5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought this and not the upgrade version.
I won't bore you with all the details about this software. If you've ever used a PC then you'll most likely know what to expect. It's much more stable and user friendly than Windows Vista and easy to see why it's such a big seller.

Published on 7 Sep 2012 by Emma

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit product
An extremely convincing couterfeit product. The PID and activation key worked for over two years before being identified by Microsoft as 'not for resale' version. The discs provided have hologram stickers which should be intrinsic to the disc, and the box seal has incorrect 'made in USA' wording. The reseller has been notified.
Published 23 months ago by Gs Lovell

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought this and not the upgrade version., 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User (CD-ROM)

Initially I couldn't decide whether to buy the full version or the upgrade version. I was upgrading from Vista so could have bought the upgrade pack but a friend recommended that I buy the full version just in case.

So I was very grateful for this advice when I realised that my PC didn't like Windows 7. Basically my PC was an Acer and Acer don't offer any support for drivers required for software or hardware that doesn't come already installed on your PC.

So when I tried to use my new audio interface with my Acer machine that was now running Windows 7 I realised that it wouldn't work. The device kept disconnecting. Several emails were exchanged with the devices company and it was determined that I wouldn't be able to get this to work on my upgraded Acer machine.

So I decided to build my own PC and was very grateful that I had bought a full license and not the upgrade.

Anyone thinking about what version to buy remember this.

Upgrade version - Can be installed on any pc that currently runs Windows Vista or XP.
Full version - Can be used to upgrade like the above but is mainly aimed at machines with no operating system installed. Not just for PC builds but also if you want to buy a cheap PC with no OS.
The above 2 methods can be installed on as many computers as you like as long as you only have it installed on one at a time. This means that if your computer dies and you get a new one then you can install Windows 7 on it.
Lastly there is the OEM version. Yes it's cheaper but it can only be installed on one PC ever! It links itself to that PC (registering the motherboard I believe)so if anything went wrong with this pc and you needed to replace the motherboard then you would need to buy windows again.

Definitely worth spending the extra money and buying the full version in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit product, 3 Feb 2013
Gs Lovell "Gav" (Herts, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put is awesome, 5 Oct 2009
Just love this. After using the beta for a few hours, I didn't want to go back to Vista - EVER. This will be the first OS I've paid for separately rather than coming pre installed.

It really is that good, I've yet to have it crash, is tons faster than Vista, and even XP after months of use, you get the speed and reliability of XP with a far more modern look.

Good to see ole Microsoft have to their best, making rock solid OS' just like XP and 2000 again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Windows OS as Yet!, 30 Oct 2009
M. Bell "Matt Bell" (Swindon, England) - See all my reviews
This version of Windows is a great improvement. I never found Vista too bad, there were some things that drove me a little mad but this version does fix those problems. I managed to install and get my machine up and running in less than 1 hour. I only had to install a few drivers and while I was doing those it started to download others in the background, ones where it had probed the USB ports and found additional hardware.

Microsoft has learned by their errors this time around with some of the inbuilt software such as a Mail application and Messenger tools. So you don't have a Mail application that you don't use always trying to be the prime email app each time you click on a link (well it did for me in Vista). Open up IE and head to Windows Live and download the applications that you want such as Windows Live Mail. Anyone that moans that there is no built in application is being a little odd as it's free and on the web to download and if you are going to use email then you must have an Internet connection to use it!?

This version is defiantly a lot slicker. Things run quicker and respond a lot quicker. I have a large Desktop for gaming and a Laptop for normal work, the Desktop is the machine that I've loaded Windows 7 on and I am really seeing an improvement in the games that I play. Next I am going to try and update my Laptop to Windows 7, I've downloaded all the drivers from my manufactures website first and saved those, so I'm ready to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 - Microsofts Redemption!, 15 July 2009
Mr. C. Kay "Gadget Connoisseur" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used most major operating systems from Microsoft since Windows 3.1, some being absolutely horrible (Windows ME) and some being pretty good (Windows XP). I have been using Vista since it's release and im not very happy with it - it's sluggish, a resource hog and has given me driver and software issues.

Since the Beta stages of Windows 7 I had been pretty hyped up about it as every step of the way it has seemed like a very stable and solid system. To date, I have not actually seen a credible source give a bad review about Windows 7. Yes, there will be the inevitable Linux and Mac "fan-boys" making loud noises about it being rubbish, but those kinds will never be happy with anything that comes with a Microsoft badge, even if it was a free all-inclusive holiday to the Maldives.

Anyway, I've been using the public RC (Release Candidate) since it's day 1 release and I've not had a single driver issue, and any Vista or XP software that has not run properly, seems to (mostly) run fine under compatibility mode. If not, there's always the 'XP Mode' feature (not available in Home Premium!). Best of all it doesnt eat away at computer memory like Vista did. Despite Microsoft releasing a 'starter' version aimed at Netbooks, Windows 7 RC actually runs just as well as XP on most current netbooks - EeePC, Samsung NC10 etc. From that, you can tell how well optimised Windows 7 is.

