5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance at a budget price
August PC/Laptop USB Freeview/HDTV Receiver - Silver - Vista Compatible

I bought this as a result of reading the good reviews above after having been very disappointed with a competitor's product at twice the price.

Published on 23 July 2009 by Roger

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this product!
I have digital freeview rooftop aerial that was professionally installed. This aerial works perfectly with all other tv's I use. I installed the drivers and software. Neither Windows Media Centre or the installed software would find any channels. I tried to reinstall the software but then the software crashed.
Published 2 months ago by J. Appleyard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance at a budget price, 23 July 2009
This review is from: August DVB-T205 USB Freeview Tuner Stick - External PC TV Card with Digital (DVB-T) Television Receiver and PVR Style Recorder - Wintv Dongle Supported by Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP for Desktop and Laptop Computer (Electronics)
August PC/Laptop USB Freeview/HDTV Receiver - Silver - Vista Compatible

Installed it on a Thinkpad laptop (1.8GHz)running XP with SP3 which went smoothly. However, when I tried to fire up the software I had a message "Install DirectX 9.0 or Higher" which I did. Still got the same messsage after installation (how annoying was that) so I emailed the support line. They responded quickly, and were very helpful.

Eventually, the problem turned out to be in the registry - although DirectX 9.0 had installed, the registry entry had not been rewritten (possibly a Microsoft or IBM bug).

After using Regedit to alter the entry, the TotalMedia software fired up successfully.

Using my rooftop aerial, all the stations autotuned correctly; software works really well, simple GUI, very versatile (does much more than just TV/Radio); I haven't yet tried the recording facility, but I expect all facilities to work as well as the basic functions.

For a budget price, this works "straight out of the box" if you have DirectX 9.0 installed. Even includes a remote, unlike the more expensive one I had bought previously!

4.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this one!, 30 July 2009
A really nice product for the price, fairly easy to set up though the controls are not always as obvious as they might be e.g. some need to be accessed by right clicking on the video screen. If you have Vista home premium you will need to download Blaze DTV version 6 from August's web site. One downside is that the remote control does not seem to work with this version. Also you do really need to use an external aerial unless you get exceptional reception in your area. The option to record when you are away from the PC is nice with a simple one click option though unless you use the options command to set the file size you may get longer programs divided up into half hour chunks, however I found that I did lose a minute or two at the start of recording as the software took time to fire up so probably best to manually set the recording time and allow a few extra minutes at the start.

Overall, good value for money and an excellent entry level piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Dongle!, 31 Aug 2009
S. Colthart (uk) - See all my reviews
This Dongle is Fantastic! Using it with Windows 7 and Windows Media Centre. It is plug and play with Win7. The CD is an 8cm cd and doesn't fit in my laptops slot-load drive so hasn't even been out the sleeve. The small aerial supplied works great if you are outside. I use it to watch TV on my laptop in the car. Picture quality is flawless and using media centre it records great, timeshifts and it automatically records what you are watching so you can rewind it if you miss it or forget to pause it when the door goes. This is probably because of the media centre software but it all works great because of this great dongle.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to use it outside or in the car or a caravan with the portable aerial. Or for use indoors its great as long as you have a roof/loft aerial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved Loads of Money, 7 Jan 2010
ash-uk (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this product because my stand alone DVD Recorder gave up on me. The product worked straight out of the box on my machine (running Windows Vista) with all digital channels loading successfully when plugged into a roof aerial.

The product comes with its own ArcSoft software to watch & record the tv & radio stations. You can also use Windows Media Center (provided with some editions of Vista e.g. Home Premium). ArcSoft has a handy Scheduler to record days ahead and will also burn to DVD from your hard drive.

Note: Arcsoft will record in MPEG format whereas Windows Media Center will record in DVR-MS format so beware if you want to edit recorded material - most video & audio editors will handle MPEG but you will need a special software decoder to handle Micro$oft's own DVR-MS encryption.

Conclusion: Great product for the money. You will pay many times more than this for a stand alone Freeview Box + Hard Drive + DVDR so buying this and using the resources of your laptop or desktop PC makes perfect sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with external aerial and 32 bit Vista, 29 Aug 2009
Having read many reviews for various different USB freeview TV receivers I decided to opt for this model as, in addition to saying it runs with Vista it also indicates compatibility with Windows 7 (which I may upgrade to in the future).

I live in a reasonable reception area for freeview in Surrey, but decided not to rely on the internal aerial as I felt it would probably not be adequate for the task. The instructions recommend first channel installation is carried out using a rooftop aerial, and also not to rely on the internal aerial in poorer freeview areas. The instructions also advise that once channels have been found using a stronger signal, it may be possible to locate them with the internal aerial by repositioning it. As my pc is close to a tv aerial socket, I have not investigated this further.

