5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing pictures for the price
I just bought this lens for a friends wedding to take some nice portrait shots. It was a bit of an impulse buy as I bought it the day before the wedding so had no time to practice with it, and as this was my first prime lens I didn't want to splash out too much. Wow. I am so glad I got this lens. The pictures turned out beautifully. The f/1.8 worked brilliantly in the low...
Published on 12 April 2010 by T. Crinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon and Sony manage to muck up a simple cashback promotion for this lens
Dear Amazon & Sony,

Can you explain why there is so much confusion around the cashback for this lens?

I plan to buy this but like others I'm confused by the cashback offer for the lens/

I called Sony today and was assured that the lens was eligible for a £30 cashback. I can find this documented on the Amazon site (see URL below) but the...
Published 19 days ago by JA Black

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait lens, 23 Feb 2010
C. F. Turner (GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
Genuine Sony. Used to take portraits on a A300 and a A550 with in my opinion exellent results. Very impressed with the low light capabilities. have taken some good outdoor/scenic shots also. Does look a bit cheap/plasticy, but all lower price Sony lenses look this way. A good addition to your kit lenses.

After 20 months or so the lens is still looking good and am still amazed at the performance for the price. I have borrowed a semi profesional 50mm lens and there is obviously a diference, but for the hobby/keen photographer, I would save the extra £200+ and put to a camera upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars very versatile entry level 50 mm lens, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
been looking to get a 50mm for my sony a200 for some time and toyed with the idea of getting a second-hand minolta. looked at a good few reviews of this lens though and was convinced that it was great value for money.
at this price certain sacrifices are made with the materials used in construction. as 'S. Achamfuo-Yeboah' mentioned it is rather plasticy. even the bayonet is plastic. it does feel solid though and the lack of metal makes for a very lightweight piece of kit (compared to my sigma 35 - 70mm it weighs virtually nothing). as the a200 isn't a full frame dslr the lens has an equivalent focal length of 75mm.
the autofocus is accurate and quiet (but not silent). it produces images that have excellent quality right across the frame...i've not noticed any falloff at all. photographs suffer from very little distortion, colours are well reproduced and performance in low light is really good.
the wide aperture can produce some excellent depth of field effects but f/1.8 can be a bit excessive...f/2.8 might be a better choice.
very happy with this...it hasn't been off my camera for very long at all since i bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cheap fast lens for indoors and portraits, 16 Mar 2010
M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I own two lenses (apart from the kit lens that comes with the Sony Alpha 200) - the Sony SAL18250 (18-250 zoom) and this lens.

Between then, I get the best of all worlds - a good outdoor walk-around lens (the 18-250), and a nice portrait/indoor/low light lens (the SAL50F18).

The only downside of this lens (SAL50F18) is that it is a different diameter from most other lenses (including most Sony kit lenses), so if you have any filters, you will either have to buy an adapter ring or invest in another filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your first purchase, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
While this is certainly not the most versatile of lens thanks to its set focal length, any photographer will tell you of the benefits of owning a good fast Prime lens. at 50mm it is ideal for portraits, though in confined spaces it can be an issue.

The fantastic F1.8 produces a wonderfully shallow depth of field with a pin point clarity that is truly exceptional for the price. Compared to the standard kit lens, the difference is astounding. Put the two images side by side, and you can instantly see the difference in quality between the two lens (of course, the 18-55mm kit lens is a lot more flexible). the SAM motor is also exceptionally fast and almost completely Silent (shaming my uber-zooms noisey motor).

I held off picking up a prime lens due to the aparant lack of flexibility regarding the focal length, and now wish i hadn't. While it certainly has it draw backs, it now spends most of its time on the camera, and the quality of my Portraits is night and day.

Highly recommends for any photographer as the first addition you buy your new SLR, i cant recommend this lens enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Excellent - Excellent..., 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I love this lens!!! It is excellent for portraits, and has been used a lot for journalistic style wedding shots. You won;t be disappointed with this lens. As an aside - stick this on a camera and give it to a 5 year old. Everyone loves a five year old taking photos - you get the most fantastic portraits like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony 50mm f1.8 sam lens, 25 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I've been thinking of getting one of these lens for a long time, so many people rave about the quality of the images through it, my mistake was I didn't get it sooner, since buying the lens it hasn't been off the camera, image quality is superb and the depth of field is amazing with the lens producing some very nice bokeh effects.

I've been using it mostly at the f1.8 end, many reviews say that to get the sharpest images you need to use it around f2.8, I'm happy wiht the images at f1.8 and love the effects you can achieve by focusing on set points on your image, the depth of field is so small at f1.8 that you can achieve so remarkable images with parts nicely blurred.

If you are thinking fo buying this lens, don't think any longer, just get it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bargain, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
For the past couple of years I've been using zoom lenses on my A200 as I didn't think that a prime lens would offer any real advantages. Well, I was wrong.

The lens is very light (i.e. high plastic content) but I find that a bonus. It's easier to lug my camera around than with my zoom lens. As with all my lenses I fitted a UV filter to protect the lens but I don't think you really need it with this one as the optics are so well recessed. However I sometimes use a polarising filter so I needed a hood of some sort to prevent glare. Thankfully I managed to pick up a cheap rubber hood for a couple of quid and it works perfectly.

On the side of the lens is a manual/automatic focus switch with focusing being as noisy and as fast/slow as any other lens. I thought that it would be quieter and faster but it isn't. In manual mode there is a bit of slop in the focus ring but it doesn't cause any problems. With a maximum F stop of 1.8 bokeh is impressive. The only thing you need to watch out for is that depth of field is very limited at F1.8 and can catch you out if you're not careful. Not a problem but just something to be aware of.

Sharpness is excellent, CA is non-existent and the minimal distortion is an absolute God send when it comes to editing images. With my old lens I would spend hours removing CA and lens distortion. Now I have so little editing to do that it almost feels like cheating.

The only real downside to a prime lens is there are times where a zoom lens or at least a lens with a different focal length is required. I was in London last week and found it quite frustrating not being able to get far enough back from or close enough to the subject. As I was determined not to resort to a zoom I only had the 50mm with me so I was stuck.

Overall though this is a brilliant lens. Quality images and low price make it an absolute must for the enthusiast. Just take another lens with you for those tricky shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
Lovely little lens. Everyone should have one of these in their basic kit. Good price and does what it should.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little lens for a low price, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I use the Sony A77 camera and I have the kit lens plus a couple of lenses from my old a100 and a 100mm macro lens. I wanted a lens that I could use to start experimenting with for portraits and this one fit the bill.

Other reviews will tell you of its plasticky feel and, yes, it does feel incredibly light and not particularly durable. However, if looked after, am sure it could last for many years.

I started doing wedding photography and for getting started it is great. It should be mentioned it is a DT lens so is only compatible with APS size sensors and not full-frame cameras.

I am likely to be upgrading to a full frame camera in the next year or so and know that this lens will not be compatible. However, for a second camera it is light and can take some beautiful and sharp images.

FOr the price it is a pretty good purchase and I would definitely recommend it as it will allow you to get right down to f1.8 to allow shallow depth of field and use in relatively low light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice lens!, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I got this during a very deep discount and I'm not disappointed at all. In fact, it's sort of become my primary lens due to its compact size and weight.

Lower light conditions are really easy to shoot in compared to my other lenses though sometimes I've noticed that if I leave it on autofocus it doesn't quite pick up the subject I was aiming at compared to those other lenses.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18)