5.0 out of 5 stars awesome
Published on 24 April 2010 by Mr Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars PS3 "Just Cause 2"
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by Derek

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
this game is just awesome. the graphics are brilliant, the physics are clever and the gameplay is immense. there is an in-game video recorder built in, and if you have an internet connection, you can upload it straight to youtube. the map is huge, and for a map this size, the graphics are not limited, in fact, they are better than most of the games i've seen. the use of the parachute and the grapple is incredibly fun. this game is a mix of gta4, gta san Andrea's, cod, and the original just cause game. i would recommend this game to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 13 April 2010
PSN: ainsz (Nottinghamshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Just Cause was never a game I particularly enjoyed, it was too buggy, too ugly and surprisingly too boring. So I wasn't expecting much from it's inevitable sequel.

The game gets straight to the point on the first mission by dropping you into fully fledged rampage, with lots of big guns and gadgets at your disposal. Basically, all you do is blow stuff up, fuel tanks, broadcasting towers, generators etc.. Which doesn't sound great but honestly, it is one hell of a spectacle watching propane tanks flying into the sky carrying a soldier with it... then blowing up... then watching the man who is barely alive falling to his demise... then watching his blood and guts splatter all over the floor. It's amazing and it all happens in about 3 or so seconds, it's so fast paced and it flows so well with the rest of the gameplay you just walk through all the missions but the carnage never stops. The missions, to keep variety going, have loose objectives, but you barely notice them as the primary objective, you just want to blow stuff up on the way. The first mission for instance has you collect data files that have fallen from your helicopter. But they just so happened to fall into a big explosive fuel station. Great!

But the main missions, called agency missions, play a very small part to the game. Just Cause 2 is massive... Literally. It is a free roaming game, and the space you are able to roam in is mind bogglingly big! around 1000km2 which consists of countryside, jungles, snowy mountains, deserts and a city which by itself would qualify to be a game map it's that big. The islands all come together to form a country called "Panau" which is cluttered with towns, villages, airfields, Oil rigs, Military bases and so on, all of which you can takeover and keep as your strongholds in which you can store weapons and have your own sort of gang to stand guard or take with you on missions and taking over other facilities.

Having the amazing map with loads in it is one thing, but what's even better is that you can destroy it! Almost everything explodes in this game, and when you cause explosions, you cause chaos, and when you cause chaos, you earn err... Chaos points, which go towards new things like Agency Missions, Stronghold Missions, Faction Missions and best of all, Black Market Items. Now when you earn alot of chaos points in one go, you also earn alot of money. and money is spent on black market items. You can see the greatness of this system. The Black Market has just about everything, from measly parachutes to to heat seeking rocket launchers! All kinds of vehicles are available too, from boats, cars to Apache helicopters. All of the items you can buy on the black market are also upgradeable, which is made possible by collecting weapon and vehicle parts that you find all over Panau. Another neat feature of the Black Market is that you can have extractions from one part of the map to the other, and it's completely free! It really helps as it takes along time to drive around. My only complaint about the Black Market feature is that you can't keep your bought items, you have buy them each time you want them, you can't just store them in a garage like you could in GTA. It can prove quite expensive. Also you can only purchase one item at a time, so if you want multiple items at one time, you have to wait for the menu to load up and off. Gets annoying...

That isn't games only flaw, there are a few. First off, Loading times, seriously, I know the game is massive but waiting for the damn thing to load is sometimes frustrating, and it has to load quite alot. When your wanting The Black Market, When you die, when you start the game. Another thing is the controls, they work great in most areas of the game but sometimes they really let you down. For instance, I want to land my helicopter which I intend to get back in after, to descend in a helicopter you hold "L2". Which makes perfect sense. But "L2" is also used to drop grenades. You can see where this going. I land the helicopter get out drop a grenade next to my helicopter, my helicopter blows up that causes an explosion which causes chaos which means feds. are now after me and i have nothing to escape in! ...And I wasted a grenade! One last thing that bothers me is that the game is still very buggy, like the first Just Cause, only Just Cause 2 can be patched... I await that patch.

