5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything
Published on 28 Aug 2009 by Bazza

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems receiving digital channels
Published on 19 Dec 2009 by kd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything, 28 Aug 2009
This review is from: Toshiba RD-XV59DT DVD & VHS Player with Freeview+ 250GB Hard Drive Drive - Black (Electronics)
The first recorder I received was faulty - the DVD door did not open but everything else seemed okay. I contacted Amazon that evening by email and then phoned the next morning. They were terrific and despatched a replacement straight away, paid for next day delivery, and arranged collection of the faulty one the day after that. Full marks to Amazon customer service!

The replacement device is great, it's exactly what I want - it does everything - tape - DVD - hard disk - recording and playback. So easy to use and good looking too. My wife is pleased as it's recording the whole series of Coro whilst we are on holiday - just select series. Another useful feature is that if I program a recording and it collides with an existing one it suggests a later broadcast e.g. on ITV2 and you just select that. It can all be done from the electronic program guide which is also the easiest I've used.

Get this machine and you won't be disappointed - apart from wondering to do with all the gear it replaced - and the shelf space.

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, 5 Sep 2009
Mr. Oliver C. Davey "ocd" (london) - See all my reviews
overall this does exactly what i wanted it to do:(i) record my VHS to DVD, (ii) record my home vids to DVD, (iii) record the stuff I want to keep from Virgin + box to DVD; (iv) play VHS and DVDs and i like the face you can delete the adverts out of recordings from the TV and Virgin + box. The menus take a bit of getting used to as they aren't great, but it has a good manual, so you just need to look it up! couldnt find HDMI port on the back to start with, but it is there :)

5.0 out of 5 stars andyo, 3 Oct 2009
andyo (South West England) - See all my reviews
I bought this DVD / Video / HDD recording combo because, amongst other things, I wanted to be able easily to copy and archive some old video material to digital format, and I have didn't have a (digital) DVD recorder. So far it has done this job superbly. I haven't used anything like all of its features and functions yet, as it is used in combination with a twin (digital) tuner PVR. It's being used with an analogue TV, and it's worth pointing out to potential purchasers without a digital TV that this machine has only one digital tuner - thus without having the PVR (or a digital set top box) as well, it wouldn't be possible to view one channel whilst recording another.
Also worth mentioning is I contacted Toshiba's customer support, because I couldn't intially see how to pause and record live TV, and they quickly emailed me pointing me to the relevant section of the comprehensive manual that describes how to do this. One piece of caution though - because this machine has so many functions, it may not be the most suitable for elderly relatives who are struggling to get to grips with new technology...

4.0 out of 5 stars first impressions, 31 Aug 2009
J. J. Harrison "kid spoiler" (mansfield england) - See all my reviews
found this a little difficult to operate at first but this is not the fault of the toshiba unit,more my inability to grasp new technology easily.have now mastered the basics and am well satisfied with this purchase.ican dub from h.d.to disks and can dub from vhs to h.d. and then on to disc.i can pause "live" tv and record direct to the h.d. the more i use it the easier it is becoming.the price was very reasonable as a similar product locally with only a 160g.b. hard drive would have cost me more all in all i think i made a good purchase

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Combi, 3 Sep 2009
For some time I have wanted to edit home recorded videos and copy the finished products on to DVDs. Now I have the ideal machine. The Hard Drive on the Toshiba Combi enables me to do this without hassles. The Hard Drive will hold from 53 hours to 424 hours of programmes depending on the recording mode selected. The Combi has also given me a new VCR so that I can continue to play my bought videos. The manual provided is comprehensive and helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Combi recorder, 5 Sep 2009
This Toshiba machine replaces a Sony machine which expired shortly after expiry of the guarantee, much like its predecessor. It is far easier to use, much of it intuitive, and so far has successfully recognised all DVD (standard formats)and the HDD mode is especially easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best choice I ever made., 1 Sep 2009
Graham Beeston (Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Apart from the manual which is hard going as other reviewers have pointed out the unit does everything you can want from it. I bought it to remove all the extra cabling I had between my Freeview box, DVD recorder and video recorder. I have dubbed my old holiday videos to the hard disk, edited them and then dubbed them to a DVD, all very easily. I cannot think of anything so far to say against it. Once you have read the manual from end to end (which is the only way to understand the required actions as it jumps around and gives the same information twice in different contexts) you can use it easily. My wife is certainly happy there is less cabling and only one unit to dust!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box!, 17 Dec 2009
C. Love (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this combi recorder to replace an ageing VCR machine which wasn't going to cope with the changeover to Digital TV. Connecting it up is a bit of a nightmare but the Toshiba Technical Helpline are very good and very patient - especially with those of us who are not technically minded! Be warned though - if you haven't got a 16 year old technical wizard to help you, the manual is a bit of a struggle to understand! It records onto video tape, hard drive and disc, and plays video (so you can still view all your old films, wedding videos, etc.) disc and DVD, not forgetting the excellent quality hard drive (which has a whopping 280 hour capacity). The front of the machine doesn't tell you anything unless it is switched on and/or recording/playing back; in other words, there is no clock and nothing to tell you that it has done the recordings that you have programmed it for. After a power cut, it seems to recover itself but I don't know if you loose any details of programmes that you wanted it to record - the ones already recorded seem to be safe. The power consumption is a bit high at 48w, but when in standby mode, it's a very small 0.93w.
The black coloured handset is a bit cluttered and could have been laid out in a clearer fashion and as the printing on it is grey in colour and squeezed between buttons, they are hard to read in low light levels. After a few months of use, I will hopefully know where the buttons are and won't have to try and read the text!
The only other thing I would point out to prospective purchasers is that there is only ONE digital tuner in the recorder, therefore unless your TV has its own digital tuner, you will need to keep your set top box connected otherwise you will not be able to watch one channel and record another.
Apart from the niggles above, I'm pretty much pleased with the recorder and would certainly recommend it for those people with large video collections.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reliable machine, 6 Oct 2009
Wayne Clarke "Natividaddy" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This Toshiba does all it claims without any fuss. It's my third DVD recorder and the only one I have had confidence in. It combines a good VCR and DVD with Freeview and a hard drive recorder, with easy dubbing fron one to another. It's ideal for transferring to DVD all those films you recorded off the telly and don't want to lose, and by putting them on the hard drive first, you can edit out the ads. If you haven't got a PVR already then this does the job without any fuss. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems receiving digital channels, 19 Dec 2009
Unfortunately this product could not receive all of the digital channels - a problem we have never had with any of our other TVs and digital boxes all of which use the same aerial. This was the case even though the Samsung LCD TV could pick up all of the channels when connected to the same aerial via the Toshiba box itself (ie. the Tosh plugged into the aerial and the TV aerial input plugged into the Tosh's aerial output). Thinking it was a faulty product, the first was returned. However, the replacement had the same problem.

On the bright side, Toshiba's technical call centre was very responsive, as were Amazon and their dispatch organisation... pick-up of the first and delivery of the second were painless, as was the pick-up of the second box and the refunding of the cost.