5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!!
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by Reece Wilson

1.0 out of 5 stars A flawed masterpiece
This game on paper should be utterly fantastic if you like deep open world role playing games.Fallout 3 is set in an alternate post apocalyptic future and looks fantastic,it has great locations and interesting characters,but it's incredibly bug ridden.Among the many faults are very long loading and saving times,whole quests can't be completed because some area's just...
Published on 27 Sep 2012 by Karl Grosvenor

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!!, 5 Oct 2009
Reece Wilson (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Fallout 3 is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. The leveling up system is perfect allowing you to raise stats in different ways to create different style of character every time you play (or at least so far, Im on my 4th character)the perks in the game allow for some pretty interesting power ups, the original game had me playing for a solid 3 weeks of any spare time playing the game and Im looking forward to buying this as I've not actually got the dlc and I also don't own the game I've only borrowed it from friends. Bt all in all its a great game maybe not everyone's cup of tea but if your a fan of RPG's then you'll love this.

P.S. don't listen to the guy who gave this one star, he is just someone with a vendetta against bethesda and almost seems to be a spokesperson for the Kingdom Under Fire series he claims this game is terrible because it has 3 stars despite the fact half the rating was his and he rated 1 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your life will end, 25 Feb 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
To put it simply, as the title suggests, when you buy this game you will no longer have a life. From the very moment you load this game, you will be completly absorbed into the world around you.

The game is set within the post apocalyptic ruins of Washington DC and its immediate surrounding area. Travel through the world and you can find iconic locations such as the Lincoln memorial, natural history museum and you can even find a heavily irradiated piece of the white house.

To start off with though, you get to completly shape how your character looks, so can be a clone of yourself or just some random person you like the look of. This is the underlying principle in the entire game; you do what you want and how you want to do it.

The best way to look at this is from the karma system throughout the game, do good deeds to become friendly with your average joes and be considered a saviour or trade slaves, steal and kill your way through the ruins to become a scourge of society. Depending on how you play can give many advantages and disadvantages in the shape of extra quests, rare weapons and armour or even just occasionally being given items for being so popular.

As for how you progress, most actions (such as opening locks, killing enemies and completly quests), will obtain experience for your character and allow you to level up after a set amount. The levelling up system is very simple and easy to use and just consists of putting points in whichever abilities you wish to become more profficient in (ie lockpicking, explosives, bartering etc). At every level increase there is also the option given to choose a 'perk', which is a way to really compliment your playing style and will often give you a tremendous advantage when exploring the wasteland you now call home.

Although this game is often considered to be a first person shooter with rpg elements, it is not recommended to shoot from the hip as the ironsights for many weapons arent accurate to say the least. Instead this game introduces the 'VATS' mode in which you can slow down time, choose where abouts on the enemy you wish to target and proceed to unleash a hail of bullets. This can often lead to useful results such as reducing enemy accuracy or preventing them from fleeing.

For the negative aspects of Fallout 3, a game this size does contain a fair number of glitches and as such it is recommended to be saved on a regular basis to prevent unnecessary frustrations.
Enemy AI can also at times be slightly off key, resulting in rocket launchers being fired at point blank range amongst other things.
Also if you choose to take a companion, be prepared as they tend to be quite suicidal and if you really like them, be prepared to do a lot of saving and reloading to keep them alive.

To round it all off before this gets too long, Fallout 3 contains so much to do and see, that you can easily be playing into hundreds of hours of gametime, With the game of the year edition, you can easily reach that amount of time all over again.
Become the saviour of the people or their destroyer, the choice is yours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game of the Year? Game of the Decade!, 20 Dec 2009
J. Walker "jameswalker85" (Morecambe, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ignore the 1-star reviews. Of the three, one has failed to install the expansions, one has run out of hard drive space (not Bethesda's fault), and one has an obvious bias for EA.

Fallout 3: GOTY is a must have for anyone who has played Fallout 3... or even if you haven't. However, I must stress, if you own Fallout 3 and any of the expansions already, it works out cheaper to download the packs (800 MSP each) than to buy this again. The 5 expansions come on a second disc which you must install first, exactly as if you downloaded the expansions from the Marketplace. They're not built-in to the game.

