5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing pictures for the price
Published on 12 April 2010 by T. Crinson

3.0 out of 5 stars I have looked on the Sony website to confirm that ...
I have looked on the Sony website to confirm that this lens is part of the cashback deal as advertised here but could not find it, I phoned Sony directly and they confirmed that it was not part of the deal? Maybe this should be looked at by Amazon as it appears to be false advertising?
Published 3 days ago by Mark T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing pictures for the price, 12 April 2010
T. Crinson (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I just bought this lens for a friends wedding to take some nice portrait shots. It was a bit of an impulse buy as I bought it the day before the wedding so had no time to practice with it, and as this was my first prime lens I didn't want to splash out too much. Wow. I am so glad I got this lens. The pictures turned out beautifully. The f/1.8 worked brilliantly in the low light conditions at the reception and it remained very fast so there was no motion blur in the portraits; nor in the smoke from the cigars they were smoking!

Some of the other reviews have said about there being too much "Bokeh" ( the nice blur of the photograph out of the main area of focus ) and I disagree, I think there is a pleasing level of it and it makes for some lovely effects, but this is subjective.

I do agree with another reviewer about it feeling plasticky, but it doesn't feel flimsy, but I wouldn't treat it any less carefully than any other lens because of it.

Since purchasing this lens it hasn't been off the camera and I think I will have a great time learning the ins and outs of prime lens photography.

For reference it's fitted to my Sony Alpha 300.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any DSLR user, 29 Mar 2010
Mr. G. Manning "Harry's Dad" (Hemel Hempstead, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I've had mine 4 months now and have taken the best pictures ever with this lens. The depth of field / blur you can create is great and it allows you to shoot in lower light than the kit lens (assuming yours starts at f3.5 like mine). Since using it I've moved away from opening it right up at f1.8 (as others have mentioned) because it can be a bit soft but some of the pictures I've taken have got great praise in online forums and my Flickr pages. I think every photographer needs a 50mm prime in their case. If I had the money, maybe I may have bought the f1.4 but I don't think you really need to. The auto-focus seems fast enough, not noticed it being noisy and because it's smaller than a zoom, you can get away with taking pictures in public without sticking out like a sore thumb. I haven't noticed that the build quality feels cheap - just like any of your kit, be careful with it and it will last. I've only taken it off the camera twice this year and put it back on within 10 minutes because it's so much better than my kit lens. Only problem is, once you try a faster lens, you'll want to spend even more on a large aperture zoom and that could hurt your wallet !

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid performance at a reasonable price, 9 Oct 2010
A. Styles - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
When I bought this lens I was looking at doing some portraits of my other half and her sister. It turned out to be the right choice.

This lens is a prime lens which means the image quality is better than most zooms would be at 50mm focal length. CA, pincushioning, and vignetting are not noticable on my example (on a Alpha 500 body). The autofocus is very quick and accurate and works quite well in low light compared to most other lenses, and the lenses' overall low light performance is pretty good. You do not tend to get the 'hunting' focus problem so much with this lens. The aperture of f1.8 is good at focusing out your background which really helps if the background to your subject is cluttered or distracting. It also tends to soften the subject a tad but in a pleasing way as though you are intending to. This can be cured if it is not desired by moving the aperture to f2 onwards.

On the downside on this lens the manual focus ring is tiny and doesn't lend itself too well to being used for that purpose which is a bit of a pity. Also, this lens has a diameter of 49mm which means if you have a Sony kit lens and you have some filters for it they won't fit unless you buy an adaptor ring as they tend to be 55mm diameter.

This is a good performer for this price and I recommend it if you are planning to start taking portraits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, decent performance, 23 Jan 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
For the asking price (around £90 odd at the time of this review) this is quite a decent little lens.
In many way similar to the Canon 50mm f1.8 the lens is pricey cheaply with a few downsides but nothing that is too scary at this price point.

I'll kick off with the bullet list of pros and cons, I've used about 3 copies of this lens over various time periods and did not notice any significant differences between the lenses.

