5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrading from Vista
Having reached the point of almost tearing my hair out due to the sheer inadequacy of Vista, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

Published on 26 Oct 2009 by Lager-lout

3.0 out of 5 stars A Working Version Of Vista
If I had upgraded from XP, I would have given this product 5 stars, it really is a very good OS - easy to install, easy to use, every program seems to run on it first time (so far!) and there's some very nice new features.

Published on 3 Nov 2009 by Buff

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrading from Vista, 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Upgrade Edition for XP or Vista users (PC DVD), 1 User (CD-ROM)

The whole process ran very smoothly and only took around three hours from start to finish. However, the really amazing thing now is that I've yet to find an app that worked with Vista but doesn't work with W7. For my money, I now have a fast and stable box which no longer freezes at the drop of a hat and actually shuts down when asked.

So, on the one hand I'm left wondering why Microsoft didn't release a service pack for Vista which addressed all the faults that W7 seems to have fixed, whilst on the other, I'm thrilled to bits with Windows 7. Shame on you, Microsoft, for not supporting your Vista users.

Whilst certain differences in the new interface such as 'Libraries' may take some getting used to, if you're thinking of upgrading from the loathesome Vista, simply do not hesitate.

5.0 out of 5 stars faster than XP, 30 Oct 2009
Upgraded from XP to Windows 7 in an afternoon as from XP you have to do a clean install. Windows PC transfer and upgrade advisor not really that useful. Upgrade advisor said the only issue was my network card. The reality was the network card works perfectly but my Zoom ADSL modem won't work as the software is incompatible. Windows PC transfer is a waste of time, you might just as well copy your files to a USB disc manually and export your browser settings. Photoshop Elements' catalogue didn't work as the file locations were different so this had to be imported from my backup. Windows Live Mail is different to Outlook Express so manually copying the emails, contacts and accounts was required.
Once everythings installed, Windows 7 works just great. It boots a little faster than XP but shuts down much faster. Takes about 650MB RAM with just the operating system and AVG anti virus running. Jump lists and the way the task bar works really speeds up everyday tasks and snapping windows side by side is very handy.
Well worth 65 and an afternoon's effort in upgrading.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Working Version Of Vista, 3 Nov 2009
Buff (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews

So, it's perhaps a little harsh that I have only given it 3 stars, but that is purely because, in my mind, I already bought this product 2 years ago when I bought a new desktop with Vista installed. There is very little to differentiate it from Vista, apart from one big thing - it works!

My experience with Vista wasn't all that bad, but I have had constant explorer freezes over recent months and since August, Windows Update hasn't worked at all and therefore upgrading (or re-installing XP) was my only option (I'd tried to fix the problems without any luck). I therefore justified the cost, especially as I thought I might be getting something new as well.

80 (or 65 through Amazon) is a lot of money to have to spend because the previous product didn't work. I'm not sure any other company would get away with this - if you'd bought a brand new car and it constantly didn't work and repairs didn't help, would you just buy a newer version!?!

Anyway, I did, and I'm happy that it works, happy I got a good price through Amazon, but not happy with Microsoft for not just releasing a further service pack - for this is all this product really is.

As previously mentioned, there are some nice new features (especially if you are coming from XP). The Aero interface is nice to look at, they've added the Snap, Peek and Shake features since Vista, which are all ok, but nothing groundbreaking. The taskbar thumbnails are better than before, especially when you can actually interact with them when using Windows Media Player or iTunes

Windows Media Center is better than before, as is for the most part Windows Media Player - a couple of items have been removed at my annoyance, and the gadgets are a bit better, as they don't have to be on the sidebar (which has been removed) so can be anywhere on the desktop.

But all in all, the biggest improvement is that it works - no freezes, no crashes, no blue screens of death. Hopefully, with future service packs (the first due in December) this will continue to be the case.

So if you want a version of Vista that works, get Windows 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Upgrade, 7 Dec 2009
Wow! After my nightmare experience with Vista I was apprehensive to say the least! However, I followed the advice, checked my system, put in the Windows 7 upgrade disk and off it went. No problems at all and still perfect after several weeks. What a difference. I recommend it to all who found Vista too hard to handle, it is much cleaner, less "clever" for the sake of it and much easier for the technically inexperienced to manage. Money well spent. But what to do now I don't have to fix Vista every five minutes?

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Edition, 16 Nov 2009
David Dalziel (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
My PC with Vista was grinding to a halt and crashing regularly. This had become more and more frequent and I was about to bin it and switch to a Mac. I thought after reading the hype about Windows 7 that I would try it and see if it improved my digital life. At the price offered on Amazon, it was a much cheaper option.

I made a clean install, (recommended), which went smoothly and quickly. No hiccups at all. Make sure you back up all your important files on an external drive or similar first. Keep all your program discs handy for reinstalling software and licence keys.

I was amazed at how fast my PC is running with Windows 7. It's fast, much faster than Vista ever could be. It found all my devices and drivers for all my peripherals and I am now wondering how I put up with Vista for so long. My hard drive is now quieter as 7 does not stress it as much as Vista did. It starts up and shuts down quickly now.

I had read that some initial installations had problems but I did not experience any. I think Microsoft have sorted those out now.

If you are a Vista user and having similar problems then you must consider this upgrade.

I am mad that Microsoft did not offer Vista users a cheaper or free update for the pain they have caused us. I would have given 5 stars as this is a great product but I am only giving 4 stars for having to pay Microsoft for another OS.

