5.0 out of 5 stars A Kind of Long Wait
Published on 28 July 2009 by Mr. J. Wardle

2.0 out of 5 stars a not so kind of loving
I just don't understand the glowing reviews of this DVD on here. Yes, it was okay but dwarfs in comparison to the source novel and the 1962 film. It is no coincidence that the first novel 'A kind of loving' will always be the book that Stan Barstow is remembered for. I did not like what he did in the two sequels, esp once Ingrid is written out in 'Watchers on the...
Published on 16 Sept. 2010 by philip freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kind of Long Wait, 28 July 2009
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I have seen this series twice, once on ITV (repeats in the afternoon) in the nineties, and on Granada Plus on satellite about 10 years ago. I have read all 3 books which the full series is based upon; and is an excellent adaption of the books in 10 one hour episodes. The period of the times and the actors are perfect. Joanne Whalley, Susan Penhaligon, and Clive Wood are brilliant and faultless. The haunting music is also very good. There is only one question: Why has it taken so long to be released?
I have signed the petition online to have it released by Granada, and have obtained bootlegged copies online, but look forward to buying the authorized DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate version, 13 Jan. 2010
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
We have waited far too long for this made for TV version to come out. But it was worth waiting for. This is the ultimate version because the film (which is also good) only covers the first book. This version covers all three (A Kind of Loving,Watchers on the Shore and Right True End). I agree with another viewer who says the print is not brilliant but who cares?! It is the acting and the story that matters. The colours etc are perfectly adequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best TV series EVER!!!, 21 Jun. 2009
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I have just stumbled upon this (future) release and it is such good news that this series is finally getting a much belated release onto DVD.

I watched ever episode when it was first broadcast and this became my introduction to the kitchen sink genre which I now love with a passion (my favourite 2 films of all time are A Kind of Loving [1962] and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning [1960]). The TV adaptation of A Kind of Loving is superb and has the benefit of having the trilogy of stories written about Vic Brown - Stan Barstow's writing at his best!

The acting in the series is superb throughout. Clive Wood as Vic, and the wonderful charms of both a very young Joanne Whalley (later Whalley-Kilmer) and Susan Penhaligan (who was also in Bouquet of Barbed Wire).

This series did get a repeat viewing on SKY TV about 10 years ago and then was available as a 'bootleg' DVD which I bought a few years ago - still great but with inferior quality. I so much look forward to the release of this DVD set. Is it too much to hope that they may have a few extras with the set?

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, at last!, 11 Oct. 2009
N. Ward "nat - a fan" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is one the best series I have ever seen on television. First broadcast in 1981 I was allowed to stay up late (being 11 years of age) on a Sunday evening to watch it. Although at that age not understanding it all it enthralled me and led to a continued love of excellent drama about ordinary people and their lives set over a specific period. Likewise of other reviewers I caught it again about 4 years later when it was repeated in an afternoon, my Mum faithfully recording each episode on VHS for my brother and I. These VHS tapes have been watched and re-watched over the years with always the fear of them eventually breaking. I also signed the website led petition to get this fabulous series released on DVD and have only just now found it has been and am immediately purchasing it. The acting by all the leads, Susan Penhaligan, Joanne Whalley and Clive Wood is first class, with Wood being in every single scene of all ten episodes. Now it just remains for the books to be re-issued so I can purchase these again; my current books being held together by sellotape! Thank you so much for finally releasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long over due release, 16 July 2010
The Vic Brown book trilogy had a lasting impact on me as a teenager in the 1970's. As a working class boy from a northern city who wanted to learn about classical music and theatre Vic Brown was a bit of a literary hero for me.

I loved this series when first shown in 1982 Clive Wood is an actor who has always worked but never seems to have had the recognition he deserves, he is absolutely right as Vic far better than Alan Bates in the film. In fact all the performances are excellent look out for Clare Kelly as Mrs Rothwell.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm on team Ingrid!, 18 Jan. 2013
Richard Newbold (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Glad to watch and enjoy this, returning to Barstow's great work via the radio adaptation, repeated after his death in 2011, and of course the Vic Brown trilogy of novels - only the first of which, Loving, is available on Kindle so far.

I can shrug off the somewhat substandard quality of the transfer, and the "leisurely" and sometimes distinctly clunky pacing of the drama, as the authenticity of the novels as a slice of upwardly mobile, aspirant Yorkshire life in the 50s and 60s shines through. All helped by a superb performance by Clive Wood as the ubiquitous Vic, and a very young Joanne Whalley as an impossibly beguiling Ingrid, limbering up for a long career of scene-stealing as she shows currently as Pope's mistress Vanozza in the Borgias!

