4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but some cautions
I have been a user of an electric toothbrush (Braun) for years, and I know my dentist recommends this over manual brushing. I thought this Philips product would be ideal for my family, as I have 2 children aged 4 and 11. After using it for a week, I am generally quite impressed, but there are a few points for a potential buyer to consider.

Pros:
- Seems...
Published on 24 Sep 2009 by leftfooter

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive..at first
Published on 24 Sep 2009 by A Friendly Face

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but some cautions, 24 Sep 2009
leftfooter "leftfooter" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips Sonicare for Kids HX6311/02 Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Pros:
- Seems a good quality product - decent materials, feels solid and well put together
- Brush is colourful and attractive
- Rubberised grip is easy to hold
- Controls are easy to understand - one button to change between gentle and stronger vibration, one for on/off
- My dental hygenist tells me that this type of 'sonic' brush is the most effective type currently available
- The timing feature, which issues a little electronic tune to tell the child when to move on to a new part of their teeth, really works in helping instill a good brushing routine
- Different toothbrush sizes suit smaller and larger teeth/mouth

Cons:
- Interchangeable covers are a bit gimmicky. They are adhesive, so I suspect they would not stand up to constant changing and would eventually fall off if treated this way. Fine if your kids are happy to settle on one colour and stick with it.
- Stand only has holders for 2 brushes, so if you have 3+ kids, other brushes will just have to lie around
- The brush vibrates extremely fast (which is why it is effective) but my youngest simply finds this too tickly and consequently (after initial enthusiasm) is now refusing to use it. Consider carefully before buying for a very young child. Not the sort of thing a shop will let you "try before you buy", so unless you have a friend who has one, it's just a judgement/risk you need to take

One final point of information. If you have not had an electric toothbrush before, they all seem to come with a 2-pin plug, and this is no exception. I assume this is for plugging in to a bathroom shaver socket, but if you do not have one you will need a two-to-three pin plug adapter before you can charge it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive..at first, 24 Sep 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son is eleven and he loves this product. He appreciates the buzzer to tell you to switch "quadrants" whilst brushing. Cleaning is excellent. He has used it religiously now for two minutes twice a day since we got it over a month ago and the novelty has not worn off. We will have to change the brush head soon and I would like to see the option to buy only the larger size rather than a pack with one we can't use. He liked the option to choose your colour scheme - has settled on one now after initially trying them all for a few days each, they seem to re-stick without any problem. Brush head covers are a great idea in general and particularly when travelling, as is the fact that you can take the charger without having to take the whole base.

This product stopped working after 12 months!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush for difficult toddlers, 15 Jan 2011
I bought this toothbrush for my 2 year old, who often refused to open his mouth for a regular toothbrush and even when he did open up he'd clamp down on the brush to suck the toothpaste off and would refuse to let me actually brush his teeth. This toothbrush did the trick. He loves the vibration and the musical notes it plays and I'm finally able to get at his teeth for a few seconds at a time! The product is aimed at kids 4+ but don't let that put you off. It's brilliant for smaller kids too.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Come on Mummy, let's go and clean our teeth" Dental fun (honestly!), 21 Sep 2009
EllyBlue (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This had instant appeal for my two girls (aged 6 and 7) because of its bright funky colours and interchangeable fascias, and also because it was just like Mummys! Included in the package you'll find the toothbrush handle (which must be charged on the base unit for 24 hours), two toothbrush heads (one suitable for ages 4 and over, the other for the over 7s). , and three fascias to choose from. There is also quite a detailed instruction sheet.

Unlike my grown-up Sonicare, this one doesn't roll around when you lie it down flat which makes it easier for small people to put on the toothpaste themselves. A good idea! Never mind what it looks like, and how easy it is to put the toothpaste on though. The key thing with a toothbrush is how well it cleans teeth. Well, my children and I all agree that this gets 5 stars! There are two settings (selected by the bottom button), a gentle one for younger children/learners, and a more intense one for experts. We've started on the gentler one, and I think it is a good idea to ease gently into using an electric brush. My girls are happy for me to clean their teeth for them using this - much happier in fact than when I've been using an ordinary brush. At intervals, the toothbrush plays a little tune to tell you to move on to a different part of the mouth, and then when all four areas are covered, you get a longer tune and the brush turns itself off. The toothbrush gradually increases the time spent brushing over the first few uses until you are at the 2 minutes recommended by dentists. My girls have also been keen to try out cleaning their teeth on their own, and I was impressed by how easy it was for them - easier than a manual brush. I think it is because you don't need to make such vigorous movements or scrub so hard with an electric brush, instead letting the brush do its work. When not in use, the toothbrush heads can be stored on dedicated plastic pegs on the charger itself, and if travelling, you can just take the charger bit and leave the larger plastic section with the pegs on behind. Incidentally, the charger also charges my adult Sonicare brush (quite a new model though - won't work with older ones).

