on 2 May 2012
unit is working fine after 18 months daily use of at least 2/3 times a day.Only last week there was a power surge and unit cut out and it started fine after reset button pushed.So from my personal experience i would certainly recomend it and will buy another once it does stop working.EDIT-item clicked off yesterday 03mar 2014 due to a power cut/surge but one click of the reset button and its up and running again fine.so thats about 3 and a half years now its been fine.also the remote is still working well.wife advised today 28jul 2014 that item not working properly.ordered a new one but when i got home i got it working again so will put new one away till needed.date now 11/08/2014 and unit starting to work intermitingly so have replaced with with another exact replacement.so thats about 4 years its been ok.
on 2 January 2013
When I first bought tho product it worked brilliantly. We used it to shut down our entertainment system at night and was great for switching off the Xmas trees. But... Then the remote control started operating intermittently (even with new battery) and after a year and a half it refused to switch on remotely. I kind of accepted that for a while, because I could use the manual switch on the unit, but then that failed. Not great Belkin, a potentially great product leaves me out of pocket and you with a tarnished brand. Consumer affairs programme here I come!
on 12 March 2012
I bought one of these less than a year ago but the remote part stopped working after about six months. After unplugging it for a while it seems to start working again so I assumed it was overloading. This could not have been as this was only used for AV and the total load was well under the rated 3kW. It is now for the bin and has failed to return the money spent on it or save the energy cost of its manufacture.

My suggestion, unless you really need to have the remote control, simply use a cheap surge protected plug block and turn it off at the plug, which will turn off everything, thus saving the standby power.
on 3 February 2012
Works well. Glad I bought the version without a timer too. The remote is a probably too tight fitting in its holder - but really that is minor.

Oh, actually I do have a moan. I think it has one design error. If you are wall mounting it as I was then the holes on the reverse, which you hook over dome headed screws to hold the thing to the wall, are the wrong way up. That's to say that if you had them oriented so that they locked into the narrow end of their bell shape with gravity helping to hold the thing in place then from the front the unit appears to be upside down as the logos and other writing on it assume it will be mounted the other way up, which, functionally, would be the wrong way up.

I've put mine up the wrong way round as a result (that is the writing and logo are the right way round when looking at it on the wall) and I expect therefore it will eventually slip of its mountings. I'm a tragic aesthete I know.

Hey ho.

Otherwise remote works fine and all is well and saves fiddling about under desk to turn off pc speakers which "hum" if left plugged in, meanwhile phone and desklamp can be left permanently powered up. Overall, OK, good.

Have had it a few years now and the remote switch on/off has ceased to work, so it now functions as an ordinary 8 socket extension. I think others have had this happen too. Reduced my rating to three starts for this.
on 26 February 2010
Very well made.

Makes it simple to turn off up to six electronic items by pressing a single switch. All those things consuming power can be turned off (and then back on) with a simple remote control.

I'm buying several more.
on 10 November 2012
I love the way this product looks and feels. When it arrived I was very pleased with it and keen to get into service. The remote switch looks great but is intermittent. If you're not right next to the item you are switching off you cannot be sure that it has worked. The range is weak and the remote signal gets confused easily.

What a shame. The unit looks and feels great but the experience is very frustrating. There are much better units available here on Amazon.

The Amazon service was excellent!
on 28 January 2012
All I can say about this product is great works great. looks great. great to conceal easy with remote control to turn on and off even when it is right under an other unit out of sight.I love it what I can say is use it right and it works try to be silly with it and you will only be your worst enemy don't expect it to work at the bottom of a cupboard then complain. it will turn anything you want off if they are pluged in the right place so if you are in a hurry short in the memory department got a lot on your plate so to speak just hit the remote and off they go no scrabbling behind the settle for the plugs. not bad A.
on 10 September 2010
Belkin 8-Sockets Conserve Surge Protector with Energy Saving Remote Control
I bought two of these in February 2010. I was delighted with them for six months after which both stopped working within a week of each other. I emailed Belkin three times but got nothing other than an acknowledgement. Amazon, as usual, were terrific. They are refunding me and I'll get two from a different manufacturer.
on 31 October 2012
I'm using this product to switch my computer equipment.
When it works I agree with everyone, it is perfect.
However there is a serious reliability issue with this product.
I bought one in April 2011 and it stopped working after 2 months. Like many others, the remotes stopped working. (changing the battery does not help), but using the remote close to the switch help for a few weeks then it stops altogether (manually or via the remote)
I replaced my first unit with a second one which lasted me over a year (16 months). Before having the same symptoms again.
Very disappointed with Belkin on this...
on 31 October 2013
I bought two of these in August 2010. One developed a fault within two weeks of purchase (the remote stopped working). This was replaced by Amazon.

Now, three years later (October 2013), another has developed a fault. It is not possible to turn off the switched sockets using either the remote or the physical switch on the device. Pressing the switch on the device now, rather bizarrely, turns off the LED for the always-on sockets (even though the sockets themselves do not turn off).

Amazon are now refusing to accept the return of this device, saying that I must prove that the device was faulty at the time of purchase, despite all of the other negative reviews on the site reporting the same problem.

So bottom line - don't waste your money on this expensive switch that will maybe only give you a few years of use (if you're lucky). Amazon seem to think that two years is an acceptable lifespan for this product.

See one answered question