on 1 February 2010
As previous reviewers have said, the Joby gorilla pod SLR Zoom is more or less useless without a ball head - and chances are most will consider Joby's own solution to the problem. It's competitively priced compared to other options and performs just as well as more expensive heads.

The Gorillapod head is a simple design, a metal socket, encasing a solid metal ball which can be fixed in position by turning a wheel.

The head is well built and solid, with smooth action when the ball is unlocked and a firm locking mechanism which gives the user confidence it will hold the advertised 3kg load limit. It can also be moved into a side slot to give a portrait orientation.

I've used it with a Nikon D300 and 70-300 zoom lens without a problem and with no sign of creep from the head itself (although the gorillapod legs themselves caused some motion - see my separate review).

The mounting plate has a built in level, again an essential when using with the hard-to-level gorillapod legs. It's disappointing to see just a single plane level, rather than a much more useful round bubble level which would let you level the camera in all directions.

Like the Gorillapod itself, the head might not be perfect and photographers need to know it's limitations - but otherwise is a good match.
on 28 August 2009
A pricey object but so well constucted that it is certainly worth the outlay. I particularly like the built in spirit level which is a great aid to ensuring your pictures are level. The large SLR/Zoom Gorrillapod is not a viable item without the addition of a ball head as there is no type of adjustment on it and thus it's incredibly difficult to level a camara. It is certainly strong enough to hold and SLR and attached Zoom.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 5 September 2011
Hesitated before buying this to go with matching tripod (SLR Zoom model), but took the plunge, and glad I did.

It is so nice in these days of "make it in plastic as cheap as you can but make it last about 13 months" to find something like this that is actually made of metal and feels solid and heavy and well engineered. It does its job beautifully. Without it, adjusting the tripod (which would be otherwise screwed directly in to the camera) purely by moving the legs around would be a bit of a pain, especially if trying to wrap the legs around a tree or fence for example.

The spirit level is a bit of a gimmick really, and I suspect may get broken as it is positioned right where I want to press when pushing the plate in to the mount, but overall this is well worth it if you are already investing in the tripod. I especially like how loosening the knob very slightly will allow the camera to be panned on the swivel base whilst the ball joint remains locked. Good design, well made.
on 28 August 2009
I bought this tripod head for my gorillapod SLR-Zoom. I have a nikon D80 with an 18-200m lens and it holds up the weight just fine. Very happy with my purchase!
on 27 September 2009
How could you manage without this piece of equipment, especially when you have the gorrillapod tripod, SLR version. It makes your job much easier in being able to turn, angle, pivot, when taking a good photograph, and I would highly recommend this item.
The general build quality of this item is fantastic. The base is machined from aluminium and the knob tightens the ball head rock solid with a very smooth and positive action.

However, this extremely firm base is let down by the quick release plate mounted on top, which is constructed almost entirely from plastic, and exhibits quite a noticeable amount of flex due to its simple sliding fit construction. There is no clamping force which can be applied to lock it firm.

I fail to see the point of having such a great ball head let down by a poor quick release plate. It wouldn't be quite so bad if it were possible to unscrew the plate and mount a more substantial metal plate to the top of the ball, but it is firmly attached during manufacture.

I found that by adding three layers of PVC electrical tape to the base of the quick release shoe to apply upwards pressure to the plate when it's inserted, can be significantly stabilised without compromising its ability to be removed - but why couldn't the plastic moulding have been manufactured to better tolerances?

It's certainly usable, but being plastic, there will always be some motion of the kind you wouldn't expect from all-metal construction.

Potentially a great item, let down by one under-engineered component.
on 20 May 2016
A well priced object and very well made with a simple design that it is certainly worth the extra to completely transform the extremely limited Gorillapod SPR Zoom.

Without the ball head you have virtually no adjustment and to try and level my camera was not fun... I love the clip with the built in spirit level, attaching the camera to the Gorillapod is no longer a tedious task! It now takes a fraction of the time to get that perfect position, essential when your subject doesn't want to sit waiting while you curse at your camera...!