Interesting that it was Barstow himself who adapted the novels for TV, and fills out the drama very effectively by drawing in Vic's parents and family in a much more involved way. Ingrid, in particular, is given a voice within the space that the 10 fifty minutes episodes gave for character and plot development. Her helpless desperation as her marriage without foundations was finally crumbling is truly heart wrenching.

For me the main deficiencies of the books are the two-dimensional female characters and (I presume semi-autobiographical) fairly uncritical presentation of Vic, particularly his growing insensitivity and casual cruelty towards the enraptured Ingrid. Only the truly horrible Ma Rothwell, who possibly inadvertently comes across as a stronger, female equivalent of ineffectual, whiny, entitled Yorkshireman Vic seems to have any depth - and of course pours a fair amount of well-deserved grief on Vic's endlessly complaining head.

As with the trilogy, I feel the weakest part of the drama is its conclusion (The Right True End), with Vic's life in swinging 70s London now seeming pretty shallow and amoral, and the sudden prospect of a happy (for Vic) ever after conclusion bumped in over quite a litter of cynically discarded emotional wreckage.

Still, highly recommended - and with Barstow no longer with us, no chance of giving the lovely Ingrid a right true end I think she deserves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Curious mixture, 16 Feb. 2010
Mr. Wp Watt (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I have, recently, watched a number of series I really enjoyed at the time (Survivors from the 70's, A Kind of Loving from the 80's and Common As Muck from the 90's) and what struck me most was how they gradually became more realistic, technically, as time went by - even though they all aimed for realism. Like movie-goers in the 30's would accept studio sets even for outdoor shots, what we thought 'real' keeps changing. ANyway, back to this series. It's realism is, to us now I think, pretty self-concious and very calculated. As a study of sexual attitudes before the pill arrived, it highlights the dilemas facing young people very well (although everyone looks in their mid twenties). I remember thinking it quite daring. I obviously recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Awaited Treat, 16 Aug. 2009
Sandford "Sandy" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
A Kind of Loving is one of my all-time favourite novels, so I admit to being immediately favourably biased towards this particular dramatisation. I just love this series which deals with the whole trilogy by Stan Barstow, and gulped it down in 3 viewing sessions. No doubt I will wear it out, (as I have done with the 1962 film with Alan Bates and June Ritchie-sad as I am, I watch this at least once per week). I love the way this series captures the whole essence of the late 50's, moving on into the 60's. Great to see this series again, which brings back so many memories around the time of my first viewing on TV. For me a nice, cosy, well produced production, of a well-loved book

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip into the past :), 15 Oct. 2009
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I was so pleased when I saw this boxset on Amazon, I love Stan Barstow's books, and loved this series when it was originally on tv. Time hasn't done anything to change that view, I didn't want it to end! I would recommend this, a really good dvd set, great price too. Just hope they bring out A Raging Calm on dvd soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful Series, 14 Mar. 2010
Peggy Stone (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
An up-front confession: I actually invested in a region-free DVD player so that I could import and view this series in the US. It was a combination of two factors that pushed me to it. Clive Wood has recently become my favorite actor (though I've been aware of him since his charismatic Captain Smollett in the 1990 "Treasure Island") and I very much wanted more of him. And also, I had just finished reading the brilliant trilogy by Stan Barstow, which absolutely deserves to come back into print and should be regarded as one of the great works of the 20th century. Neither the series nor Clive Wood's performance disappointed me. The only limitations are technical ones (by modern standards) and the lack of subtitles that I would occasionally have liked in order to sort out some of the dialogue, especially the rapid-fire Yorkshire slang in pubs and office. The emotions, the realism and the uniformly fine acting need no translation. This is that rare work that makes the most ordinary of lives extraordinary in its detail and sympathy to its characters. You absolutely get inside Vic Brown's head - the more remarkable in that the books were all Vic's stream-of-consciousness and the series all external, dependent on Wood's performance - and understand Vic's choices, good and bad, feel his frustrations, share his hopes and joys and crushing disappointments, and root for his happiness. It is so novel, though it shouldn't be, to see a character actually taking pride in an ordinary job, wanting happiness in human connection, speaking up for the power of music and the arts without being an artist himself, trying to be decent even as he hurts himself and others in the process, but above all, wanting to be with someone who will bring out his best self. This is a great series, and I would recommend it without reservation.

A Kind of Loving: The Complete Series [DVD]