If you are new to Fallout, the series started out as an isometric RPG. Fallout 3 has departed from this, with a first-person perspective. If you have played the more recent Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion and Morrowind), then you should recognise the style immediately.

Set in and around a post-apocolyptic Washington DC, Fallout 3 puts you in the role of the Lone Wanderer. Born in Vault 101, you leave at age 19 to find your father, and ultimately try to save the 'Capital Wasteland' from the Enclave.

Operation: Anchorage places you in a simulation of the Chinese invasion of Alaska, and adds new weapons and equipment.

The Pitt gives you the chance to visit Pittsburgh (or, at least, what's left of it), to break up a slave ring.

Broken Steel changes the ending of the game, allowing you to keep playing an extension of the main storyline. Maybe more importantly, it adds new perks and raises the level cap to 30.

In Point Lookout, you can travel to the mysterious swamp-like seaside town in Maryland for a eerie, open-ended adventure.

Mothership Zeta sees you get abducted by aliens, where you can get your hands on powerful new weapons as you try to escape your captives.

You have to get your hands on this game if you haven't already. Game of the Year is an understatement. This is perhaps the best game of the decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cheapest way to own a classic, 16 Sep 2009
Iain Smith (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Don't believe what the earlier review said, Fallout 3 is a classic game that eveyone should have a try at playing; even if they don't normally like FPS or RPG games. The game is a little slow to get going, but quickly picks up the pace; I played the main game for 100 hours, I enjoyed it that much.

If you're still not sure, simply check the reviews of the original version of the Fallout 3 here at Amazon, then factor in the cost of the 5 DLC packs which are bundled in the Game Of The Year edition (£30+).

Basically, if you were planning on buying Fallout 3 and all of the DLC content then this will save you money. If you've already bought the game and some of the DLC then this will only really gain you the convenience of having all the DLC on a DVD instead of having to download them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loads of bugs - of the radioactive and the programming kind, 30 April 2010
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all let me just say that this game is amazing. It's similar in style of play to the other Bethesda game 'Oblivion: The Elder scrolls' and sits somewhere between a RPG (Role Playing Game) and a FPS (First Person Shooter) - There's plenty of reviews so I won't go into what the games about, read some of the others - what I'll do is point out what you need to know about this game - especially if you buy it.

OK - incredible as this game is it has one major flaw and that's there are a lot of bugs in it - and not just minor ones - I'd been playing for months and was close to completing the main quest when my save messed up and froze. Now I'm stuck and can't load my game. Frustrating isn't the word.

So what you need to know is - save constantly. And multiple times.

That said for all it's faults (the annoying programming bugs) you should still buy this game. It's quite something to behold. The amount of thought, care and attention to detail that went into it is staggering.

It's just a shame Bethesda didn't go the extra mile and tie up all the loose ends and make sure it worked. Infact I don't know any other industry that can get away with that - but for some reason it's OK for developers?

I would give this game 5 stars and really want to and think it deserves it... but how can you give five stars to something that doesn't work right? You can't is the answer.

That said - don't let me or my talk of bugs put you off - in the grand scheme of things, compared to the scale of the game - I guess there's relatively few. It's just they came at the most annoying time for me... right near completion! This game is still an incredible achievement and for all it's faults you'll still love it. Buy it now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously addictive, 16 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First time I played this game I didn't get on too well, but then I restarted it from the beginning once I'd got the hang of it, and now I love it so much that not a single other game has gone in my xbox for the last 3 weeks! I'm not even close to finishing now there are all the add-ons. One of my favourite aspects is the VATS way of auto-aiming. Great help for people like me who aren't the best shot when the baddies keep running around! The other brilliant aspect is that you can be good, neutral or evil. This is dependent on choices you make - some will give you good karma, some will give you bad. I'm currently a saint so I'm looking forward to finishing so I can start all over again and be evil!