Finally, Microsoft have a fully competent & rock-solid operating system. It almost makes up for the heartache of using Windows 95, 98 (1st Edition), ME and Vista.

PS. I still hate Microsoft. But I do love Windows 7!

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype - ignore the gripes, 19 July 2009
Colin Pickett (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been using the Windows 7 Beta and Release Candidate for some time and I'm more than happy with the result. Unlike Vista at the time of its initial release, Windows 7 is stable, includes almost all the drivers you will need out the box, and most noticeably is fast - it runs faster than Vista on any particular spec machine, and is the first instance I can recall of a new version of Windows not requiring higher hardware resources than its predecessor.

There are the usual gripe-ridden reviews out there from Linux & Mac OS users, but the fact is that Windows is still the predominant platform. If you are a happy Windows user, then Windows 7 is a natural progression, especially if you have held out with XP due to the Vista bad press.

****It is important to note that UK/EU users are getting a full version of Windows 7, not an upgrade, due to Microsoft trying to comply with EU anti-trust judgements. This means that if migrating from an earlier version you will need to be confident in backing up all your data before installing Windows 7 from scratch, either on a wiped disk or on a new partition on your PC. You will then have to reinstall all of your applications before reinstating the backed up data.

Also you need to have downloaded an Internet Browser (IE, Firefox or othersiwse) before you install Windows 7 as the European E version shown here has no browser included because of the EU compliance issues.****

EDIT - Subsequent to my review above the EU varient was pulled by Microsoft. This is now the same product as elsewhere in the world. Therefore ignore the section between the asterisks above - you can now do an upgrade installation if you currently use Vista, but if you currently use XP you will still have to do a clean installation which includes a full data backup to external media first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the pre-orders!, 2 July 2009
Dodster (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a user of all versions since the Windows 7 beta (and still using the RC daily) I can strongly recommend Windows 7 to any computer user, if you are looking to dual boot on a Mac, or to override your XP or Vista installation.

Once you begin though, it's quick and easy to install and great to use, I've yet to have one system crash!

This is really more of a compulsory upgrade from Vista if you have the cash, you shouldn't even need to think once about getting Windows 7, it's just a given.

By far the most stable and most secure Windows to date, straight out of the box.

5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 Oct 2009
S. D. Southam "Shereen" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Having used Windows 98, XP Pro and then Vista, I can safely say that Windows 7 beats them all hands down! In the retail version you get two separate discs: the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version. Doing a clean install is quicker and easier than any previous version of Windows and Windows 7 is leaner and far more effecient and productive than any previous version too.

System Protection now enables you to choose between System files AND previous versions of files or just previous versions of files, which enables you to quickly and easily revert to previous versions without having to do a complete System Restore. And at long last, Microsoft has finally decided to let you see exactly how many Mbs (or Gbs) the restore point on any particular drive is taking up!

And in Backup you can now create a System Image and save it to DVD or your hdd, from which you can restore not only your operating system but all your existing programs, as well as any data files you choose to add to it!

UAC control is far less intusive and annoying than it was in Vista. And the Library contains shortcuts to all your Videos, Music and downloads folders etc regardless of which partition or drive they happen to be on! It also puts shortcuts to ALL your libraries in the start menu and in the folders list in Windows Explorer, which saves you having to keep navigating to each of their locations maually. And the Jump Lists make going back to recent documents or other projects extremely quick and easy too.

I don't like that IE8 no longer defaults to the last folder used, when saving favourites. And I don't like that Windows Live Mail creates separate Inboxes, Outboxes, Drafts, Junk and deleted folders for each email account or that you have to add folders to specific email accounts. But apart from these two very minor niggles, I love Windows 7 and would recommend that you get it as soon as you can afford to!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Windows OS you have been waiting for., 16 Aug 2009
Windows 7 has fixed all the things that people said was wrong with Vista. 7 is fast and easy to use. Plus the improved taskbar will make day to day task easier.
If you're moving from Vista you'll see a big speed jump, some additional features and the cut and finish that Vista never had.
If you're moving from XP then it's a whole new world, Windows 7 is MUCH less likely to crash or cause you headaches and you'll find the user interface pleasing to the eye. In addition finding an application or file is much quicker with the search bar in the start menu.
Also, just to point out that this is the full retail version of Windows 7 including Internet Explorer 8 and so because of that and contrary to many people's assertion in their review YOU CAN UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 7 over the top of Vista rather than do a full new install.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 Oct 2009
I am using Widows 7 RC1 on a five year old laptop, Celeron D processor, ATI mobility Radeon graphics, in a 20Gb partition, dual booting with XP. The laptop only has 768Mb of RAM. I have to say that the OS runs better that expected and certainly far superior than Vista, which wouldn't install on this machine, and XP, I really didn't expect that.

I have had no problems with this OS other than to update a graphics driver in order to run the games adequately.

The laptop runs as though it has a new lease of life which makes me think that an updated machine is not necessary, although I am still thinking of buying one :-D, the only thing I will say is that if you have an old laptop that you want to use, do upgrade the memory to at least 1Mb or more, things will really wiz along.

This is an awesome piece of software and is highly recommended, get it ASAP.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User