The game technically is amazing, the graphics are beautiful, as good as GTA IVs, i'm not joking. Except the vehicles look a bit cartoony' but it's ok. AI. is surprisingly quite intelligent, just a few mishaps occur when the enemy is driving, but it's quite funny to watch so it's all good... I love this game, i haven't yet became bored, just exhausted. A definite buy for anyone who loves adventure and/or action!

4.0 out of 5 stars This game is so much fun!, 18 April 2010
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I got this game for my birthday and I have been really impressed with the fun and humour in the gamhave sat for the last 6 hours playing it with a silly smile on my face. I have to confess that I haven't completed the game but this review has been written to share the sheer joy that this game will bring. One key thing is to set your upscaler to the maximum setting on this game (this needs to be done in game settings in the xmb)as there is a line that travels across the screen if this isn't set which is really distracting!

To start with, this game is HUGE! I am agog at how big this game is. Everybody else has mentioned it, but I didn't appreciate how big this game is. To walk across the map would take hours...even crossing in a helicopter took 20 minutes! Unlike GTA IV you can go anywhere and do anything (there are no road blocks stopping you). It is up to the player to explore the island and find out what is out there. It appears that you can not go into buildings (I may be wrong) you can ride every vehicle and use any found weapons.

The cool thing about this game is the use of the grappling hook. This extends around 400m and can be used to rappel up and across buildings, to pull statues over, pull enemies off their feet and to move quickly across the map. This is used with the parachute to allow the player to fly and move around quickly. There is a wealth of things to do and ways of achieving them. One thing I loved was when an Appache Helicopter attacks you, unlike GTA IV where you would use a rocket launcher, in this game you rappel up to the helicopter and throw the pilot out!!

I may update this review when I have finished the story mode of the game, but I think that there may be a long way to go as this game is not completable in a few hours, but I will say this is a bloody great game. I am not fond of the GTA games, but this is like GTA and Spiderman and Arkham Asylum all mixed together! You will love this!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what the publishers says it does, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I like free-ranging sandbox RPG games and bought this on the back of strong reviews.

Stuff I don't quite like.
I took a while to get into this game. I find the hero unlikable with little personality, and he seems all but homeless. The game seemed so open I found it difficult to know where to start. So, I found it took some getting used to. I dislike being dumped back in crummy autosave bases with little fun equipment in them. It seemed a bonus just to get a helicopter. Why can't Rico have a beach house where we can park cars / trucks acquired, and a chopper or two? Oh well. For this I knock off an overall star.

Stuff I do like!!
While some complain the lack of ammunition stalls the game, I find it's not so bad: enemies drop plenty and careful choice of weapon lets me pick it up easily. But I find it's more fun to think laterally. How handy to have all those propane bottles, gas cylinders and fuel drums in strategic places! The grappling hook is a key piece and I can do all sorts with it! In one stretch of game play I grappled and hijacked six helicopters. Everything, even an unarmed helicopter, can be a weapon. Car all but wrecked? Point it at a petrol station and jump out.

The manic government of Panau and its hapless soldiers are a treat. And after each mission we hear the government's increasingly desperate radio broadcast spin on damage caused by Rico, for instance "...we are pleased to announce next Tuesday will be Happy Execution Day...". The enemy AI is amusing; in road chases their bikers and motor vehicles - even helicopters - meet all sorts of self-inflicted disasters. Great fun seeing a security jeep rush in only to hit an embankment and go flying right overhead to its explosive doom - and not a finger lifted on my part. As for tying soldiers to propane bottles and firing at the bottle...need I say more?

OK, vehicle handling is not brilliant but varies (as it should) with vehicle type and some are nice to handle; I like the military bikes. Despite the handling I often use the handbrake to corner and really enjoy hurtling around. Oncoming traffic and obstacles are a fine way to scrape off pursuit with outrageous crashes. Planes and choppers are also enjoyable to use. So five stars for fun.