Definately the best game I have played on the XBOX 360 since Fable 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallout... from my tattered social life, 20 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is very, very bad indeed. From around October of last year to February of this year, my friends did not see me! The reason, I was running around the war torn ruins of downtown Washington DC being chased by Feral dogs and ghouls right through to giant Scorpions and Super Mutants! This game is simply amazing and I'm so looking forward to once again losing myself to more misspent hours trotting around the wastes with 5 new extension packs! I do also think this will be the ideal way to save some much needed cash for Xmas by staying in at the weekend! If you've not taken the plunge already, I can't urge you enough - it truly is amazing. If you've been here before then I'm sure the chance to get all 6 games on one disc will be far too good an opportunity to pass up on? I'm personally looking forward to getting beyond level 20 finally!
P.S sorry my close friends - I'll see you in the new year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game i've ever played by far!, 10 July 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Fallout 3 is such a good game I can hardly know where to start, I just felt like I had to leave a review on it so people buy it! I like to think I am a decent gamer who plays a wide variety of genres and of all of them Fallout 3 has never been topped in my opinion. So many different ways to play, kill, talk, laugh, explore etc... Amazing idea, story and location and with the DLC included its one not to be missed. I got the original in 2008, and its still on my shelf today 2012. I cannot stress this enough how this game changed gaming for me and learned it wasn't just mindless killing or walking. It was FUN!

5.0 out of 5 stars crap...........to start with!!!, 21 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
well i started my fallout games with new vegas which i hated as it was just too hard so that was a waste of a game, until in the pub my friend was raving about how good new vegas was. After a long discussion i was informed that if i played fallout 3 i would then love new vegas. I borrowed fallout 3 to see if i could get into it which i couldn't, everything killed me and i had rubbish defences against attack etc. i persevered and by half an hour after i got to megaton i was addicted so bad i finish work and look forward to going home and playing it. i have played it for about a month now and it just seems to last for ever and i actually enjoy the story. there are parts where you are wandering for ages almost in the same way as red dead redemption but there are always plenty of things to kill on your way. if you are like i was and like cod run and kill stuff then you will probably hate this to start with but trust me it is worth waiting for it to come together and understand what its about and you wont put it down. all in all excellent game with a massive map and gameplay but does require time, dedication and an understanding wife. hope this helps :)

5.0 out of 5 stars my first ever 5 star game, 7 Aug 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
A review of the most tremendous single player .....ever.....
Ive gamed since the days of the spectrum, commodore 64 and origional atari.Im 32 and ive seen more games than alot of people and i know what i like. fallout 3 was a game i felt was not for me.I was one of those people that just couldnt get into oblivion so i left fallout 3 thinking adding guns just wouldnt do it for me.I recently borrowed F3 again and hated the slow start and the poor graphics and dull gameplay so i left it for ages.Recently i popped it into my 360 again and after the boring as hell start i was hooked like never before and i really mean like never before.After completing the main game i returned my mates disc and purchased this game of the year edition....bargain and i mean bargain. This game is quite simply the most obsorbing game i have EVER played on any format...ever.After completing most of the missions (not all as i havent found them all) and all 5 of the dlc maps I have clocked up over 72 hours. Once i got past the functional graphics and delved into the dungeon like hunter gatherer aspect i was hooked. Before i knew it my charecter was a powersuited lazer totting gunman and i had an arsenal in my own apartment in the game that would make 80's arnie shiver with fear.
If you buy this pack may i suggest playing the dlc's in this order-
complete main game-awesome and a must
-1 broken steel-raises the level cap from 20 to 30
-2 do operation anchorage-weakest of all the dlc i feel but worth it as to what you get at the end and the story fleshes out alot of what you see and hear in the main game.
-3 the pitt-short but has an interesting moral choice...what will you choose?
-4 point lookout-the best dlc and essential to find all locations i think...the chinese spy mission sticks out alot for me.
-5 mothership zeta-and last but not least...look yes it isnt the best one but after fighing aliens the mutants in the waste land are just irritating flys for you to swat so thats why i would suggest doing this last.
This game will ebb and flow depending on your good or evil choices in the game..or maybe you can walk that fine line.Shooting first will make you evil and it will get the job done faster but will it give you what you want or what you need? also if your well known for being aggressive people will treat you differently.
I cannot praise this game enough and it has been my BEST game ever... my passion for games started when games were on cassete tapes so i know what im talking about.

Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)