4.0 out of 5 stars This is different!
Published on 30 Nov 2009 by I'mdowntheshed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected it to be great, it wasn't
I really thought this was going to be a great, exciting CD which broke new ground. Perhaps I'm just old and boring, I may be, but that's also how I found this CD. Shame really.
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars This is different!, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Well I'm 51 and still appreciate all genres of modern music, and I really like this album. I first saw and heard The XX on 'Later with Jools Holland' and their atmospheric music just leapt out of the TV at me. Next day, after checking out more of their tracks on You Tube I bought the album. I really like this music for its innovative and fresh feel. Yes okay it's simple and laid back (brilliant music to relax by), but it's a completely new and different sound, and that's the genius of it. I hope their recent tour supporting Florence and The Machine gives them the extra exposure they richly deserve.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice change from the ordinary, 5 April 2013
W. Boon (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
I first heard about XX from an magazine article. This - their first album - is received lots and lots of hype. I'm always suspicious of this but decided to give it a listen. I can honestly say it's great. I now hear the title instrumental track all over the place - in ads and on TV programs. My only complaint with this is the track(7-8 I think) that, near the end, raises the volume of my speakers to unnecessarily loud level. This is bad. Their second album is very much like this so if you want more of the same you could buy that too. Although, it's still not as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
Reaally impressed arrived super fast, the friend i brought it for loved it and it was an easy gift, thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Music, 27 Dec 2012
M. Sroka "m." - See all my reviews
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
Awesome band, music and wonderful compilation. My favourite album from the XX. Worth recommending! You will enjoy every minute of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 4 Dec 2012
Mr. M. T. Baylis "martini94x" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
This album is absolutely beautiful to listen to. This new genre of indie soul is going to be the next big thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Good, 28 Aug 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Scatty and Gritz (the cubs) brought this one home
from school and have been playing nothing else over
the past week. They've dumped their hoodies (it was
red bandanas before that!) and reverted to basic black.
They also seem to be reading Schopenhauer again
- their Mother's influence not mine I hasten to add.
I seem to have found something to like in this music too.

The xx are a somewhat po-faced but very talented
little combo from South London. This debut collection
of 11 compositions is relentlessly and uncompromisingly
single-minded in its sustained intensity.
It's hard to imagine them sitting around together
drinking cider and watching Father Ted re-runs.
This is much more Jacques Brel and absinthe territory !

Seriousness becomes them.

The combined vocal contributions of Ms Croft and
Mr Sim create a charmingly laconic ambience.
There is a total absence of frenzy. In fact nothing
much happens throughout in the nicest possible way.

'Infinity' is a splendid composition. The closest
thing to a climax in the entire project.
The spirit of Hank Marvin might well be smiling in the wings.

'Night Time' is a marvelously morose little ditty
and for my money its starkly economical, pared-down,
minimalism is the album's gloomy highlight.

Jamie Smith's beats and Baria Qureshi's well-judged
keyboard interventions are entirely complementary to
the centrally positioned Croft/Sim double-act.

Concluding track 'Stars' made me remember acutely
what it was like to be young and intense and delirious
with dark and serious dreams.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Immersion from the word go., 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Now this is a rare gem. As opposed to alot of the mainstream generic sound we listen to; which even though I do love and appreciate. It does get a little lifeless and just plain bland. This is so refreshing as it requires you to engage with it just like you would with a good book or film. The bold elusivness of the case alone just encourages you to interprete it as you will. Every song sounds individual and flowed like individual stories to me. The album was sort of like a journey that you embark on. Sort of shaped to your narrative. Its powerful and atmospheric. Like "Fantasy" in particular is just deep, dark and foreboding. Ultimatley I just feel the album is an intense emotionally charged ride but at the same time equally; you can just kick back to it and relax. I would recommended it to anyone who is looking for a unique experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
I heard XX for the first time on the Radio 1 live stage performance shown on the telly recently. They played 4 tracks from their first album X (2009)and 4 from their new album coexist (2012). Lots of xs around here. I really enjoyed that performance and as it was a new sound for me I thought I would buy. And for a fiver through amazon including delivery I thought I couldn't go wrong buying the CD rather than downloading a few tracks. Out of the 11 tracks, I'd say I now like 8 a lot which is pretty good for an album, it still gets a lot of playtime in my car and home. The CD cover is a booklet which has all the lyrics. The music itself is classed as indie whatever that means, but for me it is some great raw guitar and vocals together with percussion and drum sounds. It's not a complicated sound which I guess means it can be readily reproduced on stage which is always good. Yep I'm really enjoying this album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected it to be great, it wasn't, 30 Oct 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Headphone Candy, 3 Sep 2009
AK-87 (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
This album is perfect commuter escapism. There are only about one or two albums a year which I can just listen to over and over again and this is my 2009 record. This is just one of those albums which just sounds better through headphones on the move. I wouldn't go as far as saying that this album can be grouped in the chill out genre but it is fantastically peaceful.

This time last year I was addicted to Burial's 'Untrue' and I can honestly say that if you enjoyed that record for its ability to make you lose yourself in its minimal and haunting sound, you'll love 'xx'. Interestingly, this young group met at the same London school which was attended by Hot Chip, Four Tet and Burial himself. The female and male vocalist harmonise and complement each other superbly on every track but, for me, stand outs are 'VCR', 'Basic Space' and the recent iTunes single of the week, 'Crystalised'. The smooth female vocals make me imagine a beautiful love child of Bjork and Zero 7's Sia Furler (you can decide whether you think that is a good combination or not!)The bassist creates a ghostly but melodic rhythm which features throughout which reminds me of Massive Attack's 'Danny The Dog'. What really impresses me is the way the group have maintained a constant and original sound without feeling the need to throw in a few tracks to change the mood. Some may dismiss this album as monotonous but the whole thing works for them and it flows as if it could be a film score much like Burial's 'Untrue'.

If you are looking for a refreshing change to the chart topping indie groups and wish to support genuine young British talent you should BUY this album. You will not be disappointed.

ARRAY(0xa3d1a0d8)

xx (Digipack)
xx (Digipack) by The xx (Audio CD - 2009)