1,295 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because not only was it the number #1 selling protein powder on Amazon but I had heard a lot of good things about the product. I wanted to see for myself if it lived up to all the hype.

Taste:
Published 9 months ago by PPS076

This is an excellent product, however I’m not sure about the seller.
This product came with the internal seal broken.
Published 3 months ago by G. Esperato Pereira

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 3 Aug. 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Double Rich Chocolate Protein Powder 908g (Personal Care)
Reason for buying:

Taste:
When I first tried the product by adding 1 scoop (30.4g) of powder into 350ml of water, I found that it did not taste as nice as I expected. It tasted slightly artificial and watery. However I found that I got to like the taste a lot more as time went by and I did not get sick of it by the end like I did with many other protein powders. If you want to enhance the taste of this product and make it less watery I recommend having it with semi skimmed milk or full fat milk.

Mixing:
I found that the product mixes really well in water, milk, porridge and smoothies. I have not come across a product that mixes any better.

Results:
After taking the product for 2 months, 3 times a day, whilst weight training 4 times a week and doing cardio 3 times a week I found that my strength and muscle growth had improvement, I had more energy and I was getting more toned. It was mostly evident around my arms and chest where my T-Shirt got tighter. I could lift 5-10% more and I felt a lot stronger even when I wasn't in the gym. It is now the only Whey Protein powder that I am willing to use.

When to take:
I had 1 scoop for breakfast, Pre training and post training mixed with Dextrose. Having Dextrose at the same time drives the amino acids into the muscles much quicker. If I don't fancy a shake first thing in the morning then I will mix 1 scoop with my porridge or smoothie.

Although all the different flavours taste the same in terms of standard, the chocolate based flavours go better on their own, with dextrose or mixed in porridge whilst the fruity flavours go better either on their own, with Dextrose or with smoothies. All the flavours taste reasonably nice but they will never win any awards for best tasting protein shakes.

Other Whey Products:
Although there are more Whey protein powders out there that taste better, I do not believe that any can match this for results vs price and it's easy to see why the product is so popular with Body Builders and Athletes. The product can also be used by anyone that does not do exercise (male or female) but want to increase their protein intake.

Negatives:
The only negative that I could identify was that the product contains Sucralose which is not the healthiest sweetener around, however you will find that most protein powders have this type of sweetener in them.

Verdict:
Highly Recommended

'Feedback - If you found any aspects of this review useful and you would like to leave feedback - please follow the link below - thanks'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate Mint, 14 July 2013
What can I say, the protein shake is great. I initially bought this brand because there was a test published showing how certain brands cheated people on how much protein per gram they truly contained. Optimum Nutrition did not.

Ultimately a good whey, unfortunately not the best flavour. I would say If you are starting out training and you are sceptical about spending £40 on a flavour you may not like go with the Double Chocolate flavour. It is the one everyone seems to like and is definitely better than chocolate mint.

I think ON do a tester pack with one sachet of each flavour. If you choose those remember those very sweet tropical flavours become less and less pleasurable as time passes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't flaw it., 19 July 2013
I've been using the Cookies and Cream Gold Standard Whey Protein now for about 8 months and have to say I can't flaw it. So easy to mix it, I use cold water and it mixes in 30 seconds of hand shaking it. It has a great taste to it that makes you want to drink it unlike other protein I've tried that you had to try and force down and the price Amazon sell it at is great.

I would 100% recommend this to anybody else that is looking for a nice easy to blend protein shake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Whey Protein Supplement, 28 Nov. 2012
I've been making my own protein shakes for a very long time and I never tried this brand although I had always heard good things about it. I finally got me a tub the other day and must say the taste rivals that of muscle milk (for those who have tried muscle milk you know what I'm talking about when I say it tastes like a chocolate milk shake). The reason I rate this protein higher than muscle milk is because the protein to carb and fat ration put muscle milk to shame, and still tastes like excellent which, to me, is pretty impressive.

