Platform: Nintendo Wii|Change
Price:£17.40+ £1.91 shipping

on 8 February 2010
In my opinion this is a realistic attempt at a rallying game.

The cars are meant to be difficult to master, and they are - well, at least to certain extent. Initially it is very frustrating as the car is almost never on the track, but once you have started to get a feel for the controls then things start to get better. As you also start to learn the tracks then things get better still as you work out how to get round the corners and obstacles quickly - dare I say it even at full throttle.

Watching your performances through the replay function will give you an insight into what you are doing wrong - and watching the computer controlled cars will give you an idea of what you need to do to go fast and stay in control e.g. you almost never have the wheel steady and straight for longer than a fraction of a second as you are always correcting for slides, bumps ...etc - watch those front wheels on the replay!

The only drawback with the controls is that you can't vary the amount of throttle, so its either pedal to the metal, or nothing. This makes the restart from the side of the road after a crash a little tricky at times - handfuls of opposite lock being the order of the day .... saying that, it does make doughnuts really easy to do!!

Learning the tracks is very important as the obvious shortest route is not necessarily the best - bumpy ground really comes into it here as the cars are in the air a lot of the time and, realistically, can't be steered while airborne. Hopefully I haven't put people off with making it sound too difficult - if it's any consolation my 7 year old son wipes the floor with me on this, although I'm better than him at Formula One 2009!!

If you want a challenging driving experience then this is likely to be for you - if however you want a simple kiddies racing game then you probably need to look elsewhere - Mario Karts maybe.
on 27 July 2012
There seems to be a huge number of negative reviews for this game on Amazon, and to be honest, I can't really see why. Having played this game for a while now, I have never found myself frustrated by it; the controls are nice and responsive as far as I am concerned (using the classic controller), feeling like you're actually driving on a proper, loose-dirt road; graphics are just fine for a Wii game (don't compare them to the PS3 or 360 versions, it's an utterly pointless operation) and the sound is nice and chunky.

Most of all though, this game is FUN! The challenges are good fun to play through (particularly the air challenges, where you have to get your car airborne off a series of ramps strewn around each track for set amounts of time to be awarded a medal) and, for once, I've even gone through the time trials on each course trying to improve my best times.

The cars do handle slightly differently in my opinion. This isn't a simulation of course, so don't expect truly accurate handling but there's enough variety here to keep you interested in unlocking new vehicles. The tracks too are all sufficiently different (although not really very long), each offering a slightly different kind of challenge to your racing ability.

Overall, if you treat this game like an arcade racer, you won't be disappointed. If you're looking for simulation, go buy Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli (Wii) instead (ironically, there are people reviewing that game that complain about it being too much of a simulator!) Dirt 2 for Wii is what it is, and what it is, is a great fun rally racer that can offer as much in a short burst as it does in the longevity of the challenges and seasons it provides.
on 15 October 2009
Not quite what I expected - I'm used to PC games, therefore the controls aren't as easy to me. Having problems controlling cars compared to PC games. Graphics are superb and gameplay will be good when I get used to it.
on 28 November 2010
First of all this isnt the rubbish poor game some have made it out to be, yes it has its faults but it has alot of pluses. Graphically i think the game is good, people who judge its graphics against the ps3 and 360 versions are being harsh in my opinion as its obvious the wii console is nt anywhere near as powerful as these systems and to try and compare like this isnt being realistic. In terms of wii graphics the games graphics are very good, detailed cars and environments with a steady framerate aswell, there are much worse looking racers on wii than this. Controls are hard to master at first as theyre much more sensitive than nfs titles but this adds to realism and challenges you, once mastered they much more responsive than the nfs games. Lots to keep you interested in singleplayer but for me the split screen 2-4 player is where this comes into its own, shame theres no online though!A good game all in all, if youre tired of mario kart and nfs theres worse wii racers you can pick up than this underrated offroader.
on 11 January 2013
Brilliant!!!!!!! Even my mum thought this was good fun. however she did say that it was not to be taken seriously - if only our car could take the knocks and scrapes that these vehicles do!
on 15 May 2012
I bought this game about 2 years ago as I wanted a racing game for the Wii, but for some reason never really got into it. I found the steering with the wiimote to be tedious, difficult and not intuitive - perhaps using the Plus accessory should have been considered by the developers?

But I got myself a classic controller recently, and this being one of only a few games that I own that supports it, I decided to throw it back in just for a quick test run. I haven't ejected it since.

Using the much more comfortable and relaxing classic controller has enabled me to really enjoy the game from the comfort of my couch. Although I love the acrobatics required for some games, I think a more serious game like this requires you to sit back and let your mind do the work.

Good game, it's a shame that poor controls almost ruined the experience initially, but now I'm finally getting my money's worth. The cars seem to behave realistically (except for collisions and damage, but that's OK I never really got into the hard-core racing sims), the graphics are decent enough. Fortunately the developers ensured that the framerate stays high, even if at the cost of some visual aspects, which makes the gaming experience so much more fun.
on 28 December 2012
my grandson has played this game nearly non-stop since receiving it at xmas, would recomend to anyone with an interest in rally car racing.
Yes, the first time I tried this game, I found it almost impossible to stay on the track. However, persevere and you'll get better. I suggest you do not keep your finger/thumb on the accelerator all the time, but keep giving it quick and repeated 'bursts' and, like with real rallying, anticipate the corners, don't wait till the last moment before turning. Also can't see much difference in the car handling with using the handbrake compared to the full brakes. One other word of advice - keep well away from the edges where there is a drop-off, I virtually guarantee, with the response delays of the handset/wheel, you'll go over the edge.

As with another reviewer, I hope that the forthcoming F1 game is not like this one, at 200mph you need the car to do what you want when you want.
on 8 January 2013
A Christmas present for a former rallying enthusiast. My husband loving it, but a bit taken aback to find instructions in Spanish.
on 25 November 2015
ihi there i have had problem with first disc and thought it was our wee it asked me to refer to wee instructions could find notg wrong ordered second disc after about three times the same thing has happened all other discs load and play what can i doo to rectify the problem john tuach