on 28 January 2010
This watch has given me the incentive to get off my butt. It's so easy to just sit there and watch tv and not exercise. Since having this watch, so far, because it was raining I did my wii fit and then my cross trainer. This bought me up to an active day. I have also walked into town and back about 4 miles. Usually I get the bus.
I find the scale on the front makes me feel that I'm being lazy until I have filled it up to 60 minutes. I think this product is extremely worth it and I would recommend it.
on 2 August 2009
I've used a Polar FA20 for about 4 months. I find it a great stimulus to walk every day for at least a minimum distance. I know I wouldn't do this otherwise. But the readings are very inaccurate.

Pros

It doesn't start measuring until you've been walking for about 10 - 15 seconds - so moving about round the house or office is not counted, which is a good thing. (It also carries on working for about that time after you stop walking.)

You can leave it on all day and it will give you the total distance you have walked and the total time spent walking, not counting periods of sitting or pottering around. Alternatively, you can measure the distance for each walk or run individually.

I originally assumed it had to be on your wrist or on a moving limb to work - but this isn't the case. Mine works if its in my shirt pocket as I walk. One day I had to carry a large potted plant for about 300 yards, which required me to have both arms clasped round the pot - so no arm swinging - but the FA20 still measured the distance.

It stores 2 months worth of daily readings.

Cons

Its inaccurate. I note the reading over a fixed part of my daily walk and it regularly varies between 0.9 miles, 1 mile and 1.1 miles, which is more variation than I'd like to see. More seriously, the actual distance of this part of the walk measured using two different online maps is 1.35 miles. This means that it is underestimating the actual distance walked by between 19% and 50% - a huge discrepancy.

Polar sell a separate device ('Flowlink') for keeping track of your results online but the software is not presently Mac compatible.

The FA20 allows you to view a series of screens (current time, current activity state, calories, distance, time active, active steps taken) but doesn't give you the option of suppressing those that you don't want to see. So you may have to push the button repeatedly to find the screen that you do want.

It measures forward motion, punctuated by steps. It won't register other kinds of exercise such as running on the spot. Reviews elsewhere say it doesn't measure cycling or weight lifting.

Conclusion

It is still useful as a stimulus to exercise, but you have to accept that its measuring your distance in `Polar miles' no real miles. I try and walk a minimum of 2 `Polar miles' a day, accepting that the actual distance walked will be between 2.4 and 3 miles. At least its not overestimating my distance. But I expect greater accuracy than this for the price.
on 28 April 2014
I have had this for over a year now. It had lasted well. The chest band for detecting heart rate has also lasted well and been through the washing machine many times. Good quality.
on 30 April 2013
Pedometer and watch in one - only its more of an activity tracker than pedometer. Very easy to wear and keep track of how active you are.
on 30 May 2010
This is a good watch for recording daily activity, the display looks good and its easy to use but its not accurate when recording distance for running. I had to input my height 3" taller than I actually am to get it to record the distance anywhere near the correct mileage.
on 14 August 2014
screen failed after 13 months
on 21 February 2009
i recieved this product and it is not a heart rate monitor like it says it is on the website description!
on 3 January 2014
The watch is fine and works well. But - - it was advertised as new but may have labels removed from the packaging etc. However, the box had no shrink-wrap and had clearly been opened previously and was pretty scruffy. I assumed that it would have signs that it had been on sale somewhere at some time, but would be unopened. The instruction book was also clearly not pristine and had obviously been read and was a bit dog eared.-, so the description I based my purchase on was misleading - it must have been used and opened . I would have been happy to purchase this at a lower cost as "used but in good condition".

Delivery etc was absolutely fine and there was a personal note from the vendor - a nice touch. But the description was not accurate and was misleading, I think. Hmm.