5.0 out of 5 stars A return to the form of old
Published on 10 Mar 2003 by Mr. A. Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars LEVELLING THE BLAND [ Another mediocre effort].
Quite frankly, and with respect, I cannot for the life of me understand what the previous reviewers are blathering on about. As a once hardcore Levs fan myself I can only put it down to an insatiable desire for new product and a desperate yearning for this once great band to set our hearts ablaze once more. It smacks of people forcing themselves to hear what really isn't...
Published on 6 Oct 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to the form of old, 10 Mar 2003
Mr. A. Rogers "Cricket fanatic" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I first bought Green Blade Rising with a hint of worry after the shock of Hello Pig but as soon as I played the album I was drifting back to the days of Zeitgeist and Levelling the Land. This album certainly isn't the Levellers best album, a rating I reserve for Levelling the Land, but it is definately an excellent album, both Four Winds and Come On send a shiver down my spine when I hear them and they are even better live. I recommend this album to anyone who likes music which has a message other than "I love you" or "my life sucks" as other "bands" like to say, the music is genious and the lyrics are also very strong and speak to those who listen altho not as hard line as in past albums. All I can say is buy this album and if you like it then go see them live as they are the best band I have ever seen live, a spine-tingling jumping experience for all.

4.0 out of 5 stars return to form, 26 Sep 2002
This review is from: Green Blade Rising (Audio CD)
After their often overlooked, and quite frankly dissapointing last album, Hello Pig, this has come as a bit of a surprise. If like me you thought we had lost the good old Levellers for good I am pleased to inform you that Green Blade Rising is a rousing return to form. With energetic fiddling, blazing chorus lines and Mark's voice in top nick, this is definitley an album for the collection. Already established live favourites such as Come On, Pretty Target and the brilliant Wild as Angels, are here along with the usual mystic sounds and campfire protest songs. The album hasn't left the stereo since i brought it and long may it prosper. The Levellers are back... thank God!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better!, 29 Oct 2002
Having been a levellers follower for the last 10 years i am pleased to say green blade rising was way overdue!! Not the best album they have released but a close 3rd behind weapon called the word and levelling the land. The music is as awseome as ever, a vast variety of songs, fast and slow, What was hello pig all about?? Compared to hello pig you will be jumping as the first track is played. tracks 1-4 are superb, Come on been track 4 which hits as been the best initially but like all great levellers songs more than one listen is needed and it grows on you listen by listen....Then they all sound great. The only disapointment is the lyrics are maybe not as strong as on other albums, but the music makes up for it. If you want to buy an album by the levellers you will not be dissapointed with green blade rising, i highly reccommend it to any true lev fan, It feels and sounds like the levellers of old....thank god wev'e got all the comercialisation out of the way and the real levellers are back.!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop your whingeing..., 11 Nov 2002
Ok, firstly this is a great Levs' album.I seem to be in a minority when I say that Levelling the Land is not my favorite album.That minority would become smaller if I said I liked Hello Pig.One thing that's always impressed me about them is their ability to change their sound.I still love the folk punk songs of the first two records and they still sound just as fresh live but musically, Hello Pig was genius. A great listen and about as far removed from their earlier stuff as could possibly be. Green Blade Rising retains the best of both worlds.Its got folk, its got (slightly watered down) punk and a lot of beautiful music. It's also written by a bunch of blokes who are now in their late 30's.Of course lyrically it is less political. It's also a lot more personal. Unfortunately, unlike many of the fanbase. The Levs' seem to realise that just shouting about how bad the world is, is not going to suddenly make it a better place. It's what you do that counts.
I'm certain the Levellers could release happy/ still angry/slightly anarchic songs till Hell freezes over.However they've chosen not to. Perhaps some people should ask themselves why instead of accusing them of selling out, everytime they release anything that doesn't sound like 'Sell Out'?
This has become a bit of an album of my summer. I hope it can become an album of your winter!
Thanks Mr Leveller

5.0 out of 5 stars Green Blade Rising, 21 Oct 2002
Compare Green Blade Rising to the early Levellers classics and 3 or 4 stars might be fair. If I compare Green Blade Rising to the other 20 or 30 albums I have bought this year, it is the only one that I am still really enthusiatic about 4 weeks later. Thats the real measure of a 5 star album for me.
"Come on", "Walks with angels" and "Pretty Target" are for me as good as anything from their past. Its takes a few listens to get into, which might explain why it has had less airtime than it deserves. I seem to remember "Levelling the Land" also took a few listens before I really enjoyed it!
The anger of the early work has been replaced to an extent with pragmatism. Once of the differences between being 20 something and 30 something I observe. The message has not changed, while the delivery has evolved. The folk/rock/punk edge is ever present.
Its is by far the best CD I have spent my money on this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Levellers, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Green Blade Rising (MP3 Download)
Probably one of the best albums I have bought. Somehow missed it with all the others that I have but it is now a firm favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Levellers Are Back!!, 24 Sep 2002
This review is from: Green Blade Rising (Audio CD)
Maybe I shouldn't review on my first day of hearing GBR. However, the sheer quality means that I must.
Hello Pig was a big let down for me, even as a die-hard levs fan, but this record has LEVELLERS tattooed right through the middle of it.
Four Winds lets you know that the Levs really are back in business and Pretty Target and Come On are superb.
The whole record oozes quality, you won't be skipping any tracks on this - Wild As Angels will have your foot tapping and you'll swear you've heard it somewhere before.
Wake the World is a chilled finish to a superb return for the Levellers. If I could award any more stars than 5 then I would!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this album, 26 Sep 2002
This review is from: Green Blade Rising (Audio CD)
It's been a while coming but it is finally here... a Levellers album of old, brand new! if you have seen the band live recently you may have already heard some of the tracks but don't let that put you off listening to this beauty from the Brighton lads. in my opinion the less said about Hello Pig the better (apart from a few exceptions: HBRevolution) so imagine my glee when I stuck on Green Blade Rising and the Levellers we all know and love came blazing through my speakers with their form of old. Displaying all the strings on their fiddle, songs for the campfire, sounds of the mystic and huge chorus' this album is a brilliant return to form. The first single Come On is magic but the bell of the ball has to be Wild as Angels - already a live favourite and it loses none of its umph on this the Levellers 7th studio outing. Go and buy this album... you know you deserve it. I promise you wount be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better with each listen, 30 Sep 2002
On first hearing this album, I was not too impressed, with all the songs sounding a little weak. However after giving it some time I am really impressed. The album has the feelgood factor of previous Lev's songs like "Haven't Made It" and "Far From Home" and is quite laid back.
A return to the characterisitc Levs sounds of their earlier work and yet this album has a character of its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 17 Dec 2002
By A Customer
If you enjoyed Zeitgeist, Levelling the Land or Weapon Called the word for the music and the vocals you will enjoy this album. I particularlly enjoy 'belivers' vocally.Pretty Target, Come On and Aspects are all top drawer Levellers. Wild as angels is a blatent pop song that works very well for what it is. Whereas Chorus Line is a typical Levellers 'jumping around at gig' song. Wake the World is a Pause for reflection number whcih you can take from what you will.
Admittably there arent the strong cause related songs of old, but these are men with kids and wifes and alike now. Angst runs out in the best of us. Falling from the tree and Pour are the only 'fillers'.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›