly(?). Mark sails though the travails as though to the manner born, as I suspect he is. The DVD is VERY well worth watching. It would be wonderful if it had the effect of saving some endangered species.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009]
Last Chance to See [DVD] [2009] by Stephen Fry (DVD - 2009)
Used & New from: £1.03