5.0 out of 5 stars Another Charles gem
Published on 26 Aug 2009 by M. Olding

1.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Curse takes Charles
The Christmas album. Once great artists shoot themselves eternally in the foot. Ray Charles now vies with Nat King Cole ('I'm The Happiest Christmas Tree') in my aural memory for the most demonically gruesome response to the winter happy season.

Published on 13 Dec 2010 by Philoctetes

1.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Curse takes Charles, 13 Dec 2010
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Spirit Of Christmas (Audio CD)

I was put in a position where I had to listen to the entire album, and when I realised it was Ray Charles my eyes popped out. Remember that scene in a Simpsons episode where some soul singer is doing the national anthem at a baseball game and it takes him about half an hour, at the end of which the crowd collapse into their chairs? Well, now you get some idea of what these arrangements do to once familiar and pleasing Christmas songs.

In other words, Charles' singing transforms them into musical catastrophes. After this album was played, the next was Sweet Bells and it was manna from heaven by comparison.

You love Ray. Look away. Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Charles gem, 26 Aug 2009
M. Olding - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spirit of Christmas (Audio CD)
This is a thoroughly enjoyable collection of Christmas songs played in the unique Charles style.There are some marvels. The title song,"The Spirit of Christmas" is outstanding,so soulful, and in my opinion one of the loveliest versions of a Christmas song that I have ever heard." Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer" is another delight; quirky, jazzy and sung with great humour.
For Ray Charles fans this is a must.For those wanting something a little different from the usual seasonal offerings of Christmas songs, it might well be worth your while giving it a try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Listen, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Spirit Of Christmas (Audio CD)
Truth be told, I was a little disappointed with this album. I am a huge Ray Charles fan but felt that, with the exception of "The Spirit of Christmas", the album could have been a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of its time, 10 Feb 2013
T. MANN - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit Of Christmas (Audio CD)
I'm crazy about Ray Charles, and here we have a Christmas album that's as good as his seventies stuff - that is - with top arrangers and singing at his best. This was 1984 I believe and full of goodies. How on earth can "The Little Drummer Boy" sound this good? Incredible.
If you liked the recent posthumous Ray Charles / Count Basie production, you'll love this. Can't wait for next Christmas to play it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 17 Jan 2013
Esther Collins (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit Of Christmas (Audio CD)
We normally have James Brown, Nat King Cole or the usual christmas pop compilations playing in our house over the holidays, thought would give this album a try. The whole family liked it, there was something for everyone, a bit of blues, jazz and uptempo touches to traditional christmas songs and some original tracks too. Perfect.

3.0 out of 5 stars RAY FAN, 19 Jan 2010
Mr. J. C. Higgins (Halesowen, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit Of Christmas (Audio CD)
Reasonable Christmas selection, enjoyed because I'm a Ray Charles fan. Bought, having heard "Winter Wonderland" on a film soundtrack. Addition of bonus track "Baby it's Cold Outside" seems a little pointless, since it's on so many other discs. Seriously doubt it's appeal to none Ray fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 11 Jan 2010
I downloaded this on boxing day and haven't stopped playing it since, its just wonderful. This is the best Christmas album out there - I regret I didn't get it years ago. Fantastic value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great christmas eve, 7 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Spirit of Christmas (Audio CD)
Just the thing for relaxing on Christmas Eve with family and a bottle of champagne.

ARRAY(0xa0a4e240)

The Spirit Of Christmas
The Spirit Of Christmas by Ray Charles (Audio CD - 2013)