Format: DVD|Change

on 14 January 2015
LOOKING FORWARD TO WATCHING IT TONIGHT REGARDS
on 15 December 2015
Excellent Foreign language film!
on 15 May 2010
Tobruk is what we in the UK call World cinema. That is, it is not in spoken English. This could be said to be true for the film Two Smoking Barrells, depending upon which part of the UK you come from. Tobruk is a hard hitting, tightly filmed story told from the point of view of the Czech army (they were on the Allies side). Its based mainly in the desert, without any large scale military battles, with the emphasis on the cold reality that soldiers experience when faced with war. It is suitable for post watershed due to its hard hitting graphic detail. I enjoy watching subtitled and silent movies. I enjoyed watching Tobruk.
on 16 May 2015
Excellent
on 7 September 2014
EXCELLENT
on 4 March 2016
Brill
on 29 March 2010
I have lots of czech films as my wife is czech but this is by far the worst, i hoped it would be as good as dark blue world but is does not come close, buy dark blue world (tomavy modry svet) or zelary as they are much better films, Tobruk leaves you wondering what was the point of the film, it may be historically accurate but you don't connect with the characters on an individual or group basis. The scenes jump around and seem disjointed rather than flowing which leads me to loose interest. As i have said with my other reviews films are like paintings, they are a personal thing and what one likes another hates, if its a genre you like give it a try, but the other two czech films I mentioned are much better.
on 10 September 2009
This really was a VERY VERY long-winded and dull film. Clearly low-budget and using a small cast, the battle scenes were very unconvincing. Overall, the film was drawn out and, frankly, often became extremely tedious- within 30 minutes, having done my best to give the film a chance, I found myself fast-forwarding to try to find an exciting bit (which i did not manage to do). The fact that it was subtitled throughout made it even worse. The action sequences were unexciting and generally rather feeble. It certainly did not capture either the brutality of the war in the desert. The ending was very sudden- almost as if the producers had run out of cash and wanted to wrap things up in a hurry. Save your time and your money- watch Saving Private Ryan again.
on 17 October 2009
I can't believe I spent money for this DVD. Supposedly filmed as a tribute to the 11th Czechoslovak Infantry Battalion-East, it has got to be one of the lowest budget war films with the smallest cast on record. It was long, long, long winded...need to have English voice-over; but more than that, it needed a plot and more principal actors. And the ending was simply awful. Can't believe I sat through this one. Save your money.