5.0 out of 5 stars They just keep on coming!!!!!!!!
Published on 27 Dec. 2004 by David M Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
Published on 26 Mar. 2010 by Pioneer Pete

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars They just keep on coming!!!!!!!!, 27 Dec. 2004
David M Davies (Horncastle, Lincs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Anyone who likes the perfect blend of good old hard rock and your dare I say it, slower tracks will find the perfect blend with Shinedown. On first listen the first thing that slapped me about the head was the astounding vocal range of Brent smith. At times you feel he would be right at home in a band like In flames, however thankfully with this band he lets himself SING with enough aggression that the song determinds. Fans of Alterbridge,Tantric and come to think of it any good hard rock band will not be let down. Buy the cd with the extra tracks 'the sanford sessions' and you will have the acoustic track of the year 'simple man' standout tracks '45','better version'. Buy this and turn it up loud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Nickelback... But Good!, 24 Dec. 2007
Mr. M. E. Merritt "MattMerritt" (Portsmouth UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I guess I'd better start with a story. I was in Toronto in November of this year (2007), eating in the Hard Rock Cafe when a cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man started to play, I was instantly taken by the simple approach and the depth of both range and emotion in the vocals. So much so that I left my table to stare at a screen and find out who had played it. Armed with the bands name I skipped dessert and hurried off to buy myself a copy.
Back at the hotel I discovered a disc of subtle songs from a band of solid musicians and a superb singer.
I guess I'd describe the band as heavy commercial rock. Definitely informed by Grunge era bands, which is not in itself a bad thing, but also very modern with crisp and mostly simple production.
Well worth a look...

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a whisper, 4 Sept. 2009
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
Shinedown are new to me, but as soon as I heard this album I quickly purchased both of their excellent follow ups. I would reccommend this to anyone who likes a bit of good old-fashioned hard rock of the cheesy persuasion, eg Creed, Alter Bridge, Staind etc. They won't win any originality awards but they peddle their wares very convincingly and there are some absolute stunning tracks here.

Stand outs are: Burning Bright; the awesome In Memory and All I Ever Wanted and 45. For me, Simple Man sits just on the wrong side of the ballad fence. It's a quality classic cover song, sung expertly, but sounds like it's being performed on American Idol. That said, even the less great tracks are worth a spin.

A great debut that they have just recently bettered.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 26 Mar. 2010
This is my first Shinedown CD and I just feel there is something missing in the production of the tracks. All musicians and singer are excellent in their own right but they do not gel together as well as I would of liked. I am a long time Creed fan and also have discovered Alter Bridge in the last couple of years and both those bands' harmonies record or come across better. What I am talking about is the mood or momentum of each song on this CD is not being fully supported by each member. I keep feeling somebody is letting the side down as the rest of the band build either a crescendo or bridge a chorus. It is hard to pin point the problem but feel if they had sorted it then Shinedown might have already become a more renowned band. This CD does have some original ideas and some pleasant tracks but is not a collection that will go down as an epic where so many other bands have raised the bar. However, this will not put me off trying another CD of theirs as I have heard another song of theirs played on a rock station lately and definitely would give that one 5 stars. I will keep an open mind and fair judgment on their other material. Regards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 Nov. 2006
I discovered Shinedown last year whilst staying in America for the winter. I have nothing but praise for them. I saw them live in the summer and they are AMAZING! Brent Smiths vocals just get better and better. He is just as good in real life. He puts his heart and soul into every song that he sings.

45 is actually my favourite Shinedown song of all time but Simple Man is a close second. Yes, I am well aware that it is a cover of a Lynard Skynard track. I am also a fan of them and I never thought that anyone would be able to do a better version of that song. Shinedown have.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!!!, 27 May 2004
This review is from: leave a whisper (Audio CD)
I first heard about Shinedown when listening to songs online. the song of thiers which came up was 45, which i listened to and thought was absolutely amazing. After hearing this, i told a friend of mine about the band, and she said she already had their album. I borrowed it immediately. On first listen, my first instincts were the same as those when i listened to the evanescence album: It was far too samey. However, after listening to it another time through, i realised the individual beauty of each song's lyrics and the undeniable sense of emotion behind the music which the band had created.
The album opens with a calmer song (well, compared to the rest of the album), and gradually becomes harder throughout, returning to a powerful, but slower tempo finale.
Though the album is now one of my favourites, i still think that the best song on it is 45, which rounds off a fantastic collection in the best way imaginable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply phenomenal., 29 April 2008
Theres not much more I can say really; every song is exceptional, with my personal favourites being "45" and "In Memory". This album is one of the best I've ever heard.

I felt that the addition of "45 (Acoustic)" and "Burning Bright (Sanford Sessions)" really push this album into the higher tier of albums; a feat which few artists make.

The "Simple Man" cover, I think, doesn't really fit in with the ethos of this album, but the song is ok.

Overall, if you like rock music, get this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leave a Whisper?, 20 Jan. 2006
Simon Pittman "klezzie" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
They certianly left more than that. Having played the album through several times now, there are definately some growers on here. I definately recommend buying this particular album with the bonus tracks on. Simple Man is one of my favourite Shinedown songs, and the 45 acoustic is suprisingly as powerful as the original. However, the album fades a bit in the middle, with the strong songs coming at the start and end, but this shouldn't stop you from buying this powerfully sung album.

5.0 out of 5 stars They shine indeed, 11 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
Having listened to a number of their tracks on internet radio i decided to buy the album. By no means a mistake, it's a great album with great guitar riffs and vocals.
One reviewer has tried to compare this band's vocals to U2, why i don't know, completely pointless as they are NOTHING like U2. They're two completely different bands. Anyway enough of that. If you like good 'old fashioned' heavy rock music you'll love it from beginning to end.
Their follow up 'Us and Them' is just as good. Hopefully we'll see them on these shores soon. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jan. 2004
C. Wall "redfield1979" (London, England) - See all my reviews
There are very few albums that you buy and actually love every single track.. this is one of them.
After finding this CD buy browsing through somebody's recommendations, i had a few listens to the samples and thought "that sounds pretty good" and went and bought the album. I'm so glad i did! The tracks flow well from one to next, without you getting the urge to reach for the 'forward' button.
Leave a Whisper is of the hard-rock vein, similiar to bands like Breaking Benjamin and Creed, though it would be insulting to say that they were just another Creed clone - they are so more than this. Brent Smith's vocals are some of the best I've heard in a long time - quite similiar to the lead singer of Silvercrush - but more gravelly.
The best songs on this album for me are: Lost In The Crowd, Burning Bright, In Memory, 45 and Fly From The Inside.
If you like Hard Rock and are looking for a great new band to fall in love with, give Shinedown a try - you wont be disappointed!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›