5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 28 July 2009
J. Mistry - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
Jordin has really grown since her last album....a real mix of slow ballads. I would reccomend to all Beyonce, Mariah and Leona Lewis fans. Oh, and all previous Jordin Sparks fans! If you don't want to buy the whole album, download 'Walking on Snow' , 'Emergency (911)' and 'The Cure' ...my favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars sparks will fly, 22 July 2009
William Cocking "william" (sheffield uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
this has to be a condtender for the best female cd of 2009.after listening to her sing her heart out i can see why she won american idol and her writing skills are nothing to joke about.her vocals rise and fall with ease and to me the best track has to be the cover of one of the best dance track ever .let the music play by shannon.her first cd was a great launch into a wonderfull hit filled career.not only can this young lady write and sing but she is beautifull to boot.i can imagine her career going in a same vien as the likes as donna summer and whitney houston i just hope she stays true to her roots.10 out of 10 jordin keep the melody coming .excellent second outing cant wait to see her touring.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life After Idol, 25 July 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The Wolf can do shallow. Nothing wrong with a bit
of shallow once in a while to lighten the load.

There's good shallow and bad shallow of course and the line
between them is a very fine one and although Ms Sparks dips
perilously close to the wrong side of the tracks occasionally,
for the most part her new album 'Battlefield' more than adequately
redeems itself with this collection of formulaic but largely likeable
power-pop anthems.

She has a whole houseful of writers and producers at her disposal.
I have no idea whether or not she deserves it but she's a pretty girl with a good
voice and a prominent public profile so that's got to mean a whole lot of moolah
in the bank even before she's sung a single note. Someone's a winner here !

The voice is perfectly pleasant. Ms Sparks has the ability to sustain
big brassy top notes with conviction.
Beauty and talent then - surely some kind of mixture for success.

My tone may appear to be a tad sarcastic but I did actually enjoy this album a lot.

Opening track 'Walking On Snow' is a cracking song performed with passion.
More than worthy competition for the Leonas and Mileys of this world.
(Susan Boyle doesn't really stand a chance however !).

Title track 'Battlefield' is a strong contender for Someone-Who- Won-American-Idol
-R&B-Anthem-Of-The-Year-Award-2009. Apart from a couple of very wayward high notes
almost lost in the fade (Yes I am the kind of saddo who pays attention to such details !) it
is, none-the less, a fine song, well sung.

'S.O.S. (Let The Music Play)', a very limp take on Shannon's 1983 monster dance hit, is
a mistaken inclusion. An utterly dowdy production which misses credibility by a mile.

'No Parade' is a pretty ballad which shows off her rich lower register to fine effect.
(I was reminded suddenly of Toni Braxton but her image faded almost in the
same moment that my mind's eye conjured her to life).
Ms Sparks really belts out the big crescendos with this one. I loved it.

'Emergency (911)' sort-of delivers a droll urban rock-chick narrative.
(I'm thinking stick with the big torch songs girlfriend).

'Was I The One' - now that's much more like it !
Soulful. Emotionally captivating. Something to connect with.
We'll forgive the cliches with a performance as riveting as this.

The bluesy gospel of 'Faith', too, is one of the album's highlights.
Our heroine sings her little heart out and lives to see another day.

'Tattoo' gives the voice a little more room to move than some
of its near neighbours. It is a voice worth hearing.
Call me a soppy old Wolf if you must but this is my favorite !

'One Step At A Time' is a rhythmically beguiling closing number.
The staccato melody and richly layered harmonies are delightful.
(Loving that classy mid-song key shift too !).

Well executed tabloid pop of the very highest order.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars one to enjoy over and over again!, 20 Dec 2011
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
one of the great talent from back in the states jordin sparks really got it and really knows how to combine great tunes, mix in a lot of great r&B, soul even some rock to make a masterpiece anyone coud and should enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of 2009 so far., 23 July 2009
G. W. Hope - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
I bought this album the day it was released and have had it on heavy rotation ever since. I haven't played much else since I bought it. Every single song is extremely listenable and I haven't found myself skipping anything so far. I'm able to listen to it the whole way through which I struggle to do with most albums these days. I thought her debut self-titled album was also wonderful and it didn't take me many listens to get into all the tracks, but Jordin is just going from strength to strength with "Battlefield." Great lyrics, catchy hooks and most of all, that voice soars. I felt like she held her voice back a little on her first album, and Ms. Sparks really shows us WHY she won American Idol here. I've not heard a better album in 2009 as of yet.

1. Walking On Snow - This track is instantly likeable. Singing of a broken love which Jordin does not care for anymore, this track is actually very uplifting and creates a rather upbeat mood due to its happy melody. This was my favourite track when I first listened to the set (though it keeps changing every few hours!) and a fantastic opener to a brilliant album.

