5.0 out of 5 stars Redefining comedy!
Published on 8 Mar 2012 by rodgersviews

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hangover: largely puerile, some funny moments
So, three guys on a stag party in Vegas wake up the morning after the night before with a tiger in the bathroom, no memory of the previous night and no groom. They start trying to track back through the previous night in an attempt to find the unfortunate groom and save the wedding day.

It's a great premise, and the method of revealing their actions to us and...
Published 20 months ago by Victor

5.0 out of 5 stars Redefining comedy!, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Hangover [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I am a big comedy fan, but lately I have been highly disappointed with Hollywood's take on the genre. However, The Hangover is a breath of fresh air, in an ocean of bad and cheesy comedies. It is genuinely funny! And what I like most is the fact that you need to watch the entire thing, in order to know how it's going to end (this is a quality most movies lack nowadays).
The dialog is hilarious, the four lads are all so wonderfully weird and twisted, the plot is full of suspense and when you think you've seen it all, something bigger and badder happens.
It's a really great movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars "..BEST COMEDY OF 2009..", 28 April 2012
S. Drury "SDX-800" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hangover (Extended Cut) [Blu-ray] (2009) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
There was not allot of great comedy films out in 2009, THE HANGOVER is certainly the best. Lots of genuine laugh out loud moments and stupid silly antics that the cast get into! Lots of very good features on the disc too for your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hangover: largely puerile, some funny moments, 20 Nov 2012
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hangover [DVD] [2009] (DVD)

It's a great premise, and the method of revealing their actions to us and the characters through a series of oddball encounters is an interesting one that gives this a fresh feel. You feel as though you are stumbling around in the dark with them.

It has some funny set pieces, but I have to say that I found a lot of the film puerile, filled with that running around screaming for no apparent reason that seems to be mistaken for comedy more and more these days. Many of the situations are too cringingly embarrassing to watch. But there are some great moments, with genuinely hilarious touches. And the film is worth watching just for the cabaret singer at the end - he seems to be a Sinatra wannabe channelling the Mighty Boosh's Bob Fossil.

In all three stars. An OK watch, but uneven with some really funny bits mixed with some totally unfunny stretches, all with a decent premise and an interesting story telling method.

5.0 out of 5 stars psp film, 25 Mar 2012
This is the funniest film i've seen for a long time!! Well worth watching. It keeps you laughing for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 1 Feb 2012
Ali (Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hangover [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I love this film as to be one of the funniest films of the decade I could watch it every night and not get bored of it. Very quick delivery in excellent condition. Fab film

3.0 out of 5 stars Sin City Smiles, 11 Dec 2009
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Well, this was a couple of notches less special than I had been expecting. I had read several private and professional reviews and my expectations were pretty high, but very little in the film managed to live up to the hype.

It's not exactly a road movie, simply four guys going to Vegas for a bachelor weekend (or a stag night as we would call it here) and inevitably getting into trouble. Although the night itself isn't shown, one thing that's not in question is that all four of them got very drunk and the next day can't rememember what happened - and one of them is missing: the groom, no less. So he has to be found in order to get him to the church on time.

There are some moments that made me chuckle, quite a few to be fair, but I thought it was going to be hilarious and it was never quite that. In fact, the comedy elements were underplayed if anything, and the film as a whole was as much of a drama, maybe even a suspense mystery at times, and this was a constant surprise. Not as big a surprise however as the absence of any moments that made me holler with laughter. And I was ready to do just that, indeed I was expecting it. The main four characters probably had the ability to do it, but the script didn't allow them to. Some of the peripheral characters, notably the Chinese gangsters, were just camp and let down the good work put in by the main players.

I've heard this film being described as one of the funniest films of 2009. If that's true - and it might be for all I know - then standards must be slipping. Actually, the Madagascar 2 DVD was released in 2009, and I can say without hesitation that it was a whole lot funnier than Hangover, even if it is a whole lot different. In summary it's OK, it's definitely watchable even if it's entirely predictable (apart from such details as tigers and Tyson) but for me it didn't set any new landmarks in cinema comedy.

Of course, this is the Blu-Ray version and I'd give it 4-stars for HD transfer, although the sound was nothing special. The benefits of the high clarity and broad colour spectrums were displayed in the sunshine on the road, but only for small segments of the total running time. If I was buying it, I would pick the standard-definition version. In my case I rented it so with no cost difference I will always opt for Blu-Ray but in this case there's limited advantage, even if it's better than some I've seen this year.

There is a choice of two versions: Theatrical and Unrated; I watched the extended Unrated option.

Spoken languages : English, French and German plus English descriptive narration.
Subtitles : English, French, German, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Swedish

PIP theatrical version commentary 100 minutes

Extras last 36 minutes - background locations, Ken Jeong's hilarious improvisations, compilation of all the physical comedy, Three Best Friends Song, The Dan Band perform 'Fame', Gag reel and still image gallery.

I can't help but feel a little disappointed given my bright expectations, but it's still worth a watch, just nothing special.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

COMMENTS

Mr. Christopher Hemming says:
Hi, I bought this film and was expedting it to be very funny. It was funny in parts,funniest of 2009, I don't think so. (Don't buy just rent). Save your money and wait for a REAL funny film.

This review was spot on.

How some people can say this film is very funny (beggers belief). Some parts were funny, but I thought was a let down.
I advise you to rent and not to buy.

Posted on 23 Dec 2010 10:35:48 GMT

Cian Mcintyre says:-

I agree wholeheartedly with this review. There were some smirk-inducing moments but with how people had gone on about it, I was expecting to spend half the movie gasping for breath but there weren't any particularly funny moments, most of the jokes just seem to stem from Alan saying or doing something dumb.

Posted on 23 Dec 2010 12:01:57 GMT

Mr. Christopher Hemming says:-

I also bought this film and what he says is TRUE.IF i were you and I wanted to watch a FUNNY film my advise would be look elewhere. Some reviewere who thought this film was funny from start to finish must have had about 10 points down at the pub

Posted on 24 Dec 2010 14:55:22 GMT

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Jun 2012
I originally watched The Hangover ages ago.... By chance I noticed it on Blu-Ray and decided to purchase it.

What can I say?

One of my favourite films.... EVER!

5/5

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough genuine laughs and frequently embarrassingly awful, 9 April 2012
Hywel James "Hywel James" (Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hangover [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Fortunately I rented "The Hangover" and accordingly it didn't cost me very much to discover that it is, for the most part, a boneheaded romp in which a number of actors well into their thirties, possibly even their forties, mucked about like teenagers. Was it an ironic take on the American comedy genre or an extremely sophisticated post modern analysis of Hollywood mores? No, it was largely infantile movie and it was acutely embarrassing to see grownups behaving like twerps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014