Pro's:
+ Well priced, for under £90 you get a fast prime for low light work/depth of field control
+ Optics are good, decent performance wide open (ie usable at f1.8)
+ Distortion is minimal and unlikely to cause a problem
+ Nice out of focus redering mostly pleasing (subjective but that's my take)
+ Some vignetting but not that bad really better than average for an APS-C lens

Con's:
- It is cheap but the build quality isn't anything to get excited about, plastic mount and casing are expected but I think the feel of the lens could be better (ie more density to the plastics) Not a deal breaker, nor would I be overly concerned about durability if you look after your lenses.
- CA can be an issue it does improve a bit stopping down but it's seen esp on out of focus areas. Not unusual for a fast prime lens just something to note
- SAM in lens motor has no real advantage over screw drive though the AF accuracy seems fine here. It's a little quieter than screw drive lenses but not silent. Focus ring is very small and a basic painted distance scale.
- You cannot use DMF (if your camera supports it) with the SAM lens motor
- APS-C only. Strange move by Sony on this as most makers have their f1.8 50mm primes as full frame lenses. Not likely to bother most, just bear it in mind if you sometimes use a full frame camera.
- No hood. I doubt many will use it but it would have been nice to have one

Overall hard to complain for the asking price which is very decent. It's good Sony have an affordable prime lens for users to get started with. I would have liked better build, a full frame lens and a metal mount (and I'd happily pay more for that) It might be worth looking at the 35mm f1.8 budget prime for general use (50mm works quite well for portraits)

The other alternative is the Minolta 50mm f1.7 which has a metal mount, is full frame and far superior build, built in hood and is screw driven. Optics wise they are fairly close though again copies of the Minolta can vary too.

Update 12/2013
As the price has gone up a bit I think most buyers will be better served with either a 35mm f1.8 (costs slightly more but probably the best of the Sony budget primes) Or grab a Minolta 50mm f1.7 second hand. The 50mm f1.8 isn't a bad lens, but it's not worth paying more than about £90-£100 at most.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lens, a little plasticky though, 4 Nov 2009
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I've had this lens for about 3months now. This is a great lens at a rather good price. F1.8 is really fast, and satisfied my desires for a fast lens for low light and portrait shots.

Pictures are crisp and sharp, almost unbelievably so, especially if you've grown used to the kit lens. You'll find that F1.8 gives way too much Bokeh very quickly. I don't go below F2 nowadays, and its still quite fast.

My only qualm about is the build quality. It's quite plasticky, and I'd recommend insurance on this baby. Mine is still great, but I handle it very carefully.

4.0 out of 5 stars great lens for the price, 21 April 2010
Mr. P. J. Holbrook "minolta enthusiast" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
Sony SAL-50F18 SAM 50mm F1.8 Portrait LensVery happy with this lens, exactly what I expected after reading reviews and performance charts and samples. Well worth every penny and while the bokeh is a little wild at 1.8 aperture it is easy to go to 2.8+ to tone it down a little if needed. Portraits are just great and some very interesting (nearly) macro is possible with this lens. Buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but good lens, 10 Jun 2012
luke997 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
This is very good prime lens - using it with A550 and A77.

Yes, it is a bit plasticky and doesn't feel solid, but optically is very good.

I am not professional photographer but to me eyes it produces good sharp images and auto focus is fast.

Definitely recommended as general use / portrait lens.

I also have SAL 35F18 which is a bit better and due to being wider it's more versatile - especially for indoor portraits, but this one is a keeper too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
Excellent results from this Sony Prime lens, far better than can be achieved from any 'zoom' lens.
No picture impairments have been seen, and the wide aperture gives excellent results.
The only loss of a star is for the build quality 'feel', it does not inspire confidence though to be fair there is nothing to suggest this.
Great picture results from this lens, and very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Im so glad i bought this!, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
i asked my niece the other day if i could take some snaps of her new born.This visit turned into a shoot if you will and i snapped over 400 odd shots for her.Even her hubby came along.Little did i know they had recently been to get some professional shots taken and were ripped off for four sub par pictures.I used my new sony sal 50mm sam portrait lens and soon became quite the pro myself.On my belly waiting for that perfect shot of Alfie...interacting with his toys with a 2.5 and 2.8 apperture set on continuous shoot.The pictures were breathtaking and i printed a number out and stored the rest on a dongle for my niece to take to a photoshop if she wanted any more.I learnt that this lens is fabulous and well worth the money.I printed out the pics for free and laughed at the 30 pound price tag of the so called pro shots.
This is ideal for portraits and group shoots and really sucks in the light.....highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional looking photos using this lens!, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18) (Accessory)
I bought this to take photos of my newly born son and this doesn't disappoint. Takes very good, professional photos. Why pay someone to take photos for you? Buy this lens and take your own photos. Works great with a Sony Alpha A230.

Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM (SAL-50F18)