5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing flavour
I gave this product 5 stars because of the flavour of the product. It actually tastes better than some milkshakes out there. It's so easy to mix. Taste so good with milk but also tastes really nice with water.

I take this before bed and it seems to work.

Published 17 months ago by Mostafa Miah

3.0 out of 5 stars HMM
The smell and taste are nothing alike. Takes awhile to get use to the taste but with milk it is fairly nice. With water it is ... yucky but casein generally isn't ever as nice as whey.
Published 6 months ago by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing flavour, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein Protein Powder Drink Mix Chocolate Supreme 1820g (Personal Care)

I take this before bed and it seems to work.

Shout out to the delivery team on this. I got it on the cheap for about £32 for a big tub. I also got it delivered to my house a couple of days before it was supposed to. Top marks for everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing value and taste!, 24 April 2013
Cant beat the price and the taste is great mixed with milk or water,definitely a must for a late night shake

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Casein protein I've had, 12 Dec 2013
This is one of the best Casein protein I've ever had.
Mixes excellent despite being thicker than whey and the taste is amazing I was actually looking forward to have it a night time
Not the cheapest but its money well spend

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and mixes well, 10 Jun 2014
I brought this to use in conjunction with their Whey protein. This is a better solution to having to consume a pot of cottage cheese before bed time. I have also started using it before I go to work. My shift work affords me very few opportunities to eat especially with no scheduled breaks. I tend to graze and this slow release protein helps to keep the amino acid levels topped up throughout the shift.
The taste isn't great but palatable. It's more like creamy coconut with hints of vanilla. Mixes into a thick solution. I use 200 ml milk with 100 ml of water. Produces much less froth than milk alone. I also use a scoop and a half. Mixed using a Maximuscle shaker, and shaken for about 10 seconds.
I'm pleased with the results but haven't tried any other Casein proteins.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Casein Powder, 3 Aug 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because not only was it the number #1 selling casein protein powder on Amazon but I had heard a lot of good things about the product. I wanted to see for myself if it lived up to all the hype.

Taste:
When I first tried the product by adding 1 scoop of powder into 350ml of water and mixed it with a spoon I found it to be very thick and creamy, a bit like yogurt. I found that it did not taste as nice as I expected. It tasted slightly artificial. However I found that I got to like the taste a lot more as time went by and I did not get sick of it by the end like I did with many other protein powders. If you want to enhance the taste of this product then I recommend having it with semi skimmed milk or full fat milk.

Note: This type of protein (casein) is a lot different from other powders in that it is meant to be very thick. It is a slow release protein that is designed to be taken between meals and before going to bed.

Mixing:
I found that the product mixes really well in water, milk, porridge and smoothies. I have not come across a casein product that mixes any better. It's mixed better in a pint glass than a shaker.

Results:
After taking the product for 2 months, twice a day (between meals and pre bedtime) whilst weight training 4 times a week and doing cardio 3 times a week I found that my strength and muscle growth had improvement, I had more energy and I was getting more toned. It was mostly evident around my arms and chest where my T-Shirt got tighter. I could lift 5-10% more and I felt a lot stronger even when I wasn't in the gym. It is now the only Casein Protein powder that I am willing to use. I also took 1 scoop of the Gold Standard 100% Whey Pre and Post workout and for breakfast.

Flavours:
Although all the different flavours taste the same in terms of standard, I found that the cake batter, chocolate, chocolate supreme, cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter goes better on its own, mixed with milk or in porridge. The Strawberry, Banana and Creamy Vanilla tastes better either on its own, with milk or in smoothies. All the flavours taste reasonably nice but they will never win any awards for best tasting protein shakes.

Other Casein Products:
Although there are other Casein protein powders out there that taste better, I do not believe that any can match this for results vs price and it's easy to see why the product is so popular with Body Builders and Athletes. The product can also be used by anyone that does not do exercise (male or female) but want to increase their protein intake.

Negatives:
Apart from the thickness, the only negative that I could identify was that the product contains Sucralose which is not the healthiest sweetener around, however you will find that most protein powders have this type of sweetener in them.

Verdict:
Highly Recommended

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link at the bottom of this review.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and light before bed, 25 Aug 2013
I use it before bed to keep the hunger away during the night, the flavours aren't the best so far though, I have tried chocolate and banana both drinkable but not as nice as the whey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, if a little difficult to mix., 26 Nov 2014
Douglas (WORTHING, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This casein was purchased because I wanted a slow release protein that I could use after an evening workout. I am familiar with other products in the Gold Standard range, so for me this choice was a natural one.

The taste is good, without tasting overly artificial like some other proteins. Like most supplements it does take a little getting used to the taste and consistency, however I would now rank the Chocolate flavour as my favourite.

The only criticism I have (hence the 4 stars) is that it does not mix as easily as whey protein. I'm not sure if this is true of all casein products or just this flavour. With that said, it does mix 100% in the end, it just need a bit more shaking than normal and also ends up being a thicker consistency than others, meaning more water also needs to be added. Not really a downside, just something to note. This has a small knock-on effect of cleaning being a little harder to.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only supplement I've seen real gains from, 30 Sep 2014
Mad gains! I love Optimum Nutrition's Casein. The banana flavour tastes just like banana nesquik (though the texture is a bit grainy). I workout in the morning and drink this with whey & creatine post-workout, in the afternoon between lunch & dinner, and then right before bed. I also keep a pretty good diet throughout the week. The gains I've gotten with this combination - especially taking it before bed - have massively improved my muscle gains. Can't recommend this enough!

Make sure to workout in the mornings if you're going to take it before bed. I tried evening workouts and I didn't see the same results. Could just be how my body likes it though :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great taste, worth the extra cost, 11 Dec 2014
Tastes great (creamy vanilla) and great size lasts ages. Perfect for first thing in the morning to get your protein fix until lunch or last thing at night.

Gave it four stars because it's a little grainy when with water and shaken. This isn't a problem for me, but might take a little getting used to.

Personally I really like stirring a scoop into a bowl of porridge and it mixes really well into a creamy oatmeal (I have porridge verging on the dry side with water). It mixes really well with just a bit of stirring.

ON good as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 14 Sep 2014
Great protein shake that mixes really well even if you are just whisking with a fork. It doesn't upset my stomach like some whey products and it fills you up for an evening. What tastes good is hugely subjective but in my opinion the chocolate and the vanilla are both very palatable and I have now become a repeat customer.