5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Pro
I have been looking forward to the release of this edition.
I refused to upgrate from Windowns XP Pro to Vista on such poor remarks from everyone so I jumped in on the first day of release and went for the Pro version again.

Published on 18 Feb 2010 by Colin Gibson

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7
Published on 12 Nov 2009 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Pro, 18 Feb 2010
Colin Gibson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Upgrade Edition for XP or Vista users (PC DVD), 1 User (CD-ROM)
I have been looking forward to the release of this edition.

The advantage of the Pro version is, even for home users, is that you get so much more and if like me you have several computers and a newish TV that you can connect to a home network, the possibilities are much more broad.

With my kids and my wife and a dedicated 2nd comp for my website stuff we have a home network of 5 computers, we then have a Sony TV in the loungh which is connected to the network, even the Sony BlueRay DVD machine has a netword connection so this also is connected to the home network. (If you even look at the back of your Sky HD-TV box you will find a network connection for future expansion - so much more is being connected to other computers and linking together). Easily now I can pass files, photo, music whatever to my kids computers, you can connect a hard-drive to the network and everyone can back up files to it, even to an other computer in your kids bedroom easily. Dont ever let your comp go down now without at least 2 other backups in the house.

So apart from Win7 being just fantastic as a interface with your comp, this version after 3 weeks working with it is just so really really brill. Miles better than XP and that is still cracking!

The way I did my upgrade, well not an upgrade really but a total install from scratch.
Back up your documents/important files, I then did a format of the hard drive I was going to use to install Win7 onto so it would be fresh/new. Installed clean version of Win7 to the hard drive and then re-copied my documents and files back.

Win7 Pro comes with 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's. I installed the 64 bit version as its the future and it can recognise more memory than 3.5gb. I have now installed 4gb extra memory and run at 8gb. Check if you are thinking of the Home version as it is 32bit version only and as such can only read a max of 3.5gb. Win7 also lets you add a USB memory devise as a booster. Stick in a USB module (I put in a 4gig stick into a spare USB port at the back of the computer) this is then used to swop/page files to by windows to boost performance as it can read USB memory cards faster than hard drives.

The only problem I had with the 64 bit version was (a) Flash on websites do not work. Wait though cos Win 64 version installs a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows Explorer 8. So even from your 64 bit version of Win7 you can run Explorer 32bit version and full flash content is on site. Adobe website says it is working on a 64 bit version of flash that will be available soon, then you will be able to run the 64 bit version of Win Explorer and get flash content. The speed of Win7 64bit is the future and more and more programmes will be formulated in 64 bit format for super speed. There was 1 other slight problem with a Family Tree programme I was running but the site had a 64bit fix and now runs great.

Install of the 64 bit version went like clockwork, I did not have to download a single system driver and I can honestly recommend Win7 Pro to anyone.

I have heard some horror stories on other reviews here but I just cannot comprehend those remarks as I just think this programme is FANTASTIC.

I give Win7, 7 out of 7.

