5.0 out of 5 stars Listen again - one more time., 18 Aug 2009
Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Woodstock 40: 3 Days of Peace & Music

As a lover of the period and so many of the artists featured in this box set, I had to give it full marks. However, that is not to say that the recordings are flawless - hums and buzzes are present in places - but hey, what do you expect.

Rhino should be congratulated on producing another fine box and I should think the definitive selection from the festival. It is great to have the extended sets from Joe McDonald (and the Fish), Airplane, Canned Heat etc + the new ones; Tim Hardin, Quill, ISB, Blood Sweat & Tears etc. Plus of course the Woodstock Dark Star from my beloved Grateful Dead. The booklet is informative; I purchased the triple and double albums on vinyl when first released, but was surprised to learn that the Mountain performances on Woodstock 2 were not even recorded at the festival - the 3 tracks here definitely were!

So in summary, I would say this is an essential audio document of of a monumental event (running time well over 7 hrs); if you remember it and enjoyed the music at the time, I'm sure you will again; if you are too young to remember it and wonder what all the fuss was about - just take a listen. "I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag" by Joe McDonald is still electrifying and one of the highlights in my opinion (possibly the best anti-war song ever written).

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Happening, 18 Aug 2009
JC "Traveler" (Sacramento,California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woodstock 40 (Audio CD)
This is a great big and ambitious 6 CD boxset with nearly 8 hours of music here and they wanted to compile the entire event on to 30 CDs but that would have been a very expensive boxset indeed. For those of you like myself who have the 25th anniversary box and the Woodstock Diary and are thinking about trading them off for this, hang on to them because several songs are not included here. Nevertheless this is still a worthy collectors item of this recorded landmark event from August 1969.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Days in 69, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Woodstock 40 (Audio CD)
Having written a MA History Thesis incorporating Woodstock the film in my critcal argument, I was delighted to find this wonderful document of the music of Woodstock, I owned the vinyl versions, both Vol 1 & 2 back in the early 80's. One of the great joys of owning this box set is the inclusion of two more Arlo Guthrie songs and the Woodstock version of Dark Star by one of my all time favourite bands, namely the Grateful Dead. 6 CD's including fascinating snippets of stage messages and the great Wavy Gravy! The accompanying booklet is to the usual high Rhino standard. Altogether a well presented package of truly wonderful music and a poignant reminder in this age of excement factor kariokee, of what real music is all about!

5.0 out of 5 stars Music and sound quality are fantastic, 26 Dec 2012
Mrs. S. Peeling (Malvern, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woodstock 40 (Audio CD)
The coverage of the event is the best yet. What really blew me away was how the sound quality captures the feeling of the live performances and ambience so well. They haven't tried to hide the defects in the master tapes, such as intrusive background noise ... but by not intervening have allowed a magical sound quality through that captures the spirit of Woodstock. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars The day a generation saw it's potential, 13 Jan 2014
Mr. Graham Hort "Alf" (Plymouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woodstock 40 (Audio CD)
I can remember sitting in the pictures watching this in total awe. The whole range of music was amazing and finishing off with Hendrix was so moving. The whole audience just sat in awe. No dashing to the exit before the National Anthem was played. I still get the same buzz when I hear Arlo Guthrie, Country Joe, CS&N, Ten Years After. The list just goes on. This collection includes all the but's I didn't get to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Concert, 19 Dec 2013
A. J. Wallis "Adrian" (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woodstock 40 (Audio CD)
Great value for money for a magical moment in rock history. Just sorry I wasn't old enought to be there.

Woodstock 40
Woodstock 40 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2009)