5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because not only was it the number #1 selling protein powder on Amazon but I had heard a lot of good things about the product. I wanted to see for myself if it lived up to all the hype.

Ingredients and Nutritional Profile:
Refer to product image and description.

Taste:
When I first tried...
Published 26 days ago by PPS076

2.0 out of 5 stars Half full or Half empty
I've ordered this product many times in the past and it is great. The reason I am only giving 2 stars though is the fact that when my order came it was literally HALF empty. I've ordered many times before and it tends ot vary how full the tubs are but this time there was litterally half of it missing.
Published 17 days ago by Darren

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 3 Aug 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder Drink Mix Double Rich Chocolate 908g (Personal Care)
Reason for buying:

Ingredients and Nutritional Profile:
Refer to product image and description.

Taste:
When I first tried the product by adding 1 scoop (30.4g) of powder into 350ml of water, I found that it did not taste as nice as I expected. It tasted slightly artificial and watery. However I found that I got to like the taste a lot more as time went by and I did not get sick of it by the end like I did with many other protein powders. If you want to enhance the taste of this product and make it less watery I recommend having it with semi skimmed milk or full fat milk.

Mixing:
I found that the product mixes really well in water, milk, porridge and smoothies. I have not come across a product that mixes any better.

Results:
After taking the product for 2 months, 3 times a day, whilst weight training 4 times a week and doing cardio 3 times a week I found that my strength and muscle growth had improvement, I had more energy and I was getting more toned. It was mostly evident around my arms and chest where my T-Shirt got tighter. I could lift 5-10% more and I felt a lot stronger even when I wasn't in the gym. It is now the only Whey Protein powder that I am willing to use.

When to take:
I had 1 scoop for breakfast, Pre training and post training mixed with Dextrose. Having Dextrose at the same time drives the amino acids into the muscles much quicker. If I don't fancy a shake first thing in the morning then I will mix 1 scoop with my porridge or smoothie.
Although all the different flavours taste the same in terms of standard, the chocolate based flavours go better on their own, with dextrose or mixed in porridge whilst the fruity flavours go better either on their own, with Dextrose or with smoothies. All the flavours taste reasonably nice but they will never win any awards for best tasting protein shakes.

Other Whey Products:
Although there are more Whey protein powders out there that taste better, I do not believe that any can match this for results vs price and it's easy to see why the product is so popular with Body Builders and Athletes. The product can also be used by anyone that does not do exercise (male or female) but want to increase their protein intake.

Negatives:
The only negative that I could identify was that the product contains Sucralose which is not the healthiest sweetener around, however you will find that most protein powders have this type of sweetener in them.

Verdict:
Highly Recommended

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Whey Protein Supplement, 28 Nov 2012
I've been making my own protein shakes for a very long time and I never tried this brand although I had always heard good things about it. I finally got me a tub the other day and must say the taste rivals that of muscle milk (for those who have tried muscle milk you know what I'm talking about when I say it tastes like a chocolate milk shake). The reason I rate this protein higher than muscle milk is because the protein to carb and fat ration put muscle milk to shame, and still tastes like excellent which, to me, is pretty impressive.

I drink one shake a day post-workout, add in some trib and DAA, Tribulus Terrestris 90% Bulk Powder 25 Grams + FREE Primaforce D-Aspartic Acid 100 Grams which btw if you're over twenty and lifting heavy, DAA and trib pack on muscle like few other test boosters I've tried. One tip I'll add here, not that it needs it but try adding a drop of vanilla extract (and only a drop) and some ice cubes into the blender and tell me if that isn't the best shake you've ever had after a hard workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise it is not a very sweet shake so if you prefer sweeter shakes in order ..., 16 Aug 2014
TASTE:
This really benefits from being made with milk. It tastes a little 'thin' otherwise without adding skimmed milk. Otherwise it is not a very sweet shake so if you prefer sweeter shakes in order to cut your sweet tooth throughout the day then you make want to add a tablespoon of something else to this. That said, there is a slight malty taste about this and it is one of the most pleasant shakes I've every had. If you double the recommended dose, it is VERY sweet.

TEXTURE:
This is really easy to shake and I do not get lumps of powder. This has nothing to do with my shaker because some of my meal replacement shakes continue to be lumpy or too thick despite shaking or blending. If you do not have a shaker, you could easily mix this with a fork as I have done from time to time.

PACK:
It is a large container (you're probably buying in bulk) but they also come in handy doy bags and smaller individual portion sachets. These are excellent for travelling especially with hand baggage only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty !!, 19 Aug 2014
Tastes yum! I have it with milk though. Water was a bit gross (bleuch) skimmed milk is really yummy but a couple of days ago only had green milk and had to use that instead... It was even better with green milk!!! I bet it would be a whole level better with blue milk!! Lol. I don't know if it makes me stronger or repairs muscles etc but psychologically I feel better from it but I do know that it takes away my hunger as I exercise so many times per week I was always hungry and this drink definitely takes the edge off. I still get hungry but not as much!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST PROTEIN EVER!, 4 Aug 2014
Absolutely the best protein i have ever purchased. Considering i have tried them all, maximuscle, phd, reflex, the list goes on this is def the best. It is very good at mixing with milk and ice cold water. I usually have it as a pre gym snack and it works very well. My muscle mass has gone up very quickly and i have cut body fat with a good clean diet. Highly recommended product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality protein no thrills and good value even if you dbl servings. Double rich choc is ok., 25 Aug 2014
I chose this because I wanted to get my protein source from Whey Protein Isolate - which I believe is the one with the fastest absorption rate. Not many of the shakes out there actually contain whey protein isolate, it is a premium ingredient.
This does contain Whey Protein Concentrate etc too. You get a high% of protein per scoop(one serving) and it mixes really easily.

The double rich choc flavour is good, not amazing, I would give it 5 stars if it tasted better. But you're drinking this stuff for the benefits right?! I even put a scoop in my coffee and it wasn't all that bad! I used vanilla flavour back in 2006 when I was at Uni and that tasted like chemicals, not nice.

The shake is feeding my muscles (and fast) which is exactly what I want. It's not a bulking shake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 3 Mar 2014
It has far better price than the ones in other websites and very good quality. I was actually expecting the product to have a very soon best before date however it is newly produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great, mixes well and is really easy to drink ..., 30 July 2014
Tastes great, mixes well and is really easy to drink post-workout. Absolutely love it and much cheaper than in the shops!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
Best protien on the market!
Cookies and cream flavour not the best though, but definetly not bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great results, 12 Jun 2013
I've been using whey protein for a long time, off and on, and have always gotten positive results with it. Its a non essential protein that enhances your body greatly. It can be found in a body naturally, but it becomes depleted in individuals whom are heavy in weight training or endurance training.

Its not a supplement that will increase your muscle size or strength drastically, but it does give you that extra edge when it comes to recovery and muscle fatigue. For me, its a core part in my supplementation routine. No need to really cycle it either and given the amount you get for the price, its very realistic for the avg. to take this stuff year round.

For lifters, I suggest looking into complimentary supplements as well. My preference is cycling with whey and MMP; Muscle Maxx Pro + FREE L-Arginine (Nitric Oxide Booster) 250 Grams. It contains another one of those nonessential amino acids and it plays a pretty big role in nitrogen balance and metabolic processes - which translates into a massive amount of blood being shot into your muscles once contracted.

I train a lot longer and hardly ever got that lactic acid burn on arm days, at least it takes a heck of lot more to phase me. Even my cardio is easier on it too. I'd recommend it along with glutamine any day of the week specifically because it is actually partly synthesized from glutamine which means taking them together increases effects across the board.