Thanks.
Colin.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good OS but is installation from XP worth it?, 16 Feb 2013
Mr. R. B. Wegmann "swba99" (Europe) - See all my reviews
Well knowing that Microsoft are going to discontinue support of its XP operating system I had prepared myself for this by reading the bumph on it. You can download a program which analyse your XP system with programmes and thereby prepare the conversion. Also the Windows Easy Transfer is helpful. But.........
Yes, there always is a but and here it is. The conversion starts with using WET collecting all your private files into a readable file for Windows 7. The next step is to take a deep breath and put the Windows 7 installation disc into the drive. You have been adviced by the upgrade program to have your programme discs available along with codes etc. The advisor also tells you to choose the Custom and there by clean installation. Everything worked well up to this point! When the installation finishes the update sequence is supposed to start. Oh yeah, but with the Wi-Fi adaptor driver not working despite update I had to find an Ethernet cable to connect to the router. Now it starts to download updates by the minute! First crash! reboot and try again. More updates installed! This went on for a couple of days, but still crashing now and then. Of course Microsoft will have no reports on this as the reporting system cannot reoport back due to the system freezing! After having installed most of my progrmammes it was time to install the printers. My latest samsung CLP-320 worked fine, but my old faithful HP laserjet 4L would not as, despite the advisor saying otherwise, have no driver for Windows 7.
Well, long story! It is worth updating to Windows 7 as it is a very functional OS, but be prepared to lose out on old programmes and ancilliary devices. And take your time!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7, 24 Jan 2010
Seems to be a better product than is predecessor (Vista) which had a number of problems running older software. I don't think there are many benefits at the moment over Windows XP so if you are running XP satisfactorily then stick with it for a while yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than vista, 24 Oct 2009
Vista was a good operating system but had problems that could cripple ones head! This new Windows 7 version is a nice polished cleaner product that doesn't hog your system's memory and its directx 11 is a nice bonus as it enhances the graphics of your system. The install is an easy process, and a internet connection is needed to recieve any updates from microsoft. I did a upgrade install, which is an install from vista buissness to windows 7 proffessional, though a clean install option is given. Be sure to backup your system before you install(you need a external hard drive or lots of DVDs as backup takes up huge space) and the install software will check if your system can even install windows 7(which you should check before buying) and after a few minutes of checking any software conflicts, which a few came up (like itunes), the install process br=egan. This takes a couple of hours which you are not prompted to do anything so just leave it be as it installs. just make sure your system is not sceduled to go into standby or anything. After install i checked out the features which were great! stuff like the taskbar and windows media player looked cool and the system seemed faster doing things. Another thing new is the media center which is beyond cool and takes time seting up but its worth it. invest in a tv tuner and you reap its benefits.
overall great features like windows peek and shaking are alright if not heartstopping! windows flip 3D is still there along with other vista stuff. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-Peasy, 1 Dec 2009
I was a little sceptical about upgrading from XP to Windows 7 because of the data and file backup but went ahead, anyway it couldn't have been easier Microsoft have a small program you can download for free that will back up all you settings and data once that is done just install Windows 7 the difference is really noticeable my whole system runs more smoothly and is noticeably quicker.
The extras that come with Windows 7 are really useful, overall I found Windows 7 to be similar to Vista a little more refined and a whole lot quicker and for those reasons I give it a 5 star rating..

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7, 12 Nov 2009
When I bought this from Amazon their website stated it was an update for XP, which I was using. It was only after I had loaded it, with some compatability problems, I realised the box only said Vista update. I have since learnt that to updrade from XP I need a full install and this product does not provide this. I have been mislead by Amazon and would advise any current XP users to avoid it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good not great., 28 Jan 2010
S. Ramalingam "SR" (SW London) - See all my reviews
This is definitely a product evolution.

User interface is similar to Vista, Windows 7 continues to see programs crash (outlook especially) if you have too much running (I have a highly spec'd Sony notebook) so it's not perfect or as stable as my Mac.

However, I do notice that programs don't freeze as often as they did under Vista which is something.

Therefore a very useful update to Vista, particularly for business users of netbooks. Don't expect too much though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an Upgrade from XP, 10 May 2014
Michael Spencer (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This product does not upgrade from XP to Windows 7.

It is thus not correctly described by the vendor who describe it as an Upgrade Edition for XP or Vista.

To install over XP you need to do a clean install - better to pay less and buy Windows 7 Professional from Coastal Software for half the price.

If you look very carefully at the product image you will see that it is designed for Vista. The vendor should make this clear.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware device driver updates needed, 22 Feb 2010
Having upgraded from Vista Business to Windows 7 professional I thought all was well and things working quicker when I got a dreaded blue screen of death! It appears this was caused by my drivers not being up to date enough to cope with Win 7 - my friendly local computer company updated everything for me and now it is working fine. Haven't really noticed much difference to Vista but have not had much time to play yet! We'll see giw things go....

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Upgrade, 6 April 2010
Thommo (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Having finally tired of the frustration of running a slow Windows Vista on my Sony Vaio laptop I bought the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade. Although not cheap and taking far longer to install than I had been led to believe, the upgrade has been a complete success and my laptop now whizzes through its tasks without using all the available memory. I just wish I had upgraded months ago and saved all that time staring at Vista's "spinning wheel".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›