The graphics.
Given the vast land and waterscapes available, the life in them, and the huge range of activities, I think it is ungenerous to moan about graphics. I've played a lot of games and I think JC2's graphics are pretty good - way better than many games but not as complex as the top end ones. I think the developers should be given huge credit for their creation. The weather and day hours are dynamic - I love the thunderstorms. I think the landscapes / waterscapes look gorgeous and a lot stands up to close examination as well as providing detailed long-range panoramas. Explosions are rendered really well; big fuel dumps are a treat! So far as I know, there are very few interiors beyond FMV sequences, but the exteriors are completely explorable. Only certain targets can be damaged; it is not all destructible. Sound-wise the environment is good (try putting some quality headphones on and find a quiet jungle spot). And there are some great Easter Eggs tucked away.

My conclusion.
I find this game great fun, very over-the-top and rewards off-the-wall thinking and action. If it feels repetitive after a while, then I just use different ways to get results. I am surprised at how many ways I can tackle things and how much fun I can have with the place. And there is just so much of it! If I had to ask for improvements, then I'd say: give Rico a home in Panau and let him have a life outside being a robot with a grapple. Let's have some interiors, see the social side of Panau and the human side of the characters with some added personal storylines. The publishers are releasing DLC - my suggestion is to add this as a pack and let us really get into Panau!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
This is one of the best action games I have played on the PS3.If you like full on, adventure,action,shootemup type games,this is for you.I also love the grappling hook which you can use to explore rooftops etc,and also to play around with,for example hooking vehicles to other vehicles etc!Occasionally the missions are a bit unclear and hard to follow,but still a brilliant game.

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is amazing, 13 April 2010
Mr. J. T. Grover (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have spent 12 hours on this game so far and haven't got bored once yet!! Amazingly I have only completed 4% of the game in that time as well. The game is amazing but without its slight annoyancies. The graphics are outstanding and the varied map details are so picturesque you forget its a game at times and start believing its real with its breathtaking panoramic beauty. I haven't had a single slowdown on the PS3 yet considering the game world is huge and varied throughout. The only annoying things are that the military come out of nowhere (and usually behind you) when you are causing the necessary chaos (I suppose this is part of the game engine similar to GTA 4). The distance at which you can see important landmarks is very impressive and most buildings etc can be seen from the other side of the game map (if you are high enough). However, like GTA 4, cars and other transport are rendered far too close in my opinion and appear from nowhere especially when a few feet up in the air and I fell that this takes some of the realistic beauty and detail out of the game. However, I am expecting that the PS3's graphics card is probably already on overload trying to keep up with the immensity of the game so I can forgive the game engine for doing this!! Another gripe I have is when hijacking a helicopter or plane. You cannot simply lay triggered explosives on it when dangling from it which bugged me in a small way. Another small gripe is that the buildings cannot be detroyed like in Battlefield- Bad Company 2 which is a shame as everything else in the game is practically destroyable. This game is truely amazing and I feel that if they had brought this destructive dynamics to buildings in to the game as seen in Battlefield- Bad Company 2's this game would be impossible to beat on gameplay and sheer and utter action packed enjoyment this year. The game physics, explosions, graphics and gameplay are amazing and will keep you coming back for more and more. Think of the game as a cheesy action packed movie where unrealstic and insane hollywood stunts are conducted every minute and are mixed in with random shooting and explosions.....this is Just Cause 2 wrapped up neatly in a bag. If you get this game you will be playing it for days and can kiss your family and social life good bye in that time too!!

3.0 out of 5 stars PS3 "Just Cause 2", 13 Jan 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Usual shoot 'em up type of game but with a clever twist, a built in "grappling hook" on our heroes left arm which can be used with devastating effect. The game also gives the option of pursuing given guidance or wandering off to play with all manner of transport type ( land, sea and air ) and plenty of fire power with a choice of weapons. Oh! forgot to mention our heroes built in parachute. A good buy if you like something a bit different.

5.0 out of 5 stars I join the fan club, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I join the club of those that love this game!

Agree, it is massive and long to complete, but it is a gem nowadays, when most of new games can be finished in 4 hours.

Maybe something has changed since the times other reviewers reported bugs, I didn't suffer from them at all. In the contrary, this game is so far the one that never crashed! I'm surprised.