I highly recommend this to Vista users who are suffering as I did. This is how an OS should be. In the background causing no trouble.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome 'Upgrade', 5 Nov 2009
I've been a Vista user for the past year and I've hated every day of it. It sucked up a full gig of RAM, had some pointless and downright baffling features, required constant upgrading to keep it from dying on a daily basis and turned the highest spec PC into a lumbering dog. Thank Gates, then, for 7!

Well, sort of. It does have its niggles: awful sound effects; doesn't support Outlook; peripheral drivers (and iTunes, bizarrely) need reinstalling. But these are minor. Easily dealt with and by no means deal breakers.

What might be a deal breaker, however, is the fact that, aside from its fancy new taskbar (which is fantastic once you get used to it), 7 is little more than XP with some graphical tweeks. Almost everything that differentiated Vista (and made it slow and pathetic) has been removed, but seemingly nothing has been put in its place.

Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it begs the question; if you're running XP (or have the ability to 'downgrade' from Vista), is it really worth forking out the cash for a new taskbar? I'd say not.

On the other hand, if, as I was, you're stuck with Vista, do not hesitate to upgrade to 7. It's simpler, smoother, faster and better in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW Win 7, 23 Oct 2009
Mr. Gary Meddick (UK) - See all my reviews
I recived my pre order today 23/10 (upgrade V). Within 2 Hrs I have completed a clean install from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit. I can not beleive how easy it all was. I have installed AVG free, Office 2007, live essentals and my printer works on 64bit no driver issues it just happened on its own!! Unbelivable as with Vista it took nearly a day to get the printer to talk to the OS!

This OS is quick and Quiet my case fans are turning at a sedate pace with no noice, with Vista they would turn at 10000rpm!
The OS is is intuitive with some great features.

One other point if like me you partition your HDD then when you clean install Win 7 it leaves all your files in place, so long as they are not on the System Drive usealy C. So yes back up, its always a good ideal but when the Win 7 OS starts all your files are still in place. Re-load your softwear and your ready to go.

So far so good, well done MS 10 out of 10. This is what I should have had with Vista.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 out of 7, 23 Nov 2009
David Mace (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have been a Windows XP user since it was first released so I was reluctant to upgrade to software that had not been 'put to the test'. But, the write-ups were good so I decided to go for it. I am so pleased that I did.
Installation takes time but is so easy. It went without a glitch. It is recommended that if upgrading from XP to back-up all of your data files to external media, and so you must, as so much can be lost if the upgrade goes wrong. But I was pleasantly surprised that all of my data and settings including email messages, links, address book etc were reinstated to the places I expected to find them. 'They did not need reinstalling'.
Using Windows 7 is a breeze. It starts and closes down so much quicker than XP. It's so easy to learn and to use. Jump Lists, the tool bars and Libraries make working quicker and smoother. Even the data back-up programme makes saving your data a simple process.
One warning! When I ran the compatability utility that you are advised to used to identify hardware and software that will/will not work under Windows 7 it told me that everthing was compatable. Not so! My TV card, Epson RX700 printer Pinnacle Studio 9 did not work. I will have to replace my TV card and upgrade to Studio 14 but Epson were very quick in advising me to use the Vista driver, which work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade Vista to Windows 7, 28 Oct 2009
Installed the upgrade on my Mesh desktop and it took approx 2 hours to load. First impressions good recognised my Epson printer and scanner, different to Vista. Desktop backgrounds are great if you like that sort, I copied my Vista one in preference. The Bootup time is slightly slower than Vista in spite of all the hype, I suppose it depends on what the computer is used for. Mine is used mainly for Home Office Microsoft products. The compatibility function which offers a great range of past operating systems simply does not work in my attempts and I am no newcomer to computers. My recently purchased Serif software was not transfered completely and I spent hours trying to restore it. An old favourite of mine Creatacard was impossible to load. I have also installed it on my Toshiba laptop and I am maintaining a low load factor for that machine until Microsoft sort this out. Finally I wish I had left my machines with Vista which operated very nicely. The sting in the tail is that this upgrade is only for one computer and not as one would assume one user. let the buyer beware as there is no warning except in the license terms only noticed once purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the upgrade, 18 Oct 2009
Windows 7 is essentially the best of both worlds: It is faster and runs on lower system requirements like XP did but it retains the improved visual effects of Vista.

Can see why people may have been Anti-Vista cause of its rough start (Even though its now been stable for a good while and is better than XP in my opinion).

Windows 7 does not have the issues that Vista had which tarnished its reputation. Its stable and works really well.

Have seen people asking what's the point in getting this version instead of the standalone. Well boys and girls did you happen to notice the 2 words "Upgrade Edition" in the title? meaning that you will be able to "Upgrade" to it. It allows anyone who already has a valid Vista/XP licence to upgrade to it. If your a Vista Basic/Home Premium user it allows you to save all of your files and programs similar to what the upgrade from XP to Vista was. If your an Ultimate Vista user then you would need to do a clean install unless you get the Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Edition (Theres a link to upgrade paths at the top).

For everyone who doesn't keep up with the news: You are now able to upgrade to Windows 7 within the EU. Microsoft did originally remove IE from the bundle but later on changed there minds and now you will have a screen in the installation process asking you which browser you wish to install.

Windows 7 is the latest and best OS available and there is no reason not to upgrade to it from Vista and very little reason not to do so from XP.

160.00