I drink one shake a day post-workout, add in some trib and DAA, Tribulus Terrestris 90% Bulk Powder 25 Grams + FREE Primaforce D-Aspartic Acid 100 Grams which btw if you're over twenty and lifting heavy, DAA and trib pack on muscle like few other test boosters I've tried. One tip I'll add here, not that it needs it but try adding a drop of vanilla extract (and only a drop) and some ice cubes into the blender and tell me if that isn't the best shake you've ever had after a hard workout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great protein source.. but contains artificial sweetener, 3 May 2015
I take it after workout. had initially tried it in water, but did not like the taste at all. Have been drinking it in semi skimmed milk now. Like the taste. feels like a tasty milkshake. Though my wife finds it too sweet. We read through the ingredients and it contains artificial sweetener sucralose.. i do find that part as a downside of this product. Well why dont makers understand that if we find something tasting not so great, we can add our own sugar or drink it like a medicine as its good for us. What is the need for adding this sucralose.

I have read a lot about sucralose and the side effects of regular consumption in a good quantity definitely are not pleasant. In fact I was scared enough to reconsider taking this product. But i have decided to take the product 3 times a week and not the huge scoopful they suggest but about 3/4th scoop.

The reasons for me to consider this product
- High protein content.
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Ingredients and allergy information do not mention egg

I have tried cookies and cream and I love the flavour.

Conclusion - Great product. Would have been even better without sucralose.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent product, however I’m not sure about the seller, 2 Feb. 2015
G. Esperato Pereira "Gutti" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent product, however I’m not sure about the seller.
This product came with the internal seal broken.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, minging flavour, 15 Mar. 2014
You quickly go off the taste of the mint choc flavour. I love mint choc flavoured stuff (and knew this would not be the same) but I wish I had gone for a more simple flavour, because you quickly go off it, which is annoying if you have bought a massive tub of it. Flavour aside, a great product and the arrival was quick. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and making some good gains, 29 April 2015
I have tried numerous different protein powders over the years from Whey Isolates, Mass Gainers, Creatine the list goes on. I have always preferred the results from Whey protein so decided to give Gold Standard a go. I have been using this for the last month or so and am sticking to the recommended three scoops a day all with semi skimmed milk. I have so far experienced some very satisfying results i have gained about 2lbs of lean muscle mass during the last month whilst including a low carb, high fat diet the two have gone together brilliantly. As for the taste i went for double chocolate and its tastes amazing i read someone mentioned it tastes like Nesquik and i would agree with that.

The product is very good value for money and i have even subscribed to receive this on a monthly basis its that good. Im sure as time goes on i will hopefully continue to make gains at a nice steady pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gains!, 8 Oct. 2013
Mr. Mark R. Davies (Shetland, UK) - See all my reviews
This is by far the best Whey protein i have ever had, it really helps repair those muscles after a good work out by taking this 2 times a day, once post workout and also just before you go to bed! if you get the right amount of water in 1 scoop to 8Oz then the taste is fantastic, it really tastes amazing and if u put milk in it tastes like hot chocolate. but put in to much water then it doesn't taste as good, but it doesn't taste bad at all just a little watery.

5/5 Hands down, a MUST BY for anyone serious about seeing them gains and burning fat at the gym!

also good to use along side PHD Diet whey

2.0 out of 5 stars Stinks but tastes alright., 6 May 2015
Watson (Nottinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
Smells like sh*t literally when mixed with milk it gives off a scent of fecal matter, not strong but a hint of it. Taste is very nice though I am put off by the smell of it. Not seen this complaint in other reviews.. Maybe my sense of smell is maybe stronger than the average person or something. Use of ingredients like sucralose is an artificial sweetener when taken in larges amounts can be dangerous shown by several studies especially on animals who developed tumors and other cancers. I would honestly prefer a protein powder just using sugar but none of them do this.