As with most items of this type, replacement brush heads don't come cheap so the ongoing costs of these need to be considered, particularly as you should replace the heads every three months. Here are the links to the relevant brushes on Amazon so you can see what the cost will be.
Philips HX6032/05 Sonicare For Kids Brush heads
Philips HX6042/05 Two Replacement Brush Heads - Red and Blue

This product is very child friendly and makes what can be a tricky job much easier to do properly. Never before have I seen my daughters sprinting up the stairs with enthusiastic cries of "come on Mummy, let's go and clean our teeth" . Definitely recommended and five stars from us.

*I will update this review when we have next seen the dentist to see what he thinks about the state of my daughters' teeth.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 7 Feb 2010
after reading other positive reviews I purchased this toothbrush for my 3year old and 7 year old, it has encouraged much better brushing they love the music telling them they are finished.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good While It Lasts - But They Never Do, 20 Sep 2012
A. Skipper (UK) - See all my reviews
I think all Sonicare brushes are inherently flawed in their design. I think they basically shake themselves to pieces.

Here is our history with Sonicare - please be assured we treat them well, they are not dropped or thrown about or used as a replacement for any DIY tools such as a hammer!

£150 on one for me - broke within 6 months, replaced by Amazon
Replacement one broke within 11 months - replaced by Amazon
Replacement one broke 18 months later - NOT replaced so had to purchase another one - chose the cheapest one they did this time

£150 one for my wife - broke after 9 months - replaced by Amazon
Replacement one broke after 15 months - Amazon would NOT replace so we purchased the cheaper version (around £50) and that has lasted this time

Kids one (as above)
£50 purchased Oct 2010 - broke and replaced in August 2011.
£50 purchased another for my eldest daughter in August 2011 as well
The one that we had replaced on Aug 2011 has now just broke - can't fix it and we're a month behind the return period

So...
PROS
It cleans your teeth

CONS
Expensive, flawed design, will cost you a fortune in replacing them until you finally wake up and realise that Phillips must know about this and just rely on them lasting more than 12 months. Phillips have ignored all my emails asking for replacement units as they are simply not fit for purpose.

AVOID

5.0 out of 5 stars My 8 year old LOVES brushing his teeth now!, 20 Sep 2011
K. Gordon "Gadget Freak" (South Coast of the United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this toothbrush well over a year ago, and it's still going strong, contrary to some of the reviews. Thought I'd post a quick review, as I have been so happy with it.

After the usual struggles getting my 8 year old son to brush his teeth properly with a manual toothbrush, since buying this sonicare he brushes his teeth without complaint, and as he knows that he has to wait for the beep after 2 minutes, there are no shortcuts! He loves the sound to tell him to switch to a different quadrant in his mouth.

Recommended by my dentist, who said that an electric toothbrush cannot be beaten, especially the Philips sonicare models, which apparently are better than the Oral-B electric models. However, I have read differing reports, so I am only going by what my dentist recommended.

The heads are, frankly, quite expensive, but what value do you put on your childs teeth? They are priceless, so it's not worth complaining about.

If you have an adult sonicare as well, like I do, then you can both have a 'race' to see who's toothbrush beeps first! In fact, my son rushes to the bathroom to get started before me so he can win. Who says brushing your teeth isn't fun?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy!, 16 Nov 2010
Only thing is the mess. The toothpaste does tend to splatter everywhere when brushing! But very good overall compared to the manual brush.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 3 months, 3 Oct 2010
Used by my children and has stopped workign after 3 months. Now I have the hassle of trying to figure out how to get it replaced under guarantee - disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but my 4 year old hates it!, 10 Mar 2010
This toothbrush is very efficient although we had to send the first one back to the manufacturers after two weeks because the circuit board failed. They were great though and sent us a brand new toothbrush very quickly. However, my 4 year old son for whom the toothbrush was intended, put up with it for the first 2 weeks and then decided he didn't like the vibrating sensation (it's quite strong, even on the lower age setting) so alas, it's gone into the cupboard until he's a bit older. Shame because it cleaned his teeth superbly!