5.0 out of 5 stars Silence at last
Published on 20 Sep 2010 by P. Thorne

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
First thing i noticed upon unpacking was that the Alpine 11 GT was smaller than my Intel stock cooler.
I checked my existing temperature on my pc which was running at 39 degrees at idle.
After fitting the Alpine GT the temp at idle was 55 degrees !!! I removed and refitted several times, including removing
and applying thermal paste and still 55...
Published 21 months ago by stedi

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence at last, 20 Sep 2010
P. Thorne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2 CPU Cooler (Personal Computers)
I had a new, Asrock G31M-S Intel G31 (Socket 775) DDR2 PCI-Express, Motherboard fitted with dual core processor; the stock Intel LGA 775 cooler fitted (no speed control). It was very noisy - like having a coffee grinder under your desk!. I searched for ages for a quiet replacement at reasonable cost; after many hours looking I chose the Arctic Cooling Alpine II GT with PWM. I was not diappointed. It is cheap by most standards, minimalist in construction and has reduced CPU temperatures even at a controlled 700rpm. The fitting is ok provided you study how the Intel mounting works; it never feels very solid but does work if you are careful. Insturctions are diagramatic only so its best to remove your old fan and heatsink first and play with the old fittings before diving in. The orientation of the fan is important so study the old one in place before removing it; if you can't see the difference then get an expert to fit it. It is not neessary to remove the motherboard to fit the fan. Speed control will vary with your motherboard; just make sure it supports the 4 wire connection. My ASRock MB came with a software tool to set target speeds and temperatures although most BIOS sysyems will let you set variable spped/temperatures. Very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars So Quiet!!, 30 Dec 2013
If you want to replace a noisy heatsink and you're not overclocking this is great heatsink. And for the price it's unbeatable!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap replacement with noticeable reduction in temperatures., 20 Oct 2013
S. Wright (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this fan for an ASUS P5N-E SLI after snapping the locating pins on my existing unit by accident. I was expecting a straight swap in terms of performance but I have noticed slightly better performance with the 11 GT.

For reference, I am using Ubuntu Linux on an old Intel Core2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz

Post-boot temperature previous Intel stock cooler - 30-35 celcius.
Post-boot temperature Apine 11 GT Rev.2 - 25-30 celcius.

60 minutes idle temperature range previously 32-34 celcius.
60 minutes idle temperature range with 11 GT 28-34 celcius.

During heavier usage, the range is 32-38 celcius versus 35-40 previously.

Although it sounds quieter, I don't have any quantifiable evidence to suggest it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its cool. Get it? Cool? Ok., 13 Feb 2012
SILEeeles (Abingdon, UK) - See all my reviews
I got this because, for some reason, I wanted a better, quiter cpu fan and heat sink. It was a tad annoying to install (and by this i mean the pins you push) but i got there. The paste that came on the heat sink was replaced with Arctic Silver 5 after about a week. It wasn't bad, I just wanted to use something else, and to be fair, there was a noticeable improvement in my temperatures.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Oct 2012
and applying thermal paste and still 55 Degrees.

I refitted my stock intel cooler and back to 39 degrees.

I honestly expected this Arctic cooler would perform better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncle's upgrade, 24 May 2014
I had to sort out my Uncle's PC (virus ridden), so I vacuumed it out as you could grow mushrooms in it and sorted out the registry (to clean viruses) and decided to get this heatsink for him as his PC made a racket. Wow, what a difference, it's virtually silent and runs a lot cooler now. RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, 7 May 2014
Small, cheap and quiet (though not silent). This cooler is fantastic for the money, just don't expect it to better any of the high-end stuff out there (that said it is quieter than the Intel cooler I had been using previously ).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for the price, 27 April 2014
Really good value for money, almost silent, keeps the CPU much cooler than the stock one does. Would not hesitate to buy another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very quite considering the cost., 24 April 2014
This fan is as quite if not quiter than a more expensive Zalman Fan. Recommended for those on a budget.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a cool product. Or is it?, 28 Nov 2013
It was a temporary solution for me, before I managed to buy a new CPU, I used it on a stone age Celeron D. The cooler is very pretty, nicely packaged and with thermal paste pre-applied, obviously, and it worked... But the CPU wasn't ice-cold, that's for sure. I suppose you can't expect immense performance from such a cheap solution, hence the high rating.
Please don't get me wrong, it does cool the CPU, only don't expect your Haswell i7 to go below zero :)

Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2 CPU Cooler