4.0 out of 5 stars This is different!
Well I'm 51 and still appreciate all genres of modern music, and I really like this album. I first saw and heard The XX on 'Later with Jools Holland' and their atmospheric music just leapt out of the TV at me. Next day, after checking out more of their tracks on You Tube I bought the album. I really like this music for its innovative and fresh feel. Yes okay it's simple...
Published on 30 Nov 2009 by I'mdowntheshed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected it to be great, it wasn't
I really thought this was going to be a great, exciting CD which broke new ground. Perhaps I'm just old and boring, I may be, but that's also how I found this CD. Shame really.
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars At last a cure for Insomnia!, 9 Oct 2010
C. A. Bartram "bartdch" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
After ordering the new Mercury Prize winning album I was expecting great things!
What I got was a collection of overhyped, average, soporific songs. The word ennui
sums up this wearisome album, of which the only highlight is penultimate track "Night Time".
I fear that XX may go the same way as many previous Mercury winners i.e. into oblivion!

3.0 out of 5 stars good for midnight, 18 Nov 2009
Chan Pang (hk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
the intro of the album is great! but honestly it's a totally different type of music with the other songs inside the album. that not match, and it's reason why i buy this album too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
The most trumped up album of the year, if I wanted to hear a bad impression of early 'New Order' I'd go and see 'New Order', they've got that area covered already. Oh and the vocalists are dreadful, other than that it's no wonder it won the mercury (brits 2) prize...

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great...but not great either., 5 Nov 2010
I. P. J. Brayshaw "Big Fish" (Seville, Spain.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Somebody told me this was great. Somebody told me that it's simplicity was it's charm. Somebody told me that it had won the mercury music award...
Lets be honest, it's no fun getting old. Not when you love music and not when you come from a country with the richest pop music heritage in the world. Not when you hear new music that sounds like an early eighties spitting image parody without the humour. At least the Darkness did it for laughs.. and at least the Darkness could play.
Little wonder that my generation and later generations still eulogise about the Beatles and Queen if this is the kind of music that wins prizes.
So the question is;
Am I getting old or is this just bad ?
Answer; Yes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately overrated., 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Having heard one of The XX's tracks on TV, and finding overwhelmingly positive reviews online - I bought their album. 2 or 3 tracks on this album are worth listening to - 'Crystalised' is excellent, and I would also reccommend 'Infinity' (though it has definitely borrowed heavily from 'Wicked Game' by Chris Isaacs).

Unfortunately I was not so impressed by the remainder of the CD. Even on first listen I found myself skipping through most of their songs fairly quickly, and I am sad to say it did not improve with further attempts.

I am staggered by the amount of 4 and 5 star reviews on offer - outside of Crystalised, which is admittedly very good, there is precious little invention about The XX's material.

The biggest disappointment is the amount of potential that song shows - the rest are regrettably monotonous and dull.

1.0 out of 5 stars Guitar tuning.......the album, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
I guess you've got to hand it to them. Status Quo and AC/DC had to master three chords to make a career in music. The XX have managed to make a prize winning album using three notes. There's minimalism and then there's the XX, who've succeeded in hoodwinking London poseurs and the pseuds of the music press with their take on tuning a guitar. Just in case people reading this think they're incredibly different I suggest you check out the likes of The Cocteau Twins and early Cure on Spotify before going into raptures over this bunch of chancers and their one half formed idea. A new level in boredom has been created. Nice one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Album Of The Year? That's so X!, 19 Sep 2010
J. Burgess "John Burgess" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
... honestly, folks. When an album this terrible gets voted album of the year, you have to despair. The music is naive, the words pathetic. A group of eight-year olds could have done better. Anything - ANYTHING - released this year, is better than this drivel. What a waste of money ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreal.., 2 Sep 2009
Mr. J. Thomas (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
A journey of blissfulness and perfection. Won't be disappointed, the cross over of different genres makes this such a diverse and neat little package!

ARRAY(0xadec0798)

xx (Digipack)
xx (Digipack) by The xx (Audio CD - 2009)