5.0 out of 5 stars New direction: Upwards.
Published on 11 Sep 2009 by El Capitan

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of 'The Road'
Published on 16 Sep 2009 by D. Cawdeary

5.0 out of 5 stars New direction: Upwards., 11 Sep 2009
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
This is a great album, and seems set to launch Frank Turner into the mainstream where he has always deserved to belong. It may sound different to previous albums on first listen, as these songs have a full-band feel to them, as opposed to just backing session musicians, but the quality of the song writing and lyrics holds it all together, forming something of a new direction, and a brilliant one at that.

Tracks like "Live fast Die old" and "Poetry of the Deed" showcase this new sound, acoustic belters "Try this at home" and "Dan's song" are welcome returns to more familiar territory, and the back end of the album holds a number of slow-growing gems such as "Faithful Son", "Sons of Liberty", "The Road" & "Richard Divine".

Oh yeah and definitely go see him live.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was never going to be anything less than five stars..., 13 Sep 2009
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
When some artists have new releases, there is a doubt in your mind whether they will be able to maintain their previous levels. Not so Frank Turner. He's too clever for that.

Here is Frank's third album, and another spectacular set of songs which say exactly what I think and feel but in a poetic way that I could never manage. It's clever, at times very funny, and it affects me in a profound way.

The songs here were worked on and recorded with the band that Frank uses live, and he says that it was a much more collaborative process than on his previous recording. This means that at times - Live Fast Die Old, Poetry of the Deed, The Road - the songs have a much fuller sound. At other times it is much more stripped down. But the feeling is there throughout, and the music is crafted beautifully around that feeling and passion.

The beauty of Turner is that the more you listen, the more the poetry comes through. And the more the poetry comes through, the more the music means, and the more you want to listen to it. This beautiful little circle hasn't finished for me yet with this album - indeed, it hasn't finished for me with his last album - and I look forward to the next few months/years and the hours of enjoyment this record is going to give me!

I can't recommend listening to Frank Turner enough. No music has affected me as much as his since I first got into music.

My current favourite songs on the album are the rollicking Try This At Home, the celebration of sunny afternoons in the park that is Dan's Song and the lovely, lovely Isabel.

Oh, and Journey of the Magi is so good it nearly makes me cry.

Paupers and kings, princes and thieves, singers of songs, righters of wrongs, be what you believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try this at home!, 14 Dec 2009
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
As someone who adored Frank's last album, "Love, Ire & Song", I have to confess that I found "Poetry Of The Deed" a lot more difficult to fall in love with, but it eventually happened. Frank has taken a slightly different direction with "Poetry Of The Deed", featuring more of a full band sound than his previous solo works and, admittedly it has taken a little of the edge away from his confrontational style, but once you adjust to it you're realise what a tremendously good album it is, with some truly great moments. The really quite pretty "Isabel", for example, is a touching working class love song. "Sons Of Liberty" is the track on the album most typical of Frank's previous style, being a rabble-rousing angry protest at the stripping away of our privacy and civil liberties, plus it features a rip-roaring fiddle solo - it's probably my pick of the whole release. "The Road" is a catchy and memorable song, predictably, about travelling. However, where many artists have made the mistake of writing songs about being on the road which are tedious and difficult for the average person to understand, Frank's attempt as such a song is excellent and doesn't fall into the trap of predictability.

"Richard Divine" is a superb character-story composition about a pathos-edged suicide, with excellent lyrics. The powerful "Our Lady Of The Campfires" is another character-based tale, packed with wonderfully-descriptive imagery. Finally, the album closer, "Journey Of The Magi" will please the fans of Turner's previous solo albums, being a wistful piece which talks of biblical/historic characters and the reflections they make about their life journey. Those are my personal favourites, but there isn't a dull moment on this whole album. It's a consistently good piece of work which, while it may conflict existing fans slightly with the more mainstream sound, is easily comparable to his previous work in terms of passion and songwriting quality. Ultimately, I don't think "Poetry Of The Deed" is as good as "Love, Ire & Song", but it's not far behind and it could definitely win him an army of new fans just on the basis of these songs alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of 'The Road', 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
OK, I've been a Frank Turner fan since the final days of Million Dead to the Campfire Rock EP through to present day, and I love the guy for his energy, tireless touring and an amazing live show. His discography is getting pretty impressive now, and with lots of Radio 1 air play and love from the likes of Zane Lowe and Jo Wiley, its doubtless that 2009 will be a massive year for Frank.

I have to say, I am a little disappointed in his new album. I feel it lacks the consistent catchiness of Love, Ire and Song. I also feel after a few listens that The Road and Try This at Home are the best tracks, which is disappointing being that I heard these weeks before the album release. Frank's love of Bruce Springsteen seems to have taken his song writing down the middle of the road, rather than mixing it up with the punk/protest/folk we have heard on previous albums.

I also feel that more personal lyrics about nights out, girls and drugs have been replaced by generic lyrics about life and what we should all do before we die.

I love Frank and I shall still go to see him on tour, and maybe these songs will work better live. They are just failing to grab my attention on the album, a little like some tracks on Sleep is for the Week.

Almost gets a 4/5 but I feel that would be a little generous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets better and better with each album, 26 Jan 2014
Ms. AC Hodges "student musician" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
I'm working backwards through Frank Turner's albums, having only started listening in the last two years. You can see the progression through his albums, which is nice. I think I prefer the songs on Love Ire & Song and England Keep My Bones (love every song on both albums), but its up to personal taste and diehard fans from the beginning will most likely disagree with me. Have a listen yourself - it wasn't very much to buy - and see what you think. I particularly like 'The Road', which was the main reason I bought the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
Another amazing Frank album, anyone who knows Frank's later stuff will love this. The usua
Frank style, (or mix of styles) well-produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply brilliant, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
What can I say brilliant album, you will love every track. A must for any fan, this won't disappoint you. I treated myself for Xmas

5.0 out of 5 stars frank turner cd, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
brill cd saw him at reading festival on the tv, and enjoyed listening, bought the cd for my hubby and he is trilled with it

2.0 out of 5 stars Pub rock, 23 Oct 2013
Duncan Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry Of The Deed (Audio CD)
Tried very much to like this after hearing him on Steve Lamacq's anniversary tribute radio show, but apart from one or two tracks (The Road) it's really just above average pub rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well its Frank Turner, why would you expect any less?, 6 April 2013
His 3rd album I think it is, and a nice one at that. Includes "The Road" and "Try This At Home" which are both going to be classics one day.. maybe..

Poetry Of The Deed
Poetry Of The Deed by Frank Turner (Audio CD - 2009)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available