I'm not sure why they bother selling these items separately but if like me, you purchase the Gorillapod on its own and are not so impressed, buy one of these. My Gorillapod is now more than fit for purpose, I love it and use it all the time
on 12 August 2011
The Ball head does the job well enough and allows you accurate control over your camera when using the Gorillapod. It's great that is has a quick release clip making it much easier to use, but I am not sure why they put the bubble level on clip; when you are using the camera (Canon 500D in my case) without the Gorillapod its easy for the bubble level to knocked when putting the camera down somewhere. Surely it would of made more sense to put it somewhere else? As it currently is, the bubble level sticks out the back of the camera and could easily get caught on something. Taking the quick release clip off all of the time isn't really a helpful solution.

Other than that, it does the job well.
on 18 May 2016
I ordered this with the Gorillapod Zoom tripod. Not impressed. If I had the time I would be returning it for a replacement however I don't as I am travelling tomorrow and need it for my trip.
My primary reason for dissatisfaction is the poor fitting of the ballhead base to the tripod.
The Tripod comes with an adapter that allows for fitting of the tripod to either 3/8" or 1/4" threads. The Ballhead appears to have a 1/4" insert though luckily for me the outer rim of this must be threaded at 3/8"- explanation later.
Despite applying more force than should ever be necessary it is physically impossible to get the 14" screw on the Tripod to physically reach far enough into the threaded insert in the ballhead to get it to catch, It seems to be about 0.5mm short. I have removed the mounting screw from the tripod and when loose it screws in to the ballhead firmly and securely, so the thread itself is OK. The mounting screw fits to a camera no problem at all. But the ballhead and tripod don't fit together. Either the insert on the ballhead is too deeply recessed or the screw is too short on the tripod.
I have settled on it being the ballhead at fault as I have tried a few other tipod adapters I have lying around and none of them reach into the ballhead either.
As I say it should be going back ( I am well cheesed off) however I am due to travel tomorrow. I noticed the recess on the ballhead appears to have a 3/8" thread on the outer edge- not sure why but there you go- if they had threaded it all 1/4" it would work fine for me! However I have fitted the 3/8" adapter to the tripod screw and it turns about half a turn before its tight into the ball head. This leaves the ball head about 4mm above the top of the tripod. Its secure but its not stable with a camera on. So I have made some packing from the cardboard box delivered from Amazon and made a shim to pack this space, like a pair of cardboard washers. This will do the job, the camera is now firmly attached.
Real shame. If it was all better made this shouldnt be an issue as it looks otherwise a handy bit of kit. I don't normally leave things to the last minute but the tripod I did want was out of stock from Amazon and suggested it would be in stock by Monday, this week. It wasn't and I was forced to go down the route of something to do the job.
on 12 May 2016
This product solved not one, not two, but three issues I had with my Gorillapod tripod.

1. I had to get an adapter screw to fit it to my compact camera - this has a two-part adaptable thread (although a bit of a fiddle to remove - you'll need a tiny tiny allan key and another screw to remove the 3/8 thread insert) that fits either DSLR or compacts, no more annoying adapter.
2. It comes with a built-in quick release plate, saving cash on buying separate parts and the annoyance of either having to unscrew the camera, or cart it about attached to the tripod.
3. I can now set up the tripod any which way and THEN straighten up the shot - rather than making any number of clumsy adjustments to the legs to try and level the camera, with an often limited range of options due to the angle/surface on which the tripod is set. The ball allows for a full range of movement in a 180 hemisphere - full 360 rotation on the vertical axis, and 90 in any direction on the horizontal.

The quick release plate is slightly bigger than the base of my compact which is only a minor annoyance for the benefit - plus I get the spirit level benefit whether or not it's attached to the tripod. The whole thing feels high quality and solid (it's much heavier than I thought) yet it's small and compact.

Time will tell how it fares in the wild, and its longevity - I've only yet tried it out briefly in my living room.