on 10 February 2011
I had high hopes for the Wean Machine, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be. The two down sides are: 1. It doesn't get the food as small as a food processor so younger, picky babies may not like it so much. The smaller grill gets the food to stage two baby food, not stage one. 2. The food has to be much softer to be mashed by this than a food processor. I typically cook our food until it is just past tender-crispy so I have to cook much longer, almost to over-done, to use in the Wean Machine (that means baby isn't eating the food cooked the same way I made it for the family, which is why I wanted this little gadget). Once the food is soft enough for the WM, a fork can do almost as good a job, although a fork is harder work.
On the other hand, it is probably easier to transport than a hand run mill so is great when on the go, if very soft food is available. Because it can be taken completely apart, it can be cleaned easily, with no food hiding in unreachable corners. The price is very good for a baby gadget. I do use this a fair bit, but not as much as I had expected to.
on 13 October 2010
I regret buying this product. I researched it and watched the video about it and was enthusiastic about using it, however, it is basically a very expensive fork!! It mashes the food up as a fork would, it's a completely unnecessary bit of kit. At a time when you are spending a small fortune on baby products/clothes/toys etc it's a cost you really don't need. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I've only used mine a few times and its such a faff as is cleaning all the parts, I wish I'd never bought it. Throw a fork into your changing bag and hang onto your money!
on 29 January 2011
I am very impressed with this product. Great idea. Guess it could be cheaper but for convenience it is unbeatable. Fully recommended.
on 3 March 2010
I bought this during the earlier stages of weaning. Its very handy, especially when you're traveling, although I dnt think its necessary, especially in the latter stages of weaning when mashing suffices. I would buy a cheaper and more versatiole blender!
on 16 April 2011
This is a plastic pile of rubbish, the food has to be really over cooked to get anything through it. There is a cheaper, cleaner & quicker device available - its called a fork! Take it from me dont waste your money.
on 16 September 2010
I bought this for my 10 month old, because we were going on holiday to a hotel in Spain and was hoping to be able to select foods from the hotel buffet and use this to mush it up a bit. The first time we used it was on spaghetti bolognaise, it was really hard work and made so much mess. We ended up using a fork to get the same or better effect. I was fortunate that my baby progressed rapidly in her eating habits whilst we were on holdiday and did not want to miss out on the eating experience we all had every night so ended up munching away on food that was cut up well or mashed with a fork.

I would say this product is ok for soft fruits but no more, even then I think you would get just as good an outcome with a fork.

I really liked the overall idea of the product, that it was portable (even though it is still quite big), and that it included a spoon. However it needs a full case or a bag to put it in if you are out because it gets messy. If you are at home you might as well buy a food processor or a hand blender.
on 26 September 2011
I bought this item at a food fayre after a demonstration from the creator, and it looked really impressive. I was excited by the idea of a fuss-free way of feeding my then 7 month old. I was really dissapointed though, as I soon found out that the food had to be really soft for it to work in the wean machine. The lady at the fayre said that it can be used for meat, but I haven't been able to get any through it. I think the idea is really good but it doesn't deliver. For the past 2 months I have been mashing and chopping food in the normal fashion - using a knife and fork. I'd save your money!
on 7 October 2012
I used this item quite a lot, it was very handy to take out when my daughter was at the inbetween stage, it is easy to clean, comes apart no problem.
I loved it when i used it.
on 19 September 2012
Bought for my grandson and he used it from 6 months old and ate what his parents were eating - handy and not too big.
on 25 October 2013
I bought this as I thought it would be so handy to be able to mash up the same food that I was eating when out and about and having seen the demonstrations where they just put half a potatoes skin on into it and got out lovely mash I thought it would be perfect. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that. I found that when you press down it compacts the food and although some comes out you have to put loads in and a lot is just squashed to the bottom and doesn't come out through the grill there is a load of wastage. I found that the food had to be really soft to work and at that consistency I could have just put my spoon into it and scooped it out anyway. I used it a couple of times then gave up and just used a fork which was far quicker with the added bonus of not having to wash it up when you get back home as the restaurant took care of it.

See one answered question