Now my more detailed opinion:

+++
* Gameplay: main missions, side missions, choice of vehicles - excellent. Will take weeks and weeks to play.
* Graphics: I think that graphics are very very good. The game is more in pop colours, not the typical grey-brown war style, therefore you hae to probaly get used to it. The details are excellent, the effects perfect as well. I didn't expect such quality.
* Tech aspects - I can't say that loading times were too long, just ok.

---
* Gameplay: yes, here it is as well. Big choice of missions is good, but be prepared to discover most of locations fully in order to complete the platinum. At some point you just get tired as there is nothing else to do but going to a new location and looking for those crates again and again and again.
* No multiplayer. But the huge single player compensates it. As a "bonus" you don't need to desperately seek for online trophies.
* Bad advertising. I didn't want to buy this game for a long time thinking that it would be crap after looking at some trailers and descriptions. Good I took the risk (for just a couple of pounds though :0)

If you liked the games like Tomb rider, bond, uncharted etc and you are still hesitating on JC2, go for it.
It's much better than the sacred COD Black ops... (IMHO, of course)

4.0 out of 5 stars The gaming equivalent of a Michael Bay film - could get repetitive but when it's this much fun...., 16 Nov 2010
Richard Howlett "HappyRichard" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I've been playing JC2 now for about 30 hours total (at about 3 or 4 hours a week) and I think it is one the most enjoyable games I've ever bought. There isn't a whole lot of strategy involved and the opening 1/2 hour or so, when you have to work through some pre-set levels under the guise of learning how the game controls and world work, was a little frustrating (although quite helpful for learning a few tricks I'd not worked out playing a demo version earlier in the year) but there is just so much stuff to blow up! You can find an armed helicopter and blow things up. You can drive a mini-tank and blow things up. You can fly a fighter jet and blow things up. You can chuck grenades about and.... well you get the idea.

The number of different of weapons laying about gives you different ways of approaching the same problem. There are some missions, for example, where the sniper rifle is extremely useful (taking out tower guards from out of sight) and others when, quite frankly, you'd be better off carrying a large club on your back. Do you want to nip quickly around a compound relying on a submachine gun and stealth or do you want to lumber round slowly carrying an appropriated minigun, blowing up all before you? The variety of vehicles (including all those great blowy-uppy ones mentioned earlier) is vast. I've so far found at least 6 types of military helicopter plus a couple of civilian ones, 3 types of jet, lost count of the number of cars and motorbikes, lorries, buses, fire engines (all three great for pulling the heads off statues, by the way), loads of boats and various armoured cars.

There is, loosely, a storyline running through the game but it really isn't that important. Nothing is as important as the explosions. Whether you are hovering in a helicopter raining rockets and minigun shells down on a fuel depot or triggering explosives left on a propaganda trailer, the explosions are huge and very satisfying. They will also, of course, kill you if you happen to be caught in the middle of one. Like when your helicopter is shot down by the SAM site you forgot about, or you fail to find the runway in a civilian jet almost the size of a 747!

The game 'world' is huge and covers desert, jungle, snow-swept mountains, villages, industrial and military complexes and built up areas. There is even stuff to find underwater. The controls are pretty easy to master (there aren't really any weird button combinations to remember) and when they change function, when you jump in a helicopter for example, they are clearly flagged up on screen. The graphics, while not pin sharp, are more than adequate and mostly very smooth. There is sufficient gore to be satisfying when you shoot an enemy or run somebody over, but it's not too strong. That, and the only slightly ripe language used, is how it stays as a 15 cert I guess. This, in particular, made my kids very happy because I won't let them play 18s yet but JC2 keeps them amused for hours. The howls of laughter as the younger one tried to show me that you can fly a civilian airliner and then went straight across the runway into a forest.... Well, it was funnier than most of that evening's television, that's for sure.

To sum up, if you are looking for the game equivalent of a Michael Bay film (not a lot of plot but man alive those explosions are cool) then Just Cause 2 fits the bill perfectly. Highly entertaining, just don't take it too seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for Money, 7 Nov 2010
Mr. C. Leith (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Cause 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
If you like open world play and love total destruction, than this game is for you.
its a real value for money game

Just Cause 2 (PS3)
Just Cause 2 (PS3) by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)