Installation was easy, using the provided disc. I am running 32 bit Vista and the driver and software installation produced no errors. On running the software, with the rooftop aerial plugged in, the tuner found all the tv and radio channels that I have available on my digital tv. The software also allows for live pause/record, etc, provided your pc is of a high specification.

In conclusion, I have found the August DVB-T205 USB Freeview tv receiver to be a compact and reasonably priced solution to adding digital tv to my desktop pc, with easy to use software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with roof top aerial...., 11 Aug 2009
M HALL (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've had some bad experiences with "proper" Freeview STBs in the past, so I just put it down to a bad aerial as the postcode checker always said I should receive ALL channels...I could never get any with the boxes I tried.

It's amazing a device that is about 1/20th the size of a freeview box that requires no power can pull in over 60 channels, all that I should receive using the same aerial as I did with the failed STBs. So I'm happy.

The software works well as well, and has a pleasing interface - I expected it to be pretty poor - but to my surpise it's very easy to navigate and is capable of playing your media - music and videos etc.

The portable aerial was useless in my case, picking nothing up whatsoever but please remember (and August do state this in the manual) that Freeview in the UK is not yet running at full power, and hopefully if I still have this gadget after the switchover, I shall be able to pick something up on the dinky aerial.

The bonus of this device against the 201 model is that it has a "proper" aerial connection on the end, meaning you don't require any adapters to connect it to your existing rooftop aerial.

This is about the same price as the cheaper Freeview boxes yet it does a much better job. If you have a laptop near a aerial/TV and a spare VGA cable, then you wouldn't be restricted to your laptop's screen (obviously you need to factor in the extra electricity use (a laptop costs more to run that a freeview receiver?)when you connect them both together.

I am looking foward to trying this next year on holiday. Buy one - it's a great thing to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, better than expected., 21 Feb 2010
I was a little concerned that I would have problems having read some other reviews. I needn't have worried and I wonder what other buyers have been doing to get poor results. I wanted this to be able to watch TV while working at the computer.

The device is very small and the installation manual is actually very good for such a product. My advice - READ THE MANUAL and note what it says about aerials! This device is only going to work on a good aerial so, if your TV has problems, so will this device. I'm running Windows 7 and I did not need the supplied drivers as W7 found them automatically from the Internet and installed the divice perfectly. After installing the TotalMedia software, it took a while to tune as the tuning is very slow compared to a STB but, once done, it worked perfectly. Use the LCN option when tuning and then sort by LCN to give the same channel numbers as a STB or TV would.

Quality is excellent, even on my 1920 x 1024 monitor so I'm extremely pleased and would recommend this product to anybody. Please note: Don't buy this or any other similar device if you want TV on the move. Throw the supplied aerial away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly well., 27 May 2010
Stucumber "Stucumber" (N. Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We got this to replace the main telly (which we rarely watched live) and have been totally satisfied so far. Installation was simple and took a few minutes on Windows 7. Set up took a bit longer, as it took a while to find all the channels. The picture is as good as I could want, with usually a '5 bar' reception, which is not bad for an aerial the size of a car's, indoors, in rural Wales. The bottom sucker on the aerial comes off to expose a magnetic plate, this appears to boost the reception when attached to something metal.

Minor gripes are that the positioning of the infra-red receptor on the unit faces the wrong way if connected to a righthand USB port and the small cable that is supposed to allow you to position it anyway you want doesn't appear to work. Another is that the record facility doesn't seem to support auto-wake from hibernate and you cannot designate where you want video files to be saved.

Other than that, this is a good alternative way to watch and listen to digital television and radio.

The bundled software I haven't used a lot, mainly because apart from the television and radio, it is mostly superfluous to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Held My Breath But It Worked Beautifully, 5 Feb 2010
Read the reviews on USB TV receivers and wasn't sure if I'd be wasting my money. Honed my decision down to this item as it seemed to suit me best.
Connected it up to my laptop, used the the Total Media software and the small aerial supplied. Everything works perfectly with about 66 channels! All crystal clear. I do live in a strong signal area though and this issue is crucial to how good or bad the thing works. If you live in a bad reception location you may need to consider better aerials or other solutions until digital signals improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value TV on a laptop, 23 Oct 2009
Bought this device to provide TV on my lap-top when touring with our caravan. Results are every bit as good as our home TVs, albeit on a smaller screen. No problems to set up or to use. Have recommended it to two friends, both of whom have bought one