2. Battlefield - The title track and first single. A fiesty and fierce little number which speaks the truth; love IS very challenging and absolutely does feel like a battlefield. Backed with a dark, eerie and haunting beat, Jordin's cutting-edge vocals and a brilliant choir to boot, the excellence continues and it's easy to see why this was chosen as the first single (though there could have been SO many!). You better go and get your armour! ;)

3. Don't Let It Go To Your Head - A brilliant cover of the Fefe Dobson track. Jordin does this song a lot of justice and it's a beautiful song. One of the best ballads on the album and it also has great hit potential.

4. SOS (Let The Music Play) - Time to dance! Jordin takes it to the floor with this pop-dance/disco number which really displays the variety of the album. It's not really like anything else she's ever done before which is why I guess it's been hinted for second single release, further displaying her talent. Fantastic track, and check that bridge - so catchy! I hope it's a big hit!

5. It Takes More - This track immediately stands out. We see more of fierce Jordin here as she angrily tells her lover it takes more than buying flowers to keep her. And she's damn right. Another extremely relatable track where Jordin is once again heavily exercising her vocal chords.

6. Watch You Go - Another quality track which, like SOS, doesn't really sound like anything she's done in her career before. Great production and lovely vocals from Jordin again.

7. No Parade - This one seems to be a fan favourite and it's pretty easy to see why. Backed with heartbreaking lyrics and a boombastic chorus, you can hear Jordin's hurt and emotion throughout the song. Another gorgeous number which shows her incredible talent.

8. Let It Rain - VERY inspirational and uplifting song. The verses really set the scene and theme of the song and the heavier, rock-inspired chorus builds the song to great heights. The rockier chorus goes extremely well with her angry vocals. Fantastic.

9. Emergency (911) - As soon as this starts you can tell Jordin's love has done bad again as she roars in with "You know my ringtone! Why don't you answer the phone?!" This song is very fun and is backed with guitars and a dance beat. The chorus, as well as the first bridge (which is hilarious - "Aren't you my boyfriend? You were supposed to be here like an hour ago!") is particularly fantastic. As I said, it's a very fun song and not to be taken too seriously. ;) VERY relatable at the same time, however. Awesome!

10. Was I The Only One? - This track is beautiful. Jordin's vocals start off soft along with the beautiful guitar. A beat is then added with violins and her vocals start to soar. This song is proof that a gorgeous music is still possible with proper instruments and a LOVELY voice to top it off! You can really hear her hurt on this one too, and it's very heart wrenching, especially if you can relate. "Was I the only one who fell in love? There never really was the two of us. Maybe my all just wasn't good enough." One of my favourites.

11. Faith - Another beautiful, inspiring track. Having a little faith can definitely help in life at times as I have learnt, and as Jordin demonstrates on this track. The last chorus and Jordin's ad libs are AMAZING. Listen to that emotion! Lovely.

12. The Cure - The introduction on this song will probably remind you a lot of Leona Lewis' "Better In Time." Jordin sings of being there for someone and stopping one's pain when they feel low. Jordin has a very soft and angelic vocal on this track which really ties in with the meaning of the song. This is also one of my favourites (though I have many! ;)) and is a gorgeous closer.

The UK version of the album also includes "Tattoo" and "One Step At A Time," the big hits from her debut set (though for some reason her biggest hit "No Air" is excluded). The Deluxe Edition of the album (which unfortunately has not yet been released here in the UK) also includes two bonus tracks, "Postcard" and "Papercut." These are all brilliant tracks. The Deluxe also includes a bonus DVD which is worth forking out the extra money for.

All in all, this album is just astonishing. Jordin's vocals improve and improve (not that they ever needed improving; they were fantastic from the start of course!) and the material on this album is extremely strong, but it's Jordin who makes the album what it is. If you're a fan of the title track and are considering buying the album, I'd highly recommend it, as well as if you enjoyed her debut. If you don't have either of her albums, you're missing out - become a fan today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
I have been adding to my back catalogue and this was a CD I always meant to buy - it did not disappoint. SUPERB !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
Lovely album. No fillers. Catchy melodies and great vocals. A real solid album from Jordin Sparks. I loved it. =D

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
my daughter loves jordin sparks and after putting this in the car found myself singing along to all of the tunes great cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful CD, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
The main reason why i bought her cd was because of her song "battlefield". i like d the song when i heard it on Tv and decioded to buy the CD but i do like every song on the CD

5.0 out of 5 stars really good album, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Battlefield (Audio CD)
I loved her previous album and this one didn't disapoint either, love her voice and have thoroughly enjoyed listening to this, i have it on when i am driving around. Very good album.

Battlefield
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (Audio CD - 2009)