5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Casein Powder
Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because not only was it the number #1 selling casein protein powder on Amazon but I had heard a lot of good things about the product. I wanted to see for myself if it lived up to all the hype.

Taste:
Published 9 months ago by PPS076

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible aftertaste
I have been using this as a night time shake for the past three months. Am happy with it protein-wise but not so happy with texture and aftertaste.

I use it with a shaker bottle and you need around 300mls for one scoop. More powder requires more water which can cause stomach distension and problems with gas. I hate the burps I get as an aftertaste...
Published 17 months ago by omens

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Casein Powder, 3 Aug. 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein Protein Powder Drink Mix Chocolate Supreme 1.82kg (Personal Care)
Reason for buying:

Taste:
When I first tried the product by adding 1 scoop of powder into 350ml of water and mixed it with a spoon I found it to be very thick and creamy, a bit like yogurt. I found that it did not taste as nice as I expected. It tasted slightly artificial. However I found that I got to like the taste a lot more as time went by and I did not get sick of it by the end like I did with many other protein powders. If you want to enhance the taste of this product then I recommend having it with semi skimmed milk or full fat milk.

Note: This type of protein (casein) is a lot different from other powders in that it is meant to be very thick. It is a slow release protein that is designed to be taken between meals and before going to bed.

Mixing:
I found that the product mixes really well in water, milk, porridge and smoothies. I have not come across a casein product that mixes any better. It's mixed better in a pint glass than a shaker.

Results:
After taking the product for 2 months, twice a day (between meals and pre bedtime) whilst weight training 4 times a week and doing cardio 3 times a week I found that my strength and muscle growth had improvement, I had more energy and I was getting more toned. It was mostly evident around my arms and chest where my T-Shirt got tighter. I could lift 5-10% more and I felt a lot stronger even when I wasn't in the gym. It is now the only Casein Protein powder that I am willing to use. I also took 1 scoop of the Gold Standard 100% Whey Pre and Post workout and for breakfast.

Flavours:
Although all the different flavours taste the same in terms of standard, I found that the cake batter, chocolate, chocolate supreme, cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter goes better on its own, mixed with milk or in porridge. The Strawberry, Banana and Creamy Vanilla tastes better either on its own, with milk or in smoothies. All the flavours taste reasonably nice but they will never win any awards for best tasting protein shakes.

Other Casein Products:
Although there are other Casein protein powders out there that taste better, I do not believe that any can match this for results vs price and it's easy to see why the product is so popular with Body Builders and Athletes. The product can also be used by anyone that does not do exercise (male or female) but want to increase their protein intake.

Negatives:
Apart from the thickness, the only negative that I could identify was that the product contains Sucralose which is not the healthiest sweetener around, however you will find that most protein powders have this type of sweetener in them.

Verdict:
Highly Recommended

'Feedback - If you found any aspects of this review useful and you would like to leave feedback - please follow the link below - thanks'.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing value and taste!, 24 April 2013
Cant beat the price and the taste is great mixed with milk or water,definitely a must for a late night shake

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Casein protein I've had, 12 Dec. 2013
This is one of the best Casein protein I've ever had.
Mixes excellent despite being thicker than whey and the taste is amazing I was actually looking forward to have it a night time
Not the cheapest but its money well spend

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing flavour, 17 July 2013
I gave this product 5 stars because of the flavour of the product. It actually tastes better than some milkshakes out there. It's so easy to mix. Taste so good with milk but also tastes really nice with water.

I take this before bed and it seems to work.

Shout out to the delivery team on this. I got it on the cheap for about £32 for a big tub. I also got it delivered to my house a couple of days before it was supposed to. Top marks for everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and light before bed, 25 Aug. 2013
I use it before bed to keep the hunger away during the night, the flavours aren't the best so far though, I have tried chocolate and banana both drinkable but not as nice as the whey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great taste, worth the extra cost, 11 Dec. 2014
Tastes great (creamy vanilla) and great size lasts ages. Perfect for first thing in the morning to get your protein fix until lunch or last thing at night.

Gave it four stars because it's a little grainy when with water and shaken. This isn't a problem for me, but might take a little getting used to.

Personally I really like stirring a scoop into a bowl of porridge and it mixes really well into a creamy oatmeal (I have porridge verging on the dry side with water). It mixes really well with just a bit of stirring.

ON good as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gold Standard indeed!, 9 May 2014
I've tried the vanilla, banana cream and chocolate and all tasted great. Can't go wrong whatever flavour you choose. This is a no frills casein protein. Compared, say, to MusclePharms Casein this ON is much better in terms of flavour and constitution. Washing out your glass and shaker will not be a nightmare like with other carein products. In terms of your gains it works really well especially with a good whey protein for the morning and after your workout to make sure you're getting all the BCAA's you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, very sweet, but makes a great hot chocolate., 4 May 2015
AJ (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I've used several of ON's powders and am generally a big fan. I do like this product, and have seen improvements, and would definitely recommend it. I would have to say though, that the chocolate flavour for me, is a little too sweet. It does make a great hot chocolate though - I have to admit, I drink it more often with warm water than cold. Unlike some of their other powders, this separates quite quickly, so if you don't drink it all within 5 minutes, you need to give it another shake.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Evening Snack But Leaves Clumps, 8 April 2014
Optimum Nutrition tends to be the highest quality protein on the market. Amazon sells this at a relatively good price as well. Casein is particularly helpful for evenings and nights (immediately before bed). Casein is a slow release protein that helps your body adapt and recover over night.

My only complaint is that this protein clumps a bit more than other casein versions I've tried. But overall, it's good stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible aftertaste, 4 Dec. 2013

Haven't tried using it